Imma be in Toronto this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vav1

because the trump thread deserves a pulitzer
Reaction score
Music festival i was gunna go to cancelled. Still shows going on, mostly ****in' around. Staying next to Bellwoods, so that's an obvious one. Pubs with good eats & English style milds and bitters are what i'm lookin' fer.

Thoughts?

Granite Brewery and Restaurant (english and American versions, c'est what? for mostly Americanized beers. As for food I'm no help.

Liam help? I don't think any other of my GTA associates have migrated over...

Staying NEAR Bellwoods? Curious to hear what tre accomodations are like for future reference.
I stay in the city frequently so I have the "tourist" perspective.
I ALWAYS hit Bellwoods for brews and sometimes for dinner but it's primarily a pairing menu.
Bar Hop on King W has great taps, decent bourbon selection, and good food for a bar. I love the Thai mussels.
Volo is good but a haul from Bellwoods. In fact, most places will require cab from Belleoods unless you don't mind 30 min walk to Bar Hop and another 30-40 to Volo.
Beer Bistro is ok and has a decent cellar list with some Loons.

Have fun.

Actually didnt do all that much beer stuff since it was a pleasure trip, not business. Swung by Bellwood's on Saturday afternoon for lunch & beers, had a GREAT ****in' time people watchin' and drinking beers, and brought them Chicago stuff, which they happily traded me some stuff for :)

Actually didnt do all that much beer stuff since it was a pleasure trip, not business. Swung by Bellwood's on Saturday afternoon for lunch & beers, had a GREAT ****in' time people watchin' and drinking beers, and brought them Chicago stuff, which they happily traded me some stuff for :)
People watchin in T.O. is the best, Jerry, the best.
64352.gif

Incidentally, for staying i did an AirBnB with my wife, another couple, and my lazy broke friend. It was in the condos over at Sudbury & Queen, which was lovely. Made ****ing around/record shopping/bellwoods drinking quite easy.

Hey all. Will be in Toronto on 6/28-7/1 besides bellwoods, bar hop, bar volo what's worth checking out? Anything decent up for grab'd at the LCBO? Read about an IPA called Smash Bomb I think, can that be picked up easily?

Also, the bellwoods reserve bottles, what's the going cost on some of those bad boys? Trying to plan $ for the trip. On either 7/1 - 7/2 I'll be going from Toronto over to Sherbrooke Quebec area anything along that route beer wise that is a most stop? I know it's a good distance and there are probably a lot of little side trips to be made. I won't be looking to go into Montreal as I want to get to my destination in Quebec without much hassel.

Hitting up HF on either 7/2 or 7/3 then back north to wife's parents lake house on massawippi, back to NJ on 7/6

Thanks for any advice tips etc. You guys rock.

Smashbomb is easy to find. I find the bottles to be inconsistent but when its on they are great.

Indie alehouse is pretty good. Otherwise the big three are prettymuch your best bet, though Amsterdams brew pub is picking up. Volo had very limited space but if the weather is nice that wont be too big a problem.

Not sure what the reserve bottles go for at the bar (im guessing over 20 bucks a bottle) but i have a couple spares if you were bringing anything up. Might be worth it to hit great lakes brewing in etobicoke if theres a tank 10 release.

There should still be some bc beers in the lcbo, great lakes/amsterdam ezra could be in stores by then too.

If you need more send me a bm, or tm, or whatever the hell they are called on here.

I was at BeerBistro on Thursday and got a 750ml '07 Cantillon Lou Pepe Framboise for $31.50. They also had 375ml '06 Cantillon Bruoscella Grand Cru for something like $16. Some other interesting stuff on the cellar list such as '96 Thomas Hardy and some $20 1.5oz ticker pours ('13 Utopias, one of those vintage Baladin Xyauyu beers, etc.).

Smashbomb is easy to find. I find the bottles to be inconsistent but when its on they are great.

Indie alehouse is pretty good. Otherwise the big three are prettymuch your best bet, though Amsterdams brew pub is picking up. Volo had very limited space but if the weather is nice that wont be too big a problem.

