Liquor ISO: Dram of Yamazaki 12 Yr Sherry Cask

Discussion in 'ISO:FT (Beer and other stuff)' started by JTC2811, Dec 22, 2014.

1. JTC2811

JTC2811

So, backstory: my closest friend since childhood has always been notoriously hard to shop for. He doesn't really have much of a materialistic side to him, and when he does want something, he typically saves up and buys it. This year he's taken his love of brown liquors into Scotch territory, and the top of his bucket list is the 2013 Yamazaki Sherry Cask that took home the 2015 Whisky Bible accolades.

I love my friend, but I'm not about to drop 300$+ on a bottle of Scotch for him, but I figured that finding someone willing to trade a dram or two would be a much easier/affordable endeavor. I'm happy to trade anything I can get my hands on in DC, as well as what I've got in my cellar. The list includes BCBS, Allagash sours, a bottle of Raison D'Extra 2007, Avery's recent big barrel projects, Hardywood GBS, and my last bottle of 2011 KBS. I'm not sure what's fair on a $/rarity level, so I'm placing trust in the TB community.

Thanks for reading through, and happy holidays!

2. richiesd

richiesd

I think bottles are selling for closer to $1500 for this now.

3. JTC2811

JTC2811

All the more reason to look for a dram. Geez that's expensive!

[​IMG]

Frank likes this.
  4. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

That price is only for bourbon people. Those fools will pay top price for anything.

Scotch guys buy retail.

ant_wailes likes this.
  5. richiesd

richiesd

that's not necessarily true. pretty sure many scotch lovers would snatch up a laphroaig 30yr at $300, which is above retail.

PerHops and WhyNotZoidberg like this.
  6. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

I get what you are saying, but most scotch people tend to run after flavor and not hype. (I am one of them) and we would opt for the Laphroig PX with is half the price and common consensus says tastes better (I agree) or just buy the 30yr retail. Scotch game went through the dumb stuff the bourbon game is going through now... Only 15 years ago. Very few scotches get crazy like that anymore, but pretty much all bourbon does nowadays. High end scotch starts off as high end scotch, and stays high end. Bottles aren't magically elevated to stupid status because some rich idiot wants to believe/pretend his mediocre shit is something that it isn't. In fact, I can't think of a single instance in scotch in the last decade that has gone the way bourbon is now. Try charging 200$ for glenmorangie 12... Mutha fuckers gonna laugh at you. But bourbon guys....

100$ish dollars for an orvw 10?
    OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG!

Scotch guy says...
    Hahahahahahahahahaha.
    Sorry bro, that is a 25$ bottle MAX.

7. richiesd

richiesd

what, do you mean like balvenie tun 1509? seems like the same hype juice used in willett xcf. to make such a distinction seems pretty silly. same shit is happens in scotch too.

your $200 for glenmorangie 12 is akin to charging $200 for standard jack daniels. oh noes... stupid idiots are bidding up george t stagg to $240. what fucking suckers... us scotch drinkers would never be ok with that shit. except for that $900 brora.

if anything scotch drinkers have drank the juice way more than bourbon drinkers have. scotch drinkers have long tolerated the $155,000 bottles of whisky. just 15 min at master of malt will show you how ridiculous the scotch game is right now.

sure, there are scotch drinkers who are totally fine drinking their $50 ardbegs and think they're on top of the world, just like there are plenty of bourbon drinkers who don't get mixed up in this sort of hype machine and are happy with their elijah craig 12 years for $25. don't try to make generalizations for which market is more "sane"... lol.

every hobby has that type of fan base. this site caters towards many of the beer fans who have that mindset who are all too keen to apply that to american bourbon. it's literally putting your head in the sand to not think there are equally crazy scotch drinkers out there.

8. WhyNotZoidberg

WhyNotZoidberg

Wake me up when the Zawa train slows down, chief. Or should I hop on the Port Ellen Express?

Another day, another uninformed observation from kuemmelbrau

davey101 and Knifestyles like this.
  9. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

I'm not saying those people don't exist. What I'm saying is that they aren't as common as with bourbon. I get your JD comparison and that is what I was going for... Except I meant orvw 10... Because 4 years ago the accessibility and price was roughly the same as JD.... Look at it now. Weller 12 is starting the trend that way too.... Last year ofbb was a turd here at 30$ a bottle.... Not so much this year. The sheer number of bourbon enthusiasts is what is driving the current market. I'm not saying scotch people are inherently smarter or better, but both the supply and the quality in the scotch market has leveled off. Last years scotch whiskey of the year was glenmorangie ealanta. It retailed for $100 bucks here, and I could buy it as little as two months ago. A full year after release. Do you think that could ever happen in todays bourbon market?

I do agree that balvanie is one of the more exploitative scotch distillers around, but I can still buy 1509 at msrp off the shelf... because the market is more immune to the flavor of the month. My point is that in scotch you have readily available 10/10 world class #1 scotch to buy off the shelf year round. At the same time it is harder and harder to buy mid shelf (or bottom shelf in the case of weller 12) bourbon. High end is high end in both markets. Sure scotch as its absurdly stupid tier for people with more money than brains to buy, but the difference is that in general the scotch market doesn't try to artificially inflate every good scotch around... Or even the best scotches around. The high end is priced for high end to begin with.

10. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

Coming from you I will take that as a compliment. Let me know in a few years once production catches up to demand in bourbon and nobody gives two shits about your Internet bourbon dick swing attempts... But I'm sure you can use it to boost your sad ego in the meantime.

11. CheapBeerBuzz

CheapBeerBuzz

We are all idiots because we overpay for crap. We like to think we are important, but in reality we all buy beer and bourbon because we can't afford this:

[​IMG]

blckout20, davey101, Tlo4sho and 8 others like this.
  12. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

Ha, fuck. Now I may just have to send the OP his sample for us gumming up his thread.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  13. CheapBeerBuzz

CheapBeerBuzz

[​IMG]

14. Ratman

Ratman

Bowmore's Devils cask sold out like crazy over seas when it hit the shelves. It triple priced at auction houses within a week.

US buyers have it better with scotches as US market doesn't seem to be as much as a feeding frenzy over it but over seas has just as many truck chasers for scotches like the US has for bourbon.

Ardbeg has a crazy fan base that will snatch up any thing they can. Not as wild in the US but watch the UK Online retailers when they get Anything with a Ardbeg name on it. Its will sell out within hrs and sometimes mins.

15. auracom

auracom

So much this. If you think speculative buying hasn't taken hold of the scotch industry overseas... you are seriously lacking global perspective.

And FYI PVW23 still gets over 1,000 GBP in foreign auction houses. So they drink the kool-aid too.

Ratman likes this.
  16. WhyNotZoidberg

WhyNotZoidberg

trying to reason with him will get you nowhere. best to pack up the tent and move on.

17. jvanaus

jvanaus

Is feedback a good enough reason to bring a 4 year old thread back from the dead?

18. beerinnv

beerinnv

Not this train wreck of a thread. Sheesh

jvanaus likes this.
  19. omgeezo

omgeezo

Bump. 4 years later. Has production caught up with demand yet?

nachojon and Compton25 like this.
  20. PrinceCasual

PrinceCasual

There's actually some gold in here. Not a single thing that people were complaining about has improved in the slightest. in fact most have gotten considerably worse (discontinuation and replaced by more expsnesive product/ massive price increase/never hitting the shelf other than 3x MSRP). DC is straight up horrible for this, I saw Arberg Grooves last week for $399.