US - Midwest Iowa Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by bottlecaps80, Dec 6, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. GoodDon

GoodDon Premium Supporter Contributor

Just remembered another one, Radicle Effect Brewerks in Rock Island which borders Moline. Only been there once but good. 10 or so taps with a couple of their own stuff. No food but they have food trucks stop by.

All the places I mentioned in the past posts, with the exception of Green Tree, post their tap lists on either BeerMenus or TapHunter. They are pretty good about updating it frequently also.

2. mattafett

mattafett

Both Big Grove locations have food. Lion Bridge too. It is Hipster food though. Good, but risky if you don't know what the hell they are talking about in the menu descriptions.

GoodDon likes this.
  3. furley

furley

NAILED IT!

we leave tomorrow. planning (hoping) to stop at Forager in Rochester MN on the way. looks like there are some decent food options in the Okoboji area.

there's a golf course where we're staying. tempted to bring my clubs and hit 9 on Saturday. up in the air on that. depends on how much room is left in the car.

GoodDon likes this.
  4. GoodDon

GoodDon Premium Supporter Contributor

I've meet a couple of the brewers from Forager, good guys and the beers really good too. Have fun in Iowa, if that's possible!

mattafett and furley like this.
  5. furley

furley

with my in-laws?? 1% chance

i'm just hoping they stay the fuck out of my way

GoodDon likes this.
  6. mattafett

mattafett

Agreed. Have also met the Forager guys. Very unique beers.

GoodDon likes this.
  7. furley

furley

only had time for a single beer at Forager. went in planning to grab a flight, then pick one for a growler. the minimum they do is 6oz. pours, no flights.

i picked the gose

must have got a soapy glass. it wasn't good. i could taste the cleanser.

my only other real option was a 10% stout. didn't want that and wasn't up for chancing just picking up a growler if it might have turned out as poorly as the gose.

really nice space they have there, though. would have liked to spend more time. maybe another day.

Okoboji looks like the kind of place we'd visit a couple times per summer if it weren't 7+ hours away and in the absolute middle of nowhere. nice little lake scene they've got going. weather was sub-optimal. middle 60s and really windy... so no lake time but we did hit the amusement park there for a few hours and had fun.

rest of our time was eaten up by wedding responsibilities but we had fun.

GoodDon likes this.
  8. beerindex

beerindex

A friend of mine is going to be passing through Iowa City this weekend, and has offered to pick up beer on my behalf. I assume the place to send him is still John's Grocery? Do they or others sell everything as singles?

As far as availability, any suggestions for local/regional sours? Especially interested in anything made with passionfruit.

9. mattafett

mattafett

John's is the go to, although I don't go there much. Hy-Vee is also good (any).
    Local sours would be Madhouse, and Exile.

beerindex likes this.
  10. mattafett

mattafett

11. elkhunter36

elkhunter36

How did the boys at Pulpit Rock avoid being sued?

GoodDon likes this.
  12. mattafett

mattafett

My guess is Clark didn't do no compete's until after they set up shop.

13. mattafett

mattafett

I will be co-hosting a lambic/Belgian share on Zwanze Day at the Club 76 in North Liberty.

I’ve got a bunch of bottles, and each participant will bring a dish to share (a bottle or two as well).

The 76 is a VFW ran by a friend of mine. Should be a good time.

I’m passing on Zwanze at Scheras for the first time ever. Initially the cost was $85, but went to $110 with the addition of Schramms (he will be there).
    Way to rich for my blood.

Any FIB’s interested? Anyone else?