I am a rookie in the world of brewed beverages. Any recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeerRookie

Reaction score
Ideally, I am looking for any information or guidance the good people of the beer world are willing to offer. I am sharing my growth and experiences here! any comments or advice is appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:
Did you just not bother changing Reddit to TalkBeer after posting this over there? Are you drunk?

edit: Oh I didn't actually realize you were just posting your blog everywhere. That makes the poorly thought out spam make more sense.
Fair assumption. It's for a class, I have to get 1000 views which would be the reason for multiple postings on the web. I am not typically one to spam sites. Although, I am genuinely interested in any recommendations anyone can offer.

I figured that forums would be a cool way to get other people's opinion on what qualifies as "must try" beers and to connect with those that are more knowledgeable in the subject.

Fair assumption. It's for a class, I have to get 1000 views which would be the reason for multiple postings on the web. I am not typically one to spam sites. Although, I am genuinely interested in any recommendations anyone can offer.
Had you started with this post , things might have gone smoother. As it is, you´re just another spam load that nobody wants to swallow.

F0y172i.gif

The main thing you MUST determine -

Which is better, Pliney or Heady?

Please post your thoughts as to which of these is the definitive American IPA.

You might try posting this on Facebook. There's a great beer group on there called "Sour and Barrel-Aged Ale Enthusiasts" full of mature, sophisticated, and friendly beer drinkers with tremendous beer drinking experience and refined palates that I'm sure would be delighted to contribute to this.

You might try posting this on Facebook. There's a great beer group on there called "Sour and Barrel-Aged Ale Enthusiasts" full of mature, sophisticated, and friendly beer drinkers with tremendous beer drinking experience and refined palates that I'm sure would be delighted to contribute to this.

Thank you for the tip! I will definitely give it a shot!

You have to get 1000 views for your class? You can buy 10k views 12 bucks, just google that **** dude.

Take your spam somewhere else ****er.

Simmer down. First of all, there's no need for the use of foul language - especially, when you know nothing about me. Second of all, I don't want to buy my my views - I prefer to earn my grades and education. Third of all, I am looking to connect with REAL people with knowledge and experience which is why I decided to come a forum instead of reading article after article about beer and advocates of it. Lastly, I made a mistake, my bad for being human.

Also, I am replying to posts and trying to engage and therefore am not spamming. I've posted one thing (granted, I've posted on multiple sites) and am genuinely interested in the thoughts of others. But, I thank you for your input. And in the future when providing your opinion of what others should or should not do, steer clear of using vile language as it automatically discredits nearly every aspect of your statement.

Mistakes happen, people aren't perfect.

And in the future when providing your opinion of what others should or should not do, steer clear of using vile language as it automatically discredits nearly every aspect of your statement.

Well **** me then, I've been ****ing it up the whole goddamn time. ****...

Simmer down. First of all, there's no need for the use of foul language - especially, when you know nothing about me. Second of all, I don't want to buy my my views - I prefer to earn my grades and education. Third of all, I am looking to connect with REAL people with knowledge and experience which is why I decided to come a forum instead of reading article after article about beer and advocates of it. Lastly, I made a mistake, my bad for being human.

Also, I am replying to posts and trying to engage and therefore am not spamming. I've posted one thing (granted, I've posted on multiple sites) and am genuinely interested in the thoughts of others. But, I thank you for your input. And in the future when providing your opinion of what others should or should not do, steer clear of using vile language as it automatically discredits nearly every aspect of your statement.

Welcome to talk beer.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

LOL you're gonna go real far in this world. Enjoy your first world privilege while it lasts plonker.

To make this a bit meta - this is why I hate modern social media/media teaching. 1000 views is completely meaningless in the greater scheme of things. It's an arbitrary metric that anyone can achieve by making some garbage content and spamming it a bunch of places. But that attitude is what's lead to the cesspool that is instagram. Just trash and hashtags and people glad handing themselves for getting a double click.