Not sure what the reserve bottles go for at the bar (im guessing over 20 bucks a bottle) but i have a couple spares if you were bringing anything up. Might be worth it to hit great lakes brewing in etobicoke if theres a tank 10 release.

There should still be some bc beers in the lcbo, great lakes/amsterdam ezra could be in stores by then too.

If you need more send me a bm, or tm, or whatever the hell they are called on here.

Awesome thanks for the post. Not sure if I'll be bringing up much with me, or anything but I'll contemplate it. Was hopeful bellwoods reserve bottles would be a bit less expensive but I guess they are all large format bottles so it's to be expected. Would be fine if a group was going to split with me. So many of the reserve bottles I'd like to try but need to reserve a good portion of $ for HF though bellwoods prob takes CC which is dangerous! Haha

Anybody been over to Dunham in Quebec? Was thinking of maybe stopping there as well but seems like I could run into a language barrier possibly.

Thanks again fellas/ladies?

3 Minutes to Midnight is probably the one you want to try from the Bellwoods reserve if you can only try one.

Dunham's a bit out of the way if you're sticking strictly to the highways, but a lovely stop. Probably the most improved brewery in Quebec by far.

3 Minutes to Midnight is probably the one you want to try from the Bellwoods reserve if you can only try one.

Would personally vote for bring out your dead... But there are just so many good ones.

Reserve bottles behind the bar are very reasonable - back in February they were around 15 a pop each for the 4 they had available at the time. All bellwoods bottles are 500ml too... So not quite large format, but not small either!

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. Their reserve list is looking top notch, maybe I'll be able to get their twice to try as many as possible. I take it I can purchase reserve bottles to go?

500 ml's are easier to take down a few over a few hours then 750's! Awesome!

Dunham I was thinking of stopping by on way back north after hill farmstead on 7/2 or 7/3 if I can, if not may have to wait for another trip. I'm up a few times each year.

I take it I can purchase reserve bottles to go?

I'm afraid not- that's the drawback. I just drank all 4 of their offerings at the bar instead, but that's a bit of a commitment I know.

Don't skip Dunham if you can! Probably my favourite Canadian brewery at the moment. Fantastic saisons.

When I was at Bar Hop there was a tap takeover by Bellwoods and Indie Ale House. Had a lot of great beer but Bring Out Your Dead was easily the highlight for me. That's a really fantastic barrel-aged stout. 3 Minutes to Midnight sounds interesting...

No Rest For The Wicked, on the other hand, was a big disappointment. I didn't get much from it at all, and certainly not much brett character. It was really boring, probably the only beer of the night I didn't enjoy much.

BOYD and No Rest are both resting in my cellar. Might be time to break one of those bad boys out!

*edit* DigDug, I'd try to talk up the owner if he's there - I doubt they'd sell a bottle for you to take home, but I've heard of stranger things happening. Shoot over an email and maybe bring something to trade him (or me!)

Is there anything in particular that you're looking for from New Jersey or in NJ distro? Leaving 4 am Saturday for Toronto so don't have a lot of shopping time.

I don't necessarily have a deep cellar. Have a few BCBS : /

Thought I would scab off of this thread as well for my trip coming up. Heading up from the 8th-10th. Staying at the Doubletree Downtown on Chestnut. Don't have firm plans yet, but right now leaning towards the Tigers-Jays game Friday night, maybe hitting Bar Hop for dinner before hand. Saturday we were talking about catching a comedy show. Also planning on hitting Bellwoods & Beerbistro sometime Saturday. Traveling with family, so I don't want to drag them too far out of the way for libations, but if there is something worth checking out we will probably look into it. Anyone know of anything going on that weekend?

Are there any Loons sitting around for the taking? LCBO best place to get bottles near Chestnut?

If anyone from the area wants to trade some Bellwoods reserve or other local brews you recommend, shoot me a pm if your free that weekend and maybe we can meet up.

Thanks for any input. Cheers!

