ITT: Foraging

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by SAISON FUCK, May 6, 2018.

1. SAISON FUCK

SAISON FUCK

Let's go out to the yard and/or woods and pick some random shit to eat!

5 gallon bucket full of stinging nettle. We have so much nettle on our property. We will end up mowing a lot of it down, but there has been pesto, tea, and we will be drying some of this for later use.
    [​IMG]

Violet and forsythia jelly
    [​IMG]

American redbud is related to a pea variety, and they kinda taste like pea flowers. We sprinkled some on a salad this afternoon and it was satisfying
    [​IMG]

What do you like to forage for?

2. mattafett

mattafett

Are you of Romanian decent? They have several dishes made from nettles.

MordorMongo and tosh like this.
  3. The Coming of Gose

The Coming of Gose

sliverx, Lutter, rrrjjj and 10 others like this.
  4. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

5. ncaudle

ncaudle

I forage flowers, berries, bark, etc for wild yeast
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. SAISON FUCK

SAISON FUCK

Not of Romanian decent. My only previous nettle experience was with stinging nettle pasta at one of my favorite restaurants in Chicago. Once we moved to our new home in Michigan and saw the outrageous amounts of stinging nettle, we knew we had to do something with them. Also, picking the nettle while small makes picking raspberries later a much more pleasant experience.

7. Matterhorn

Matterhorn

First time morel hunting yesterday. Spent three hours in the car, four hours walking around, and $20 in gas and tolls but it was all worth it when I stumbled about this. Only one I found but I felt like a kid again for a few minutes.

(Link to media)

sliverx, nanobrew, greg4579 and 22 others like this.
  8. Pneill316

Pneill316

I never knew the stinging nettle had any real value. Would always imagine taking a flame thrower to fields of it as it would light my ass up when wearing shorts.

I usually forage some berries when in season, raspberries, blackberries and wineberries are most common for me. My job has me in some remote location everyday that lead to some good pikin.

tosh, FTowne, Beerontwowheels and 3 others like this.
  9. Pneill316

Pneill316

I’ve always wondered about doing something like this, though I imagined a cool ship in the middle of a meadow of the flowers (obviously a lot harder to do logistically). There was always one that drove me wild during spring, the Russian Olive tree. The smell on a dewy morning was straight Brett to the nose, always wondered what kind of wild yeast was floating around there?

10. Compton25

Compton25

Spent the morning foraging blackberries and stumbled across a new patch of wild onions. Left the smaller ones, but went ahead a pulled a larger one to add to tonight's meal. Finished up a few batches of freezer jam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sliverx, nanobrew, ASUBeer and 20 others like this.
  11. ncaudle

ncaudle

my few attempts at pure coolship type inoculations over the years were unsuccessful, at least at the home brew level, but that may have also been more a result of poor vessel geometry as I wasn't using anything wide and shallow for optimal rates...

I've tended to have fairly decent success with this method so far and it's made some fantastic beer.

I'm sure I'll re-visit coolships this next season with more appropriate designs

12. SAISON FUCK

SAISON FUCK

Some weekend foraging
    [​IMG]

My wife found the dryad's saddle mushrooms in the woods by her parent's house yesterday. They smell of cucumber, which is interesting. No morels located, but some wild onion, ramps, bracken fern, and redbuds.

Not pictured, but my wife made some cherry blossom jelly that is rad. It tastes of pollen and flowers.

ASUBeer, tosh, FTowne and 11 others like this.
  13. SAISON FUCK

SAISON FUCK

In case you are wondering how we use some of our foraged goods:
    [​IMG]
    I can't claim any cooking skills, but the bracken fern were sauteed in some cultured butter that my wife made and then sprinkled with parmesan.

The main event was the mushrooms and green garbanzos over farro that was boiled in a wild onion broth. Then sprinkled with some parmesan and redbuds. Pretty magnificent if you ask me.

14. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

Looks great and I seriously admire that that is enough for a meal for you. I’m a fucking glutton.

sliverx, jivex5k, FTowne and 4 others like this.
  15. SAISON FUCK

SAISON FUCK

We went to a mother's day brunch this morning and it was full of prime rib, beer battered cod, all the potatoes and way too much dessert. Normally this wouldn't be enough.

sliverx, nanobrew, Moondog and 6 others like this.
  16. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

Thank you for lessening, slightly, my guilt.

17. stakem

stakem

Love this thread and wish I had more to contribute.

I take my kids out to pick wild blackberries, raspberries, wineberries, blueberries and huckleberries. Last year I found a cherry tree, numerous chestnut and walnut trees and a patch of ground cherries in a most unusual spot. Planning on visiting all the usual spots this year around the 4th of July as thats usually when the berries are ready.

PA weather is screwy. If you arnt on top of the blackberries and checking them daily they seemingly go from unripe to exploded/moldy/rotting away in as little as one rainy day.

For the past 4 years now I have said each spring that I want to get out looking for ramps and morels but life gets crazy with coaching softball and baseball and before I know it spring is over and ive spent less than 10 total hours walking the woods.

18. stakem

stakem

Not trying to steal info from ya but based on posts I believe you made in the past, you reside around philly dont ya?

“three hours in the car” assuming 1.5 hours each way puts you within my area if you traveled to the north west...

Matterhorn likes this.
  19. Matterhorn

Matterhorn

Correct on locale but you need to consider the Philly traffic tax so I only made it as far as northern Bucks County in that time. If you're further north or northwest from there, you may actually have better luck. From my research, morels highly prefer limestone rich soils which are more prevalent in Berks, Lehigh, and Northampton Counties than Bucks.

There were plenty of good trees (poplars) where I was so I was assuming the soils were to blame for my meager harvest. Or maybe I was too early or too late in the season. Or maybe I just haven't a clue what the fuck I'm doing.

20. Pneill316

Pneill316

Not a big mushroom guy, but I’m always wondering the woods around PA at work, I’ll have to keep a look out.

sliverx and FTowne like this.