ITT - Gearheads and Rides

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by willseph, Aug 22, 2013.

1. GhostOfGaspar

GhostOfGaspar

Figured since this thread is getting some run, and there is some truck-talk, I'd poke my head in.

My sublime wife and I are 4 years in to a 5 year plan to buy a camper. We're going to the Tampa RV show this weekend for the 4th year in a row to scope shit out. Our plan is to figure out the approximate camper style, length, weight and cost that's right for us. I know I'm cross-pollinating threads here, but we're basically looking at 17'-25' and 4k-6k dry weight. This size/weight is a step up from our original plans of a hybrid camper, which is significantly lighter than a traditional. This squashes my dream of a Ridgeline (I'm ducking to avoid the predictable hate and Brokeback memes).

I'd like something that can tow the camper, fully loaded. Obviously this is the #1 priority. Beyond that, I'm the "Home Depot 3-4 times a year guy", and the truck's primary purpose will be city travel, to and from work. I'm interested in comfort and creature comforts, with a back seat for the dogs and hopefully a child at some point soon.

Pretty much all my research has lead me to F150s, which is fine. I just wanted to know if anyone had any strong feelings on any of the other options out there.

Ideally I'd like to get a used truck with fewer than 25k miles on it, and keep my price point below 35k. We have money to put a substantial down-payment, and should be able to get great interest rates as our credit is excellent. But the idea is to keep our payment minimal, which will allow us to buy the camper. My wife's car is now paid off, and mine has been for a couple years (years 4 and 2 of the 5-year plan, respectively).

So learn me about trucks. The only one I ever owned was a 98 Ranger, which I think barely applies.

TL;DR- Buying a truck to tow a camper and drive to work. Ideas?

jtmartino likes this.
  2. bramsdell

bramsdell

But they also take up significantly more space (due to the largely unused bed, wide width, etc.) and weigh significantly more than comparable full-size sedans. It's classic example of not just people buying something they don't need, but actually believing that something that is harmful (to their pockets in terms of fuel, to the environment due to decreased efficiency) is beneficial.

Love the IS300. Always wanted the sportback version but, alas, was auto only.

jtmartino and lurchingbeast like this.
  3. FATSH1TTY

FATSH1TTY

I would suggest you start looking at trucks and focus on “payload” and look at the total GVWR of said trucks. The payload will be whatever the sticker on your door says, minus the weight of the truck. That will then be reduced by however much you put in said truck including you. Same for the camper.

Then look at tounge weight of a trailer. Assuming if you are looking at small campers you won’t delving into the 5th wheel catagory. That’s when axle ratings for GVRW for front and rear come into play.

I would look into trucks with towing packages. Those will be better fitted to handle the towing including gearing, wheel size, tire weight and ply, and will offer some upgrades transmission things like coolers to help the truck handle.

For your price range and mileage, you’ll be lucky to find a Lariat trim... more likely you’ll be able to find the XL and XLT trim levels. Atleast that’s what I find here in the ATL market. Those will have a couple bells and whistles on them. 4 door. Tons of space, and in a 17-18 model year. Just won’t have leather, or infotainment screens, unfortunately.

GhostOfGaspar likes this.
  4. FATSH1TTY

FATSH1TTY

I’m not following your point? Why do you care if it takes up more space because of a bed and being wider? Or that it’s weight is more than your ideal car? Lots of people put covers on their truck beds too, lots of space for cargo and luggage, and water proof too!

If people have the money and desire to buy a truck or SUV, they don’t need to fill out some test to prove that it’s beneficial to them or anyone else for that matter.

People buy all kind of shit in life that others think is wasteful. Does everyone need a 3000+ sq ft home on 8 acres? Do we need 38 ft deep sea fishing boats with 4 outboard motors? Do we need reslly spacious RVs ?

Nahh probably not. But if it brings joy and happiness to them, they can go buy on barring they can financially afford to do so.

lurchingbeast likes this.
  5. bramsdell

bramsdell

It takes up more space without any utility.

