Interest in a vacation/bottle share on Lake Superior?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcatGSB1

Reaction score
I have been tossing this idea around for the past month or so I wanted to present it to this group.

Here's some background:

I am part owner of a 12 unit hotel with a bar/restaurant inside on the shores of Lake Superior in Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula. I've always wanted to dedicate the entire hotel to beer geeks for a weekend, and have a nice bottle share/tap event that everyone could enjoy. I've talked it over with my partner, he's into the idea of possibly shutting down the dining room one evening and having a group of beer appreciators enjoy our space.

My thought process started because we have a three year vertical of BCBS sixtels, and I want to share it with people that appreciate it.

Quite a few of you have been to our place, and numerous others have individually contacted me about coming up this summer on a vacation...

I realize we are far from most of you. But I also realize that everyone likes a good vacation now and then, so why not couple the two together.

So I'm thinking maybe setting up a reduced rate in the hotel for TB'ers, book the entire hotel with beer minded people, close the restaurant down one night and enjoy ourselves. We can host upwards of 30 people in the hotel, and there are some nice houses owned by friends within a hundred yards of our establishment. This would not have to be limited to beer, people would be encouraged to bring bottles of whisk(e)y, whatever they wanted to share. We also have an all wood Oyler smoker that fits 700 lbs of meat.

There is alot to do outside of beer drinking in our area if you're into the outdoors, like canoeing, fishing, hiking, beach lounging, swimming, bond fires. Our beach and surrounding areas are very kid and dog friendly, and I would encourage folks to bring them with.
I was thinking of sometime in September, as that would give us enough time to get bottles, select drafts together, maybe some things people out of Michigan would appreciate, (Short's).

Feel free to flame me, as I know it's a long haul up this way. Just wanted to gauge interest if there were a group that would like to converge on a small town, have the place all to ourselves, and rage.
Discuss if wanted.

P.S. If Gene or any of the mods feel this is a plug, contact me, I'd understand. I'm not posting any names of establishments as this is not a business ad, merely an attempt to get some good beer/whisky drinkers together.

Just for reference, we are 8 hours from Chicago, 8 from MPLS, and around 10 from Detroit proper. Driving.

Love the idea, I have actually been to the hotel and it is really nice. The area is amazing as well. I am interested for sure, and I could probably drum up some homies from Minneapolis.

There is an airport with car rental about a half hour away. Although it is expensive to fly in. Carpooling would be optimal. When would work the best for people?

The reason why I suggested September is because it slows down a little bit for us, and July and August are pretty much 100% occupancy. June is a possibility as well...
This is an awesome idea. I don't think I could work September unfortunately.

Short of owning a seaplane how the **** else would you get to your Bates Motel of beer?

Damn sounds like an amazing time but at 9 hours might be hard for me to pull off, for those going (because I know this will happen) that'll prob be too epic of a time to even discuss. Pondering hard currently, have a lot of unique beers I'd like to share with ppl who appreciate it.

BTW this place is pretty amazing. It's a beach hotel. Think sand and waves and sunsets. And the Keeweenaw and south shore rule.

I'm going to have to check out specific dates that we have no occupancy this summer and get back to everyone with some options. I know as of right now, June 2,3,4 and 5th are out. We have other obligations.

Could be interested, have late September / early October earmarked for Muskie time in northern MN, but certainly want to check out the place after talking with you about it at levifunk's bottle release.

Would be a blast I'm sure, will be following this thread for updates.

Depending on the dates, this may be something that I'm down for. Might be able to coerce a few other TBers from the MKE area to join in as well.

Is all that snow going to be gone by September???

FML
It's now been updated, and they are calling for 14 - 20" with 35-50 mph winds.
Our opening party is this weekend! Dangerous for people driving out.
Worth the drive tho, tap list:
Short's Local's Light
Short's Yosemite Scooter
Virtue The Mitten
Matilda Lambicus
Destihl Berliner
Odd Side Bean Flicker
Dark Horse Reserve Special Black
Dark Horse Plead the Fifth
Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout 2013
Hopslam firkin on the beer engine

****... these make it tempting enough... but then I dont trust my car to make it up there even in good weather
I have six more 1/6th barrels of Matilda Lamb, so let me know when you're coming, and I will put it on.
I'll let you know how my Mitten/BCBS Mocktails go...will take pics.

As far as the get together goes, I've been busy, but have been thinking about it.

One possibility is to do it next summer, 2015. With that, I could book the entire hotel whenever we wanted, and get some better organization moving forward. Like I said there are quite a bit of rentals in our small town, and could realistically rent the entire town and burn this ***** down.

As far as the get together goes, I've been busy, but have been thinking about it.

One possibility is to do it next summer, 2015. With that, I could book the entire hotel whenever we wanted, and get some better organization moving forward. Like I said there are quite a bit of rentals in our small town, and could realistically rent the entire town and burn this ***** down.
In!

Assuming I'm still alive a year from now:

IN.

Ahh we made it. Wasn't as bad as called for, I think we got about 13 inches or so.
Correction: They are saying 17 inches over the two days, putting us at 314.50. Half inch more than last years total. I figure once the lake thaws we'll get one or two more lake effect storms. We'll be close to 340 when it's said and done, no doubt.

I have family in Musing and we usually go for a visit every summer, in late July/early August. I'm not sure I could make a specific event, but I wouldn't mind a drive over there and we can spend the night and split some beers.

I'm pushing this off until Summer 2015. Will come up with some dates soon and post here. I'd like to get the entire hotel filled with TalkBeer friends and think it's completely doable.

Side note:
This Sunday, Founder's is coming back to the Keweenaw and gonna blow it up.
KBS on tap, $5 8 oz. pour
Founder's Kentucky Brunch $25:
One piece of Pork Belly French toast with maple/bourbon glaze
All Day IPA Cheese soup
1/2 Smoked Cornish Game Hen served on sweet potato apple bacon hash
Kentucky Breakfast Stout Pecan Pie
8 oz. pour of KBS
Bottles of KBS available for purchse, half case limit. $22 per four pack, $6 a bottle.

I'm pushing this off until Summer 2015. Will come up with some dates soon and post here. I'd like to get the entire hotel filled with TalkBeer friends and think it's completely doable.

Side note:
This Sunday, Founder's is coming back to the Keweenaw and gonna blow it up.
KBS on tap, $5 8 oz. pour
Founder's Kentucky Brunch $25:
One piece of Pork Belly French toast with maple/bourbon glaze
All Day IPA Cheese soup
1/2 Smoked Cornish Game Hen served on sweet potato apple bacon hash
Kentucky Breakfast Stout Pecan Pie
8 oz. pour of KBS
Bottles of KBS available for purchse, half case limit. $22 per four pack, $6 a bottle.
If I wasnt on-call Monday I would completely drive up for this...Sounds awesome and KBS to go? Holy ****!!!

Back