US - Midwest Iowa Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by bottlecaps80, Dec 6, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. deckardjk

deckardjk

Driving from Milwaukee Saturday morning. Trying to decide what to bring for a bottle share.

Has there been bottle share action in previous years? Went to Chicago Zwanze previously...

2. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel

yes there's been a share in the past

3. deckardjk

deckardjk

Probably won't make it to Toppling at all... other than staying at Schera's for dinner is there anything going on around town after that event? My plan at the moment is to bring extra beer for my wife and I to share with new friends.

4. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel

no, It's a very small town, we've stay at Scheara's until maybe 9pm and headed home after that.

5. furley

furley

anything near Cherokee??

is it worth the drive to Sioux City SD?

6. mattafett

mattafett

Unfortunately I have no idea. That side of the state is dullsville.

GoodDon likes this.
  7. GoodDon

GoodDon Premium Supporter Contributor

blue_bleeder and mattafett like this.
  8. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

So blue_bleeder?

FTowne, blue_bleeder and mattafett like this.
  9. furley

furley

that much i expected

thought we'd be doing most of the driving through Iowa but looks like the map has us going through Minnesota most of the way, then almost straight south to Cherokee.

10. blue_bleeder

blue_bleeder

Moondog, FTowne and GoodDon like this.
  11. furley

furley

wedding location change #1

now it's in some lake "resort" town nearer the Minnesota border

expecting at least 2 more location changes, a cancellation, a re-affirmation, a major family meltdown and threats to disown at least 2 family members

in-laws! they're the best!

GoodDon likes this.
  12. GoodDon

If I was willing to bet the "resort" town is Spirit Lake (Lake Okoboji). Never been.

GOOD LUCK!!!

furley likes this.
  13. Persdawg

Persdawg

No talk on the TG email? They can suck it?

14. daniel

daniel

There's some talk about it in the Random Beer Thoughts thread.

15. Persdawg

Persdawg

^^^ah. ahhh

16. dridge11

dridge11

I'm going to be in the Quad Cities area for about a week in July...any good breweries in the area? I don't trust Google reviews.

GoodDon likes this.
  17. GoodDon

[​IMG]

I frequent Green Tree in LeClaire the most. Wife loves the place. 14 of their own beers on tap. Basic IPA's with some special ones also. They have a distillery next door so they'll throw a IPA in a rye barrel from time to time. The distillery will start being able to serve drinks on site starting July 1. Stouts are adjunct heavy but pretty good. No sours or farmhouse stuff here or any other brewery in the area. Great site overlooking the Mississippi River.

Bent River in Moline is my 2nd choice for any actual brewery. Hit and miss on their beers. If they have QC Haze on tap though try that. It's been really good the first 2 batches. They have a location in Rock Island but I prefer the Moline location.

Front Street in just real basic. They've been around awhile so they have a local following but I just think the beer isn't as good as it once was. IPA, amber, porter etc..

Blue Cat I've only been to once and it wasn't good. At all. Maybe I should do some homework and check it out again.

Great River. Great Fucking River. I don't know if it's the yeast, the water or what but I've never enjoyed any of their beers. But a lot of people do because they are freaking busy on the weekends. Very bike friendly place. Very locals type place.

My go to place isn't actually a brewery, it's called Endless Brews. 20 taps of a wide variety of styles that usually includes one from every popular style. Some local flavor, Midwest, East and West Coast. Chill atmosphere and a bottle shop too.

I hope this helps out. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up. Give me a holler when you're in the area if you'd like to buy me a beer!

18. mattafett

mattafett

If you can I would make the drive to Iowa City and go to Big Grove. Or go to the original Big Grove up in Solon, where I live.
    http://www.biggrovebrewery.com/

If you want to get a bit more adventurous, head to Cedar Rapids and go to Lion Bridge, my local favorite. http://www.lionbridgebrewing.com/

19. dridge11

dridge11

Thanks templetondon and mattafett , really appreciate the suggestions. Any of these spots you recommend have good food as well? Should have time to hit a few while we're in town, but likely won't be able to venture too far out of town.

GoodDon likes this.
  20. GoodDon

Green Tree doesn't have food. But it's located in a artsy "River Town" so there's specialty shops around the main street going through town. Mexican restaurant, Chocolate shop, winery, stuff like that. Winery is called Wide River.
    LeClaire is about 20 minutes from downtown Davenport.

Bent River Moline has food, Rock Island does not. Bar food that's been fancied up. Pretty good, Portobello Fries are a favorite.

Front Street bar location has food, taproom does not. Food used to be quite good but I think they've changed chefs and recipes so I'm not sure now. It's located downtown Davenport so there's other food options.

Did some recon work yesterday at some spots I had forgotten to mention.

Rebellion Brew Haus is in Moline, about a half mile from Bent River. Usually around 20 taps of craft with a good mix from around the country plus upwards of 5 of their own beers. They brew an assortment of IPA's and stouts that I think are good. I've never had a beer of theirs that I didn't like. Great bourbon selection too. Just don't try the Malort. Their food is IMO very good. Mexican flair with street tacos, nachos with your choice of a variety of meats with chips or tater tots, Wisconsin worthy cheese curds, etc..

Baked Beer and Bread Company is located in Davenport in the Village of East Davenport, an area of local shops and bars. Yesterday they had 16 taps of mostly Midwest beers and 3 of their own. They brewed a lemongrass sour which was pretty good. They're a bakery during the day, I believe the bar opens at 2 (??) and the restaurant servers at 5. Haven't had any food there but I've heard the bakery is very good. Menu for the restaurant had fancy ass sandwiches. Right across the street from them is another Wide River Winery location.

I think that's all I can think of right now. Depending on how far you want to go LeClaire like I said is about a 20 minute or so drive from Davenport. But with the brewery, distillery and winery you could be there for a bit. Moline is about 10 minutes across the I74 bridge. If I think of anything else I'll let ya know. Cheers.