ITT: Coffee

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by neorunner, May 7, 2013.

1. tikk

tikk

Messed around with my grind for my cold brew. Used to use a very fine grind, went super coarse. Wow, what a difference. Less roast, more flavor.

DJPhresh, ASUBeer, ehammond1 and 3 others like this.
  2. coldcrash

coldcrash

I forgot what thread we were in for a moment...

blckout20, Gonzoillini, Gene and 2 others like this.
  3. jbuddle

jbuddle

I have lots of coffee gadgets but still use drip most often and have a cheap mr coffee...is it worth upgrading?

If so, what do you all recommend?

blckout20 likes this.
  4. PepeSylvia

PepeSylvia

arren sent me an aeropress I love it.

Just made my best cup of coffee ever with it. Some Yemen beans I home roasted. Took a few sips had to help my wife with something, our 11 month old grabbed knocked it off the table. Thank god it had cooled down, she didn't get hurt at all.

Been chasing the dragon this AM trying to replicate that cup.

5. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster

It's worth upgrading to a coffee maker that has a strong heating element that can make a pot of coffee within 4-8 minutes. Most cheaper coffee makers are slow and overextract. Sometimes they don't heat the water enough and you end up with poor extraction.

Do you want a drip machine that approximates pour over? If so you need to look at the $250-300 market.

Do you want a machine that makes good drip coffee? If so good machines can be had around $100.

I drink drip most mornings. I have a cuisinart 12 cup machine that I like. I think it runs $90-100. It's the coffee maker you see in almost every TV show. It works well and it's durable. I've had it for almost ten years with daily use and it still works as well as new. It's not mistakable as pour over but it is very good drip.

ASUBeer, iamjeff6, quirk6 and 2 others like this.
  6. jbuddle

jbuddle

Thanks, makes sense. I think a solid $100 machine would be fine. Any specific models to look at if I did go the more expensive (pour over approximation)?

iamjeff6 likes this.
  7. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster

Technivorm Moccamaster $300

Chemex Ottomatic $300

Bonavita (any of their models) $200

blckout20 and jbuddle like this.
  8. iamjeff6

iamjeff6

Been thinking about the same lately. Rushing around in the morning I always head to the keurig for my shitty cup of coffee. I’m tired of drinking shitty keurig coffee.

9. ASUBeer

ASUBeer

I’m on my second Cusianart. I’d recommend them if you’re looking to spend $100.

I really wanted to replace our last Cuisanart with a Bonavita. I didn’t pull the trigger because the Bonavita’s are 8 cups vs 12 and don’t have the auto program option. I’ve already taken my wife as far as she will go in being a coffee snob and the added volume and auto program for the morning are two things she wouldn’t give up.

I’d recommend a Cuisanart for the week and aero press for the weekends when you have more time on your hands.

quirk6, jbuddle and tikk like this.
  10. iamjeff6

iamjeff6

11. michael

michael

I've heard universally bad things about the carafe, primarily related to difficulty to clean and retaining off flavors. Go with one of the glass carafe versions. I don't remember exactly which model I have, but it's the best drip coffee maker I've ever used. It most certainly can be mistaken for a pour over once you dial in your settings.

12. neorunner

neorunner

The fuck am I drinking.

Gene and tikk like this.
  13. iamjeff6

iamjeff6

Weird place to buy one but kohl's has this one (https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3...ack-stainless-steel-coffee-brewer.jsp?prdPV=1)

After discounts and bullshit I can get it for 89$ shipped... worth it?

tikk likes this.
  14. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster

Yesterday I decided to take a stab at adding liquor to green coffee beans--what many are doing to emulate barrel aging. Added tequila to a really nice Mexican coffee. Plan to let it finish soaking up the tequila the rest of today and then dry it out through the week to roast over the weekend.

duckyboycantfly, ASUBeer and tikk like this.
  15. shadowane

shadowane

I'm sure there's a good reason but it seems hilarious to me to add tequila of all liquors to Mexican coffee beans specifically.

16. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster

I have eleven pounds of a twenty-two pound box I ordered wholesale so I have supply to experiment. It's a very clean coffee without aggressive flavors, which I why I picked this coffee to try out adding liquor. If the process is good I intend to try brandy and port, maybe some whisky as well.

I wasn't trying to be kitsch about pairing Mexican liquor with Mexican beans.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  17. shadowane

shadowane

I totally believe that. Still going to think it's funny though.

18. blckout20

blckout20

Yup! You weren’t lying. This made for a very good cup. Got home late from work and found my order waiting in my mailbox.

Had to make a post-6pm cup to sample the goods.

[​IMG]

While I often gravitate toward fruitier coffee, I don’t like when it goes so far that it tastes more like tea. This was spot on delicious. Nice acidity with a touch of sweetness balancing it out. Definitely “clean” as described. Probably going to demolish this bag with frequent afternoon pour overs. On the plus side maybe my evening will be more productive.

(Productive likely meaning more time on TB)

ASUBeer, neorunner, cornboy and 6 others like this.
  19. blckout20

blckout20

Right now Counter Culture is doing free shipping on orders over $30 (2 bags). I don't think they have any samplers currently for sale, but they make some really great beans, lots of variety, and ship quickly. Have ordered from them several times without issue. Most of the coffee I've gotten from them was fruitier though as that's what I typically go for.

Blue Bottle has a few sampler/variety packs on their web store. I subscribed for a while and thought most things were good but not great but shipping was consistently quick.

Stumptown and Tandem are my typical go to for less fruity coffees since I can buy them both locally. I know Stumptown has a $35 trio sampler pack that fits your descriptions.

For smaller spots, Onyx Coffee does a sampler pack of four 4oz coffees for $25. Haven't ordered from them before but have been tempted. And although its maybe not the most cost friendly, Parlor Coffee sells their beans in 8oz bags so you could sort of make your own pricey sampler?

greg4579, FATSH1TTY, ASUBeer and 3 others like this.
  20. duckyboycantfly

duckyboycantfly

This peaks my interest. What ratios are you using?