ITT: First Time Father Advice

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by ficklenicholas, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Jnorton00

Jnorton00

Sounds like you weren't really that invested in solving the mystery.

sliverx, Brady, Fingolfin and 11 others like this.
  2. harrymel

harrymel

libbey dat raz

Brady, libbey and Rock31 like this.
  3. chefduff2

chefduff2

Our kids just randomly decided to get up at 445-5 am for the past couple nights. They are 3.5 and have had a great stretch of sleeping. Anyone deal with this before? Missing that 1.5 hours of sleep is starting to really fuck with us.

ASUBeer likes this.
  4. steimie

steimie

My almost 5 year old did that for awhile around that age. You gotta nip that shit in the ass ASAP. Make it crystal clear that they need to go back to bed. Don't tell them they have to sleep, but they do need to lay quietly in bed. It's not time to get up yet. We love you, but back to bed it is. Don't want to or can't lay quietly? Then the discipline kicks in, whatever you normally do for discipline.

3 1/2 is plenty old enough for you to be firm about this shit. They can understand what is and isn't acceptable. Should be long before everyone is back sleeping to their normal time.

5. shadowane

shadowane

We have clocks that light up when they are allowed out of bed. Has worked for both our kids.

6. chefduff2

chefduff2

Sounds good. Yes, we have been telling them to lay quiet in bed. We are hoping with the clock change on Sunday to help a bit. Will try the clock, but they are a hard sell when they are up and ready for the day no matter what time it is.

steimie likes this.
  7. shadowane

shadowane

Yeah we started those clocks before they were 2 so they were well trained before they ever entered a bed they could escape.

exitmusic00 likes this.
  8. gregkoko

gregkoko

Wife is at 31 weeks. Got pounded with snow yesterday and the power went out around 5pm. I was able to shovel us out today. Her work got cancelled, but I was able to head to an office not too far from our house. As soon as I sit down I get a text saying she had a contraction and then another one about 40 minutes later. Assuming it's Braxton Hicks but holy shit is that scary and I hate not being there with her especially with there still nto being power at the house.

9. fogindex

fogindex

LMK when y'all start doing #ProperOnesies

[​IMG]

sliverx, capnmike, Brez07 and 9 others like this.
  10. boogercrack

boogercrack

[​IMG]

On it. The boy has had good taste from the beginning.

Amazing that was nearly 2 years ago and my second son is wayyyyy too big for that onsie now.

Built a house, had another kid, drank a lot more lambic. A lot has changed but a lot is still the same.

sliverx, capnmike, Brez07 and 19 others like this.
  11. TommyShitt

TommyShitt

You need a banana lambic for his 21st.

12. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Happy daylight savings, you bastards

13. FTowne

FTowne

Looking forward to it. Love the ability to get a little outdoor time after school every evening.

ASUBeer, stupac2, boogercrack and 4 others like this.
  14. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Which clock do you have?

15. shadowane

shadowane

We bought this one for our daughter:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C0XNITU/?tag=talkbecom09-20
    It works great for its purpose in keeping her in bed, but the light itself could be a bit brighter. However, the clock part (the part on the bottom right) changes colors as well so that makes up for it. It has battery backup and keeps time pretty well.

The one we got for my son apparently isn't available anymore, but it isn't super great anyway. It totally worked and I don't regret getting it, but it loses a little time and the clock portion is difficult to use.

Honestly, though, there are a ton of them out there so just choose whatever you seem to like. The key for us was having a morning and nap time along with a clear enough change from awake to asleep. We made sure to say goodnight to the clock when we put them to sleep and praise them when they stayed in bed until the clock woke up. Consistency is really the key just like mostly anything with children.

edit: I guess this is the one in my son's room.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VVIHPS/?tag=talkbecom09-20

edit2: there seems to be a newer version of the one I linked above that is $10 cheaper. No idea what changed about it.

Oaklandtraders and Fingolfin like this.
  16. BigFrank

BigFrank

We went with this and were happy.

Mirari OK to Wake! Alarm Clock & Night-Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EAHSBV4/?tag=talkbecom09-20

exitmusic00, Fingolfin and tikk like this.
  17. steimie

steimie

[​IMG]

This one worked well for us.

18. BigFrank

BigFrank

You must have had BBBBBBBOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!

19. Jnorton00

Jnorton00

I wish I was aware of these clocks for my oldest and she'll be 6 Friday so it's probably too late to try one out now. We had a snow day yesterday and she could sleep all morning but of course she decided it was a good day to get up at 4:45...

chefduff2 and BigFrank like this.
  20. BigFrank

BigFrank

Good age to shovel the driveway? I mean, if she's up anyway, right?

sliverx, exitmusic00, tosh and 4 others like this.