ITT: Camping, RV, Travel Trailers

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by drbenzo, Feb 14, 2017.

1. drbenzo

drbenzo

Anyone own a travel trailer or RV here? My wife and I are about to buy one and I am looking for advice and opinions. If not, then post your camping photos here!

2. FTowne

FTowne

Subscribed.

I'm way overdue for a camping trip. I don't do anything extreme, and I don't have any fancy gear. Just enjoy setting up a tent near the river and getting away.

3. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

Avid camper here. Never owned an RV but recently purchased a 35 acre tract of land in SW Colorado. Guy we bought it from left this there and we got the title work on it finally so when I go back out there I can officially turn it into the bang bus for when blue_bleeder comes down.

Supposedly fantastic elk hunting on our property, which sounds like a challenge to me. So I'm in.

[​IMG]

jivex5k, blackgnome, sliverx and 28 others like this.
  4. blue_bleeder

blue_bleeder

Ahhhhhhh shit.

5. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

Told you we closed on it boo, can't wait to close on you next.

6. GhostOfGaspar

GhostOfGaspar

Camping is one of my favorite activities. I've been tent camping my whole life. When i was in college, the little family-owned restaurant i worked at closed every year for 10 days over the 4th of July holiday. I had some close friends who also worked there and we would take off with nothing but a road atlas, our gear and a shit ton of weed. Over a four year period we camped in GA, TN, SC, NC, KY, LA, OH, and MI. We also played a lot of disc golf.

My first experience with an RV was on my honeymoon; also my wife's first camping trip period (what a gal, agreeing to this for her honeymoon https://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/the-official-significant-other-appreciation-thread.33327/)

We rented a little 16-footer from Cruise America in Portland, OR and spent a week driving it to Big Sur and then dropped it off in San Francisco. It was an amazing trip. I'll see if i can get some of the pictures my wife took loaded up.

After her first fire-cooked meal, she was hooked and gave me the go-ahead on a 6-year plan to purchase our own trailer. Step one of paying off my car is complete. Step two of paying off her car is about 2 years away. Then purchase a truck to haul it. Then purchase the camper. Have a kid somewhere during that time. Profit.

We're looking at getting something in the 18-22ft range, with pop-out sleeping. It helps to maximize the floor space if you kill a built-in sleeping area, and also affords you that "tent-camping" feel that we like so much. We have a huge RV show here in Tampa every year, that we've gone to for the last 2 years. Looks like getting one brand new will run about $18-24k range, which, with financing, puts it at about $110/month over 12 years.

Honestly, my goal in life is to retire and drive the whole US and then get down into Central and South America. I would die a happy man.

Great thread!

sliverx, nhindian, rrrjjj and 10 others like this.
  7. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

Camped every summer last 5 years up in the Bruce Pennisula. Usually 4 days. Old bones getting tired of sleeping on the ground but I love the outdoors.
    This year we are going a full week and opting for a lakeside cottage. Has hot tub and fire pit feet from Lake Huron.
    We are also looking at tow behind campers but currently don't own a vehicle that is ideal for hauling one.
    One day.

sliverx, gregkoko, SSTroller and 9 others like this.
  8. leftoverburrito

leftoverburrito

Following.

No crazy gear either but nothing beats getting away for 4/5 days with friends, food and firearms. Invested in a new pack recently. Planning to just set up camp in random places this year and do some exploring. Will share pics.

9. 1v1willwreku

1v1willwreku

[​IMG]

10. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

I didn't think you went east of western cali.

Once I have a plan, dates and so forth I will advise.

I need a big burly man to help around the place anyway.

11. 1v1willwreku

1v1willwreku

I will start growing out my body hair. We have a place in Utah but the surrounding units take 10+ years to get an elk tag. I don't leave San Diego often but when I do it's for the great western wilderness.

12. blue_bleeder

blue_bleeder

[​IMG]

13. 1v1willwreku

1v1willwreku

14. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Sounds like an epic Meadapalooza weekend location.

RLD, CanisMajor, blue_bleeder and 7 others like this.
  15. 1v1willwreku

1v1willwreku

I'll bring the cornhole....

16. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

I was thinking more like this :

http://abacovistas.com/

But you'd need a passport.

Dead fucking srs.

17. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

I was going for more of that four day Bonnaroo camping and recreational other stuff feel. Your idea sounds awesome too.

blue_bleeder and MordorMongo like this.
  18. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

I'm in for both.

jivex5k and lurchingbeast like this.
  19. drbenzo

drbenzo

Nice responses fellas!
    I love camping and I have been a tent camper my whole life. But, the kids are 8 and 12, and it's time for an upgrade. I have been shopping trailers for about a month now, and I have narrowed it down to a few dealers and models. We have a Tundra 5.6 V8 and can tow 10K. I am looking at 30 footers essentially. As of shopping yesterday, I have narrowed it down to two main units. Our biggest requirement is bunks. We wan't the kids to be on the other side of the unit and comfortable. Here are the two units we are currently considering.

https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2017-jay-flight/27bhs/

My wife really likes the Jayflight series, and this one met all our needs.

The equivalent Forest River brand would be the Grew Wolf series. We also like this one, but the Jayco felt like a better construction for some reason.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=248&ShowParent=1&ModelID=1629#Main

We want to be somewhat frugal, but I really liked the Sonoma series. It is about 3K more, and has a different outer layer and insulation.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=429&Image=18425&ModelID=3008#Main

If money wasn't an issue, I would be buying a Airstream but we don't need to be spending that much... well, at least till it's just me and the wife and we can buy a smaller one ;)

Does anyone have experience with these brands?

20. brees6221

brees6221

Following.

I grew up camping with my family in a pop-up camper and loved it. That's probably what I will buy within the next few years because it's economical and can be pulled with a minivan or small SUV, and they typically sleep 5-6. Any camping I've done as an adult has been tent camping with friends which I've really enjoyed.