Other Booze Ice Cider

Discussion in 'Whiskey, Wine & Other Booze' started by tom10101, Apr 11, 2015.

1. tom10101

tom10101

No thread about Ice Cider yet? I will try to post a few tasting notes/pictures here over the next few weeks.

You Schramm's lovers should give a try to La Face Cachée de la Pomme Neige Récolte d'Hiver (especially the '08 Harvest), I would go as far as to say it's almost as good (if not as good) as Heart of Darkness.

2. tom10101

tom10101

Here's one that I wanted to try for a long time because their "regular" Ice Cider is really good.

Leduc-Piedimonte Cidre de Glace Réserve Privée
    Harvest 2005
    abv: 11.5%
    Limited edition: 2200 bottles
    Price: 70$ CAD

This one is made from frozen apples (cryoextraction) instead of frozen juice (cryoconcentration) which partly explain the hefty price tag. For this one, the apples has been harvested in January 2006. It has also been aged in french oak barrels for 36 months.

Some tasting notes: Like most Ice Ciders made with frozen apples, this one is thick and quite sweet, but it's also well balanced by a sharp acidic presence. The oak also helps the balance. The long barrel-aging process make the oak shine in this one, which gives it a really unique profile. In most barrel-aged Ice Ciders (like LFC Neige Réserve), the oak presence is subtle and a bit hidden by the sweetness and the other components. A great Ice Cider!

3. quirkzoo

quirkzoo

Rempo Though he would probably prefer that no one else know about ice cider.

I have a family reunion in VT this summer, planning a road trip up to Le Face Cachee will report back to this thread.

Frank, Lurkaholic, FTowne and 2 others like this.
  4. tom10101

tom10101

Don't miss Domaine des Salamandres which is only 10 minutes by car from La Face Cachée and makes some amazing Ice Perry.

sliverx, Lurkaholic and quirkzoo like this.
  5. quirkzoo

quirkzoo

Nice, I will have to check them out as well.

sliverx, pdurrrr and tom10101 like this.
  6. tom10101

tom10101

Visited Cidrerie Cryo in Mont St-Hilaire today. Really nice place and the owner is a true passionnate.

The barrel in the picture is the only barrel of the future "Cryo Cidre de Glace Prestige Fût de Chêne". It will be the 2nd batch. It's a cryoextracted (frozen apples) ice cider, 100 % golden russet that will be aged for 2 years in that oak barrel. I didn't have the chance to try the first batch (473 bottles of 200 ml, released in december 2014) but the owner was really excited about it and plan to get more barrels.

Their product at the moment (all delicious) are:

- Cryo Mi-Cryo : Still Cider (10.8 % abv)
    - Cryo Mousseux: Sparkling Cider (9 % abv) - So good that it's now on Le Toqué! wine list
    - Cryo de Glace: Ice Cider (12 %) cryoconcentrated
    - Cryo de Glace Prestige: Ice Cider (12 %) cryoextracted
    - Cryo de Glace Tête de Cuvée: Ice Cider (12 %) cryoconcentrated

All were delicious, but I was particularly impressed by the Prestige and the Mousseux. I bought a few vintage of Tête de Cuvée as well to compare them as ice ciders can be completely different from one year to another depending on the weather, apple varieties used, etc.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    quirkzoo likes this.
  7. BadJustin

BadJustin

I saw a few different versions of these in VT, almost pulled the trigger, kind of regret it.

8. harrymel

harrymel

This juice sounds like $$$$$$. Am I right?

9. tom10101

tom10101

I can't speak for other countries, but here in Québec where most of the ice ciders are produced the prices goes from around 20$/375 ml for the cheapest to 60$+/375 for the most expensive. It can even be a bit higher for some old vintages and/or small/special batches.

Ice ciders made with the cryoconcentration method are usually cheaper (and are the vast majority of the ice ciders produced) while ice cider made with the cryoextraction (apples are harvested while they are frozen in the apple tree) method are usually a lot more expensive. This isn't surprising considering they loose a large amount of apples using this last process (those that fall from the tree before they are harvested).

10. IwantlessHops

IwantlessHops

Most of the ice cider in VT is around $20-30 a 375, and I don't know of anyone here using the cryoextraction method. My favorites have generally been ones that have spent time in a barrel, like Eden's Northern Spy or Vermont Ice. That cider in your first post looks intensely dark and delicious.

tom10101 likes this.
  11. caaam

caaam

For a complete newbie to this beverage, is Eden a good place to start?

tom10101 likes this.
  12. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

Eden is an excellent place to start.

13. tom10101

tom10101

Visited Cidrerie du Minot in Hemmingford, about 5 minutes by car from La Face Cachée de la Pomme and only a few hundred meters from Domaine des Salamandres.

Staff was super friendly and like for most cideries in Québec you can get small flights (1/4 to 1/2 oz) of everything for free.

Cidrerie du Minot Cidre de Glace Récolte d'Hiver (Winter Harvest, cryoextraction) vintage 2010 was absolutely mindblowing and completely different from any other ice cider I had before (and from 2011 vintage of the same product that I ha side-by-side). There was a smokey/iodine presence that worked perfectly with the sweetness and the alcohol. So good that I bought 4 bottles @ 40$ a pop (375 ml).

Here's a few - not so good - pictures that I took:

14. Lurkaholic

Lurkaholic

This thread is so overdue. Nice one tom10101!

I've got plans to crack a Neige Noir 2012 over the next few days... will report back here soon. If it's anything close to the last 2011 I had...

[​IMG]

quirkzoo and tom10101 like this.
  15. ineedbeer

ineedbeer

I need more ice cider in my life, and I blame you, Tom, for making me aware of this.

tom10101 likes this.
  16. Lurkaholic

Lurkaholic

Neige Noir is an absolute beast. I cannot get enough of that liquid.

We had it as the nightcap of a hoppy share last night and it completely stole the show:
    [​IMG]

17. DougOLis

DougOLis

Is there anywhere in BC that sells La Face Cachée stuff or do you have to trade for it?

tom10101 likes this.
  18. Lurkaholic

Lurkaholic

It doesn't make it to BC. tom10101 is incredibly helpful when it comes to sourcing it though - if you're looking for practically any of it have a chat with him; he can probably help you out.

tom10101 and DougOLis like this.
  19. tom10101

tom10101

If you need anything in terms of Ice Cider I'm happy to help as long as it doesn't involve shipping to USA. I'm working on a little project that will make me visit almost all Québec's ice cider producers over the next few months as well so I can gather some nice stuff that won't see distribution.

DougOLis and Lurkaholic like this.
  20. ineedbeer

ineedbeer

:):):):):):):)

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I sure hope I have more friends attending math conferences is Toronto soon.

tom10101 likes this.