Beer bistro or bar hob I think for loons. Doubt any on shelf. Still pissed I missed the 09 or 07 LP Fram that one of the places had for $35!! What a steal

Thought I would scab off of this thread as well for my trip coming up. Heading up from the 8th-10th. Staying at the Doubletree Downtown on Chestnut. Don't have firm plans yet, but right now leaning towards the Tigers-Jays game Friday night, maybe hitting Bar Hop for dinner before hand. Saturday we were talking about catching a comedy show. Also planning on hitting Bellwoods & Beerbistro sometime Saturday. Traveling with family, so I don't want to drag them too far out of the way for libations, but if there is something worth checking out we will probably look into it. Anyone know of anything going on that weekend?

Are there any Loons sitting around for the taking? LCBO best place to get bottles near Chestnut?

If anyone from the area wants to trade some Bellwoods reserve or other local brews you recommend, shoot me a pm if your free that weekend and maybe we can meet up.

Thanks for any input. Cheers!
http://www.hhof.com/

Had some karmacitra this weekend at wedding in Peterborough. For anybody reading this that hasn't tried it it and likes Citra, get sum!

So one more question for you Blue Jay's fans...any recommended methods of getting tickets? Looks pretty sparse on stubhub, which is usually my go to on the day of the game. Do a lot of people sell tickets outside the stadium? Don't think it will be sold out by any means, but I don't really want to pay $70 for a decent seat.

Tons of scalpers - though I would check the box office at Rogers Centre first - Games typically do not sell out.

Expect the shittiest beer selection you could ever hope to see at a sporting event - the one (sorta) micro was successfully pushed out by Labatt's this year.

Tons of scalpers - though I would check the box office at Rogers Centre first - Games typically do not sell out.

Expect the shittiest beer selection you could ever hope to see at a sporting event - the one (sorta) micro was successfully pushed out by Labatt's this year.
Hopefully we'll be getting our drink on at beer bistro beforehand haha.

deuce9259, I'll play nice and actually HELP you.
- no Loons at LCBO. Its amazing that people ever thought this was real.
- one LCBO not far from your hotel, google it. Again, no Loons there.
- Beer Bistro is not that close to Rogers. As of yesterday they did have 1 07 Fram on site. Maybe more in the cellar, can't confirm. Just know a bud was there and they had at least one.
- Bellwoods to Bistro is not a walk. Definite cab ($10-15 one way) or car between. You can eat there, but its not a big menu with tasting plates and small stuff. All excellent though. Bar Hop food is mucho enjoyable. Bar Hop is also much closer to Rogers. Food is so-so at Bistro from what I have had. Passable. Don't forget to buy bottles at Bellwoods. Can't get them anywhere else.
- get tickets at box office. Unless you can get them less than face from scalper.

Drive as little as possible. Traffic can be very shitty depending on the time of day (anytime after 8am on the highways).
The good beer places are all pretty spread out unfortunately, or you can drink a bunch at one and sober up on the walk to the other. Thats what I do. ;)

deuce9259, I'll play nice and actually HELP you.
- no Loons at LCBO. Its amazing that people ever thought this was real.
- one LCBO not far from your hotel, google it. Again, no Loons there.
- Beer Bistro is not that close to Rogers. As of yesterday they did have 1 07 Fram on site. Maybe more in the cellar, can't confirm. Just know a bud was there and they had at least one.
- Bellwoods to Bistro is not a walk. Definite cab ($10-15 one way) or car between. You can eat there, but its not a big menu with tasting plates and small stuff. All excellent though. Bar Hop food is mucho enjoyable. Bar Hop is also much closer to Rogers. Food is so-so at Bistro from what I have had. Passable. Don't forget to buy bottles at Bellwoods. Can't get them anywhere else.
- get tickets at box office. Unless you can get them less than face from scalper.

Drive as little as possible. Traffic can be very shitty depending on the time of day (anytime after 8am on the highways).
The good beer places are all pretty spread out unfortunately, or you can drink a bunch at one and sober up on the walk to the other. Thats what I do. ;)
post-28617-Big-Lebowski-THANK-YOU-gif-Img-1Mb2.gif

And here I was gonna start a catch-all Toronto thread, but it might just be easier for a mod to change the name of this thread.

Back