I was chatting to a social media guy yesterday and he was pumping up his achievements and then snapchat came up and I said how much I've been enjoying it. His response was "yeah but do you follow any brands or is it just your friends". Like if there were no brands there then it wasn't useful. The fact that all I see is the dumb **** my friends post is what makes it social media. Not that you're jamming **** down my throat because some agency hired you to get a few clicks.

Here's some real honest feedback: If you want 1000 views, post to reddit with "this is my first post, would love your feedback" on r/beer, craftbeer, beerblogs, your local beer sub - but chances are people aren't going to like it or upvote. That's because your site is bright yellow and hurts my eyes. It looks like hot garbage tbh. Get a better template. Also your content is pretty pedestrian and exactly the same as the countless other beer blogs out there.

Post some tired opinion that most dumbshits are going to agree with like "Sours are the new IPA" or "Are hops getting too much?" Or "Girls like craft beer too!!!!!" (then you can cross post to female subreddits. They eat that **** up). Take that Belching Beaver post and talk about the fact that it's sexist and crass and how modern females should expect and deserve more from their beer. It's 50% of the market and this circlejerk bro ******** is insulting to everyone's intelligence.

Or just copy this post, put it on your site and spam it to a bunch of marketing and soc med places and spam the **** out of the hashtags. You'll probably get some shares but no engagement because welcome to the world of modern media where we can measure the **** out of everything but no one really cares about your content.

Jesus, you all need to lighten up. I'd take someone such as OP who has an interest/curiosity in this, even if for a class, than some ass hat from BA/Reddit/FB. Wouldn't you?

OP, people on TB are some of the most generous you will come across both in and outside the beer world (and most definitely apart from places listed above). That said, there are unwritten rules. Seems you're aware of that now.

Read thru some of the 'General Beer Topics' threads to get started. Ask questions, post comments, get involved; this community gives back immensely once you start giving to it. Have fun out there.

And lastly, welcome to TalkBeer!

Last edited:
To make this a bit meta - this is why I hate modern social media/media teaching. 1000 views is completely meaningless in the greater scheme of things. It's an arbitrary metric that anyone can achieve by making some garbage content and spamming it a bunch of places. But that attitude is what's lead to the cesspool that is instagram. Just trash and hashtags and people glad handing themselves for getting a double click.

I was chatting to a social media guy yesterday and he was pumping up his achievements and then snapchat came up and I said how much I've been enjoying it. His response was "yeah but do you follow any brands or is it just your friends". Like if there were no brands there then it wasn't useful. The fact that all I see is the dumb **** my friends post is what makes it social media. Not that you're jamming **** down my throat because some agency hired you to get a few clicks.

Here's some real honest feedback: If you want 1000 views, post to reddit with "this is my first post, would love your feedback" on r/beer, craftbeer, beerblogs, your local beer sub - but chances are people aren't going to like it or upvote. That's because your site is bright yellow and hurts my eyes. It looks like hot garbage tbh. Get a better template. Also your content is pretty pedestrian and exactly the same as the countless other beer blogs out there.

Post some tired opinion that most dumbshits are going to agree with like "Sours are the new IPA" or "Are hops getting too much?" Or "Girls like craft beer too!!!!!" (then you can cross post to female subreddits. They eat that **** up). Take that Belching Beaver post and talk about the fact that it's sexist and crass and how modern females should expect and deserve more from their beer. It's 50% of the market and this circlejerk bro ******** is insulting to everyone's intelligence.

Or just copy this post, put it on your site and spam it to a bunch of marketing and soc med places and spam the **** out of the hashtags. You'll probably get some shares but no engagement because welcome to the world of modern media where we can measure the **** out of everything but no one really cares about your content.

I enjoyed reading this post, but I do find it a little dramatic and narrow-minded. When an individual posts something, it usually serves a purpose. When I post my link it is to get views - because that is my assignment. Not every person uses social media just to connect with friends. Some use it as a marketing tool which has proven to be useful, especially in today's economy. Furthermore, the intent is not to jam content down your throat - it's to get exposure. It's not as if I forced you to click on my post here and then forced you to click on the link found in my post. You chose to do that. And who are you to judge other people on their reasons for using social media? What are your credentials deeming your opinion to be something that matters?

