Introducing CellarTracker.org (Beta)

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by trickytunadicky, Jan 27, 2016.

1. nathanmiller

nathanmiller

Okay finally turned my first closet of beers into a spreadsheet. Just one question: how do I share the list with people who don't have an account (i.e. for my profile here)? Thanks for your hard work!

Gonzoillini likes this.
  2. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

It is currently in development, and at the top of the to do list (aside from any bugs that pop up hindering immediate usage, of course). In the mean time you can export to CSV and load to Google Docs.

nathanmiller likes this.
  3. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

Sharing your cellar is now available for beta testing, and with that we have also launched an alternate URL for the site: haveuseenmycellar.com

Here are some quick instructions on how to make your cellar publicly available to anonymous users.
    Step 1: Log into the application and navigate to "My Cellars"
    Step 2: Click "Edit" on the cellar you would like to share.
    Step 3: Click the "Access Control" tab.
    Step 4: Under the "Anonymous Access" section change the setting to yes.
    Step 5: You will see the "Include in Public Directory" field come up. Click "yes" if you want your cellar to be publicly browsable. The default is "no." Recommendation is to keep this setting until Step 7 is complete, then change to "yes" if desired.
    Step 6: Click the "Save" button in that section to save your changes.
    Step 7: Review the "Anonymous Views" tab to ensure that anonymous users only see the views you want them to see, and make any adjustments accordingly.
    Step 8: You may now go back and add your cellar to the Public Directory if desired or use the "link to cellar" information that has now appeared in the "Anonymous Access" section to share the cellar to specific individuals of your choosing via link.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  4. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

Probably more exciting for us than anyone following our progress here, but it's srs bsns when you order business cards.

Tlo4sho, rrrjjj, sliverx and 3 others like this.
  5. brother rebus

brother rebus

Any way to import an existing list from excel?
    Thnx in advance

6. fear025

fear025

Yes, you basically export your excel file to a .csv file. Once you have created a cellar in the app, click the Import button. It should explain the process pretty clearly. Feel free to ask questions, or give us suggestions!

Gonzoillini and TalkBeerJesus like this.
  7. fear025

fear025

Bar Code Scanning has just been added as a new feature! To try it out, click on "Scan Barcode" in the new item page, then click the button that appears in the new window, and take a picture of the Bar Code.
    For now, the Bar Code must be scanned horizontally.
    Some items may not be found, but every new Bar Code we add will help to build the database.

8. tennispl

tennispl

If this is even close to working, I'm fucking excited.

9. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

It's out there in beta for you to try. So far what I have found is that if it is beer from the store it works pretty alright but if it is special release stuff it has to go in the old fashioned way...but if anyone takes the minute to add a barcode if there is one, the database gets updated for everyone else.

sliverx, ChicagoGuy and nathanmiller like this.
  10. nathanmiller

nathanmiller

[​IMG]

11. PepeSylvia

PepeSylvia

I am finally starting to use this.
    I went and took a few pictures of bar-codes, then entered them afterwards using the pictures I took. That method will probably work well for me. Nice feature.

Thanks

12. sharpski

sharpski

trickytunadicky the transfer from CellarHQ's .csv seemed to go OK, your site reflects the correct bottle count, but several beers are not visible in inventory.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  13. fear025

fear025

Go ahead and email the .csv file to cellartracker@cellartracker.org , and let us know what's missing, and we will take a look at it.

sliverx likes this.
  14. nathanmiller

nathanmiller

Let's say I was stupid enough to choose a set of styles that doesn't include meads and I now have put a 750 of the Statement into my cellar.

How can I fix this without a massive data re-entry?

15. fear025

fear025

If you go into your Cellar's Page, and click "Edit", you should be able to change what style set you are using (and then click Save). We automatically translate as much as we can, but some styles still may be translated to "Unknown" if we can't match stuff up correctly.

To figure out which style set you want to use, I recommend creating a new Cellar, and viewing all of the styles sets that are available.

16. nathanmiller

nathanmiller

Boom, thank you!

17. fear025

fear025

We have upgraded the Barcode Scanning functionality! Now, you should be able to scan Barcodes when they are aligned vertically (as well as horizontally)!

This new functionality is enabled by default.

If the new code doesn't work as well for you, just go to your account preferences, and change your "Barcode Scan Method" to the "Old Method", and the previous functionality will be available.

Treebs, neorunner, sliverx and 3 others like this.
  18. moc513

moc513

Question about the barcode functionally. Do you need to attach the pic or can you use a reader to enter the barcode onto the site?

I know someone who has a reader and might borrow it if that is an option

sliverx and Gonzoillini like this.
  19. fear025

fear025

I've mainly designed it for use with a smart phone, where you click the "Scan Barcode" button and your phone prompts you to take a picture.

If you're using a computer, and you hit the "Scan Barcode" button, you can attach a picture, and it will try to read it.

I'm not sure exactly how a barcode reader will send input to the web page, but if it can follow these steps things should work:
    1. Click on the barcode field on the web page so that it has the focus
    2. Have your reader type the barcode into that field as a number
    3. Hit the tab key to exit the field (or hit the enter while in the field)

The software will then try to lookup that barcode for you.

I just tried this myself by typing the barcode into the field, and it didn't work due to a change in how I was doing barcode stuff, so I fixed it and it should be working now. Give it a try manually with the Dark Horse Plead the 5th barcode: 0817099004648

Let me know how the barcode is trying to enter data for you, and I can try to make the process work.

Currently, there's not a lot of feedback if it doesn't find the barcode in the database, but if that's an issue, I can add some sort of status message or popup window if people think that would be helpful.

nathanmiller, moc513 and Gonzoillini like this.
  20. moc513

moc513

Thanks...I will hopefully test it out this weekend and let you know

sliverx and Gonzoillini like this.