ITT: Comic Book Discussion

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by Envelopes, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Envelopes

Envelopes

Anyone read comics? I'm not necessarily talking about hoarding superhero rags in plastic bags (but if you do, that's cool) moreso the "underground" comics.

Some favorites:

Michael DeForge - insanely prolific, works on Adventure Time, does a lot of uncomfortable sometimes drug-fueled/dreamy/paranoid body-horror. He just won three Ignatz awards this year. Good place to start would be either Very Casual, a collection of small-print work or wait for the Lose collection that brings together issues #2-5 (he hates and is never reprinting #1) of his one-man 'anthology' Lose. Plenty of webseries and out-of-print stuff to read on his website kingtrash.com
    [​IMG]

Patrick Kyle - A friend of DeForge but working in a more abstract and goofy way. Weird, sometimes seemingly meaningless, a few fart/dick jokes. He did a small-print sci-fi series called Distance Mover that had a pretty loose story and a large piece (collected and mass market printed) called Black Mass that's a riff on punks/punk culture with a bit of supernatural goofiness. Patrickkyle.com
    [​IMG]

CF - noise/synth musician (Kites, Mark Lord, Daily Life, etc.) that these days is putting more time into comics. Part of the whole Providence Ford Thunder scene. Hard to find his small-print stuff (free-cf.com is updated sporadically with new things that often sell out in a few days). He has a psychedelic sci-fi series called Powr Mastrs that saw a large printing. Vol. 1-3 can be found cheap most places. Vol. 4 coming soon. The Mere anthology that was recently released is not a good starting point. Go with Powr Mastrs.
    [​IMG]

Simon Hanselmann - Australian weirdo who spends a lot of time posting pictures of himself in drag on tumblr. I know. He's annoying. His comics are really good though. A witch, her cat, an owl and a werewolf sitting around smoking weed and getting depressed. Most of his stuff is just free at girlmountain.tumblr.com but he does have a large anthology coming on Fantagraphics next year and a smaller new piece on Space Face Books next month.
    [​IMG]

Brian Chippendale - Another noisey guy (Lightning Bolt, Black Pus). Heavy Gary Panter influence on his scratchy no-dead-space comics. A lot of cultural satire and sci-fi themes. Easy to just sit down and relax with one of these. Good place to start is probably If-n-Oof his most recent. It's huge but it's one panel per page so it goes quicker than you would think. He also has a webseries called Puke Force that you can read on pictureboxinc.com though it's currently on hiatus (and the print version is long overdue).
    [​IMG]

and a little more popular but still far from superhero:
    Chris Ware - Beautifully arranged, sometimes a bit hard to figure out which frame to read, but the work pays off. Great storyteller. Pretty depressing but not sappy or phony. Read Jimmy Corrigan.
    [​IMG]

Daniel Clowes - Yeah, yeah the dude that wrote Ghost World. He's got some great stuff. David Boring is a fantastic story and Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron is basically a bizarre David Lynch movie in comic form.
    [​IMG]

Charles Burns - A small but worthy body of work. I'm not a fan of his early pieces from anthologies/mags but his first and only 'graphic novel' Black Hole is fantastic. It's about a bunch of teenagers and an STD that makes them mutate (disfigured, not superpowers style). He also started a great new Tin Tin inspired trilogy - but it took two years between parts 1 & 2 so the final part probably won't be out for at least another year.
    [​IMG]

mborden, Stubs, JBPortland and 2 others like this.
  2. TheDuke

TheDuke

Have you read Transmetropolitan yet?

If not, based on that tl;dr you really should.

Lymi! ;)

ABSTRACTlegend, Stubs and Envelopes like this.
  3. stupac2

stupac2

I don't read any print comics, but I read about 50 webcomics. Some highlights are:

Bug Martini: This guy's sense of humor is almost identical to my own, that makes it a pretty weird read.
    Dinosaur Comics: The art is exactly the same every day, but it doesn't matter, the writing is hilarious.
    Cyanide and Happiness: Run by a group of guys, their humor is definitely on the "terrible" side, it's awesome. They do animated shorts too.
    Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal: I'm not really sure how to describe his style, it's kind of all over the place. Though over the past year or two it's gotten more toward the realm of geek humor.

I can definitely list more if anyone cares.

4. biglobo8971

biglobo8971

5. BorisKarloff

BorisKarloff

I'm a big fan of Super Mega Comics, though I can't really explain why.

Abstruse Goose is another good one - kinda reads like a mix of XKCD and SMBC.

To the OP, I enjoy Chew and Y: The Last Man. Not sure those qualify as underground, but they're both pretty great!

6. ABSTRACTlegend

ABSTRACTlegend

I know there is already a thread about what you are reading, but I thought we should have a thread just for comic books. what comics are you currently reading or recommend others to read?

I'm currently reading this
    [​IMG]

and loving every page of it, i'm currently reading on vol. 11 right now. although it's all in black n white I would suggest you check this out especially if your a fan of the television show.

Previously likes this.
  7. bramsdell

bramsdell

Link's broken (for me at least).

I used to read comics and still have a couple of boxes kicking around. I'm a big Batman fan, love Morrison's long run on him. Also a fan of the Flash.

Never really got into Marvel.

8. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

[​IMG]
    Any Love and Rockets fans here?

9. mattafett

mattafett

I have 6??? longboxes full of mostly DC stuff. Books Of Magic, Hellblazer, Sandman, etc. I have been seriously wanting to get back in a bit (it has been ~20 yrs) but have no idea where to start.

10. libbey

libbey

currently rereading Preacher

[​IMG]

11. mattafett

mattafett

Arbitrator ????????

12. libbey

libbey

Also been slowly working through the Calvin and Hobbes complete collection. Beautiful set if you're a fan.

[​IMG]

mborden, Stubs, JBPortland and 7 others like this.
  13. aml42000

aml42000

Saga is my favorite book in rotation right now by a mile. Easy to catch up via trade paperbacks.

Fatale is fantastic as well.

Marvel & DC to a lesser degree write "events" more so than books in order to repackage as trade paperbacks. X-Men books have reached critical mass again. Two Marvel standouts are Daredevil & Hawkeye as they are independent of the universe events they always seem to have going on.

JBPortland likes this.
  14. TheDuke

TheDuke

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
    Envelopes likes this.
  15. ABSTRACTlegend

ABSTRACTlegend

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  16. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

MordorMongo likes this.
  17. TheDuke

TheDuke

Gene 's too smart to make me a mod.

ABSTRACTlegend likes this.
  18. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Moderator Staff Member

So..... should I merge them or no? I'll let the people decide on this one.

19. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

Walking Dead, already documented. American Vampire. Anything Scott Snyder (sp) does. DC52 Justice League and Swamp Thing. Oh and The Boys (rip)

20. ABSTRACTlegend

ABSTRACTlegend

they both have pretty few posts in them I would say just merge and keep my title, if everyone is cool with that

MarkIntihar likes this.