I'm sorry you feel my posts are mediocre, but I am a student and I am still developing my skill. And for a blog that I started 5 weeks ago I think it's pretty damn good - and so does my professor seeing as I have received A's on every post I have put up. Also, my site is not bright yellow. I chose my template because it is simple and clean. But, you are entitled to your opinion - which by the way, no one really cares about.

I enjoyed reading this post, but I do find it a little dramatic and narrow-minded. When an individual posts something, it usually serves a purpose. When I post my link it is to get views - because that is my assignment. Not every person uses social media just to connect with friends. Some use it as a marketing tool which has proven to be useful, especially in today's economy. Furthermore, the intent is not to jam content down your throat - it's to get exposure. It's not as if I forced you to click on my post here and then forced you to click on the link found in my post. You chose to do that. And who are you to judge other people on their reasons for using social media? What are your credentials deeming your opinion to be something that matters?

I'm sorry you feel my posts are mediocre, but I am a student and I am still developing my skill. And for a blog that I started 5 weeks ago I think it's pretty damn good - and so does my professor seeing as I have received A's on every post I have put up. Also, my site is not bright yellow. I chose my template because it is simple and clean. But, you are entitled to your opinion - which by the way, no one really cares about.

Yeah I'm just jaded - but it comes from doing this for almost a decade and doing it professionally. So while presented harshly it is the truth. If you enjoy it and people read it then keep doing it. That is the biggest key to having a successful blog. Your enjoyment. That will come through on the page and it will keep you motivated even when you aren't getting any views. It has to be fun for you.

One of the big problems is that most people expect to get a ridiculous amount of views then give up when they don't. Getting an audience takes a lot of work. Keeping an audience takes a lot of work over a sustained period of time. That's why the "1000 views" thing is meaningless. Anyone can get 1000 views, but can they keep the views up and readers engaged? That's where most blogs fall down.

Seriously though, change the colour. If you take nothing from my post, at least take that. There is a reason major news sites all have black sans serif font, with a white background.

Yeah I'm just jaded - but it comes from doing this for almost a decade and doing it professionally. So while presented harshly it is the truth. If you enjoy it and people read it then keep doing it. That is the biggest key to having a successful blog. Your enjoyment. That will come through on the page and it will keep you motivated even when you aren't getting any views. It has to be fun for you.

One of the big problems is that most people expect to get a ridiculous amount of views then give up when they don't. Getting an audience takes a lot of work. Keeping an audience takes a lot of work over a sustained period of time. That's why the "1000 views" thing is meaningless. Anyone can get 1000 views, but can they keep the views up and readers engaged? That's where most blogs fall down.

Seriously though, change the colour. If you take nothing from my post, at least take that. There is a reason major news sites all have black sans serif font, with a white background.

I'll take it into consideration.

You're 25, a student, and one of your classes requires you to write a blog and spam for views?

Jeez. Law School is a lot easier than I thought.

One of the big problems is that most people expect to get a ridiculous amount of views then give up when they don't. Getting an audience takes a lot of work. Keeping an audience takes a lot of work over a sustained period of time. That's why the "1000 views" thing is meaningless.

You, sir, have had a way with words on this thread. Do you have a link to your blog? Would love to check it out.

I just don't trust anyone. My money is that we are all part of a social experiment. One post is made here with an avatar of a busty lass, another post is made somewhere else with a homely one, and another with a guy or something masculine to show how we'll all react.

You, sir, have had a way with words on this thread. Do you have a link to your blog? Would love to check it out.

I just don't trust anyone. My money is that we are all part of a social experiment. One post is made here with an avatar of a busty lass, another post is made somewhere else with a homely one, and another with a guy or something masculine to show how we'll all react.

I'm in Australia so it's probably not super relevant:

http://aleofatime.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back