ISO: Less Beer!

Discussion in 'ISO:FT (Beer, Cider, and Mead)' started by facesnorth, Sep 25, 2018.

1. facesnorth

facesnorth

I won my first BIF about a month ago run by jcvanderbilt and in that BIF I posted a GIF of Brando in On the Waterfront. I had a special time watching that movie with my dad because when growing up, his father was a longshoreman in Hoboken just like Brando.

My dad got very sick last summer and was in the hospital for about 3.5 months. I was in Vermont eating breakfast the morning of FoFa when I got a call that he was going to die. He lived a few weeks longer. The day after Zwanze we put him into hospice and he died late that night. That was exactly a year ago tonight.

Coming from a family full of alcoholism and addiction of various sorts, my dad never really liked my beer hobby. So what better way to honor him than to send some away.

I've been pretty ok for a while now but I never expected the anniversary to be this tough. The whole month has been brutal in fact. I couldn't really come up with an idea for this. And I don't have a lot of rules, anybody can win. Just something to brighten my mood and make me laugh. I'll probably put my favorites into a random # generator and I'll cut it off whenever it slows down.

hamburger, hideout, mctizzz and 60 others like this.
  2. iong516

iong516

Sorry for your loss Ryan. I'm in a cabin in Maine with my parents, and a few years back we had a scare with my dad breaking his hip and tearing his bladder in a ski accident, then discovering he had prostate cancer during the lengthy recovery and adding radiation into the mix. His health had always been great, so the sudden, significant medical issues really put things into perspective just how fragile everything is. I wish the best for your family during this tough anniversary.

I found this weird anime gif searching for 'compassion', maybe this spirit dog will give you a smile.

[​IMG]

3. facesnorth

facesnorth

Yes. This.
    It did, Ian, thanks.

4. RyanG

RyanG Previously Hot Dog Sandwich

Cherish those memories as they will always be with you. Talking about loss has always helped me. This is not an entry just wanted to say something:)

5. stakem

stakem

Hey bud, thinking of you and just wanted to extend my condolences. I dont want your beer, you have already given me too much in our last exchange. Id much rather see you again sometime soon and give ya a hug.

Be strong brother.

6. BadJustin

BadJustin Moderator Staff Member

Hey Ryan, condolences my friend. No worries on the beer, keep it. I hope it gets easier for you as time passes.

Here is a picture of Julian "resting" on the floor.

[​IMG]

Zimm, MKtheGeneral, ZackB and 34 others like this.
  7. skrip

skrip

Ryannnnn! no need to throw me in, i'm just here to say i love you man and i'm here if you ever need to talk! i hope to see you this weekend!

8. preluderl

preluderl

Echo the sentiment of others. Not here to take your beer man, but I'm very sorry for your loss.

I offer a gif that always gives me a sensible chuckle.

[​IMG]

9. ASUBeer

ASUBeer

I don’t want the beer either but wanted to share a thought.

Whenever I have something that is really effecting me, I find solace in nature. A nice hike by yourself can really give you the time and space to find a little peace on a rough day. It’s amazing that sometimes beauty in nature can remind you of a loved one. And find a lot of peace in that any of your fathers struggles with addiction are a thing in the past and that he’s in a great place right now and probably looking down and being very proud of you.

10. capnmike

capnmike

Sorry for your loss. Anniversaries can be tough as hell. My mother-in-law passed away suddenly 4 years ago, and this time of year is always particularly hard for my wife and me. It's been 2.5 since my dad passed away, and while I miss him, I'm able to think of the great times, be thankful for the time we did have together (since I was a late baby), and HOPE I'm as lucky as he was (86 and was playing tennis into his last years and driving himself around the week before he went into the hospital).

Here's a funny comforting scene that makes me laugh - the virtual hugs in this thread are better :)

[​IMG]

11. bigred

bigred

Right in the feels. Very sorry for your loss. Don't know what else to say, so...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. BadJustin

Yeah but you're a fucking hippy so.... ;)

13. oldp0rt

oldp0rt

Talking about it has always been the best idea. Take care man.

this is how I feel most of the time. Seems to help.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. JulianB

JulianB

I'm so sorry for your loss Ryan. Hanging out with you at Shitlord Manor last year was a tremendously fun experience, and you are one of the most generous beer guys I've met. I don't remember if it was you or someone else who brought that bottle of BAOS, but it was fun to try that peaty mess. I also don't recall if I was actually passed out for this pic, or just pretending to be so someone on TB could troll tosh. Either way, it was a fun night and it was great spending a FoFA weekend with you and a bunch of other cool TBers. Take care buddy!

[​IMG]

15. BadJustin

I think you were legit passed out. You also passed out in the recliner as well. I will hand it to ya though man, even after passing out for a while you get right back up and get back after it.

16. clevelandisthecity

clevelandisthecity

I know all too well about these anniversaries. My wife's dad passed away in August 2012. While it's gotten a little easier every year, it will never be easy. Her mom passed away this January and I know next year will be hard around that time. I hope things begin to get a little easier for you. Our pups always seem to cheer her up a little, so here's a dog gif. Cheers man
    [​IMG]

17. Lamnic

Lamnic

Hey Ryan, I know what you mean. My Dad passed 6 weeks ago after being sick for 4 months. Unlike your Dad, mine got me into craft beer young. I was very fortunate for that. He didn't make it to see me turn 30 or get married. Since then I've wanted to do something in his memory, but also can't really come up with anything. It's such a difficult thing to talk about when trying to deal with it, and even more difficult to do something you know he'd really love and appreciate. In the meantime, we're so lucky to have this incredible community to give us strength. I am sure sharing great beers with friends and loved ones helps you as much as it does me. I hope you feel peace on this day one year after he's gone, and know he is in a much better place. Cheers.

18. facesnorth

facesnorth

Thanks guys I didn't expect to wake up to this many awesome replies (yeah I was up late last night). I don't have time to reply individually to each of you right now but I really appreciate it. Yes Julian I brought the BOAS lol, great pic.

ZackB, nathanmiller, Mikecap and 20 others like this.
  19. libbey

libbey

[​IMG]

This gif always makes me smile

20. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

Passed out JulianB pics makes everyone feel better. About themselves. Life, etc.
    This one is particularly hilarious...like a yellow snake that swallowed a waterbuffalo whole.

I can't imagine what it must be like to lose a parent and fear the day that comes to reality.
    Wishing you well and only the fondest of memories of your father.

Here is a cute otter because Lord Maris is watching and #bil and all that jazz.
    [​IMG]