But, yes, your point is not wrong. This is America; we are built on capitalism. Buy whatever it is that you can afford; we have no external responsibilities. I agree that people do not need huge homes, fishing boats, or big trucks. I also know that there's nothing we'll be able to do to actually stop people from buying these things. It's just unfortunate to me that people exercise their freedoms by purchasing things that they don't need that create such excess waste. Just because you can and have the right to buy something does not mean that it is the right thing to do.

And I think that "joy and happiness" derived from things is already questionable. I believe that most people buy things and they do not provide them joy and happiness.

Also, not looking to get into an argument on social responsibility and any disconnect between materialism and self-fulfillment. This is a car thread, after all.

So, on topic: I give zero fux about the new Z4/Supra. It looks kinda silly and it's just the regular BMW TT I6 (a fantastic engine, sure) stuffed into an overpriced roaster/coupe body. Nothing new and not particularly sexy. I'm unsure why anyone would buy one, at those prices, instead of a Boxster/Cayman.

Arbitrator and lurchingbeast like this.
  6. FATSH1TTY

FATSH1TTY

I get it, I guess we don’t see eye to eye. I buy shit because I want it and can afford it. If I buy it I buy it to enjoy it and use it.

Living life thinking about how wasteful everything could be perceived had got to be draining.

To keep it on topic: purchasing my F250 next week, can’t wait to drive that tank around town. My employees are going to have a good time hating on me after I buy it, I’m sure.

7. PepeSylvia

PepeSylvia

We grabbed a 20ft hybrid and picked up a 13 tundra crewmax. Other than the insanely shitty MPG, it is a super reliable capable truck. The crewmax had tons of space for the 2 kids in the back, and lots of power. Paid 26k with 50k-60k miles.

I sold it already though, mostly cause I always like to change vehicles around. The truck was great. Now looking at the Jeep gladiator, or Porsche cayanne to tow the camper, it only weighs 3500.

Additionally IMHO the canvas, open air beds in a hybrid camper is where it's at, not a fan of the small windows , and the closed in feeling of a traditional trailer.

jtmartino and GhostOfGaspar like this.
  8. Espeer

Espeer

Consider suvs. I was looking for a used truck. The suv versions were uniformly much less expensive than the truck version. Sometimes by a factor of 2x! Expedition vs. F150, tahoe vs. Silverado, sequoia vs. Tundra, etc. Usually have very similar tow ratings. Only drawback is if you are getting mulch or something then you need a trailer (which, if you have the room to park it, is way nicer and more than paid for by the suv discount).

An example was my 2003 expedition. $2500 with the 5.4 engine, cooled and heated leather seats. An comparable f150 would have been tough to find for 5 grand.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  9. FATSH1TTY

FATSH1TTY

Good point! Doesn’t have to be a truck. But again- depending on trailer tounge weight and how hefty one packs, some of the SUVs will vary in payload and capacity to be safe. Heavier SUVs will eat away at payload. Especially those that are well appointed.

My wife’s 4x4 expedition has a tow package, trailer brakes and all those stupid gizmos, but doesn’t have quite the capacity thst one would think. That said- if your camper isn’t something crazy huge most of the time you can get within the guidelines.

10. Espeer

Espeer

Or get an excursion or 2500 suburban!

11. FATSH1TTY

FATSH1TTY

I know about that excursion. Shame they don’t make them anymore, I’d have one for the wifey.

Never heard of the 2500 suburban!!

12. Pneill316

Pneill316

Totally agree with the AWD, my s600 is a bit sluggish off the line, but I think a little better throttle response couldn’t hurt with that either. Then again they didn’t want any chauffeurs spilling their bosses coffee on them either.

I won’t get a truck because I don’t want to be asked to help people move shit. Feel like that will just come with the territory. Can’t fit shit in the back of an 8 series. Plus different strokes for different folks yo. I pack my driveway with v12’s because fuck it they’re fun to drive and I have a work truck to rely on. Plus I am also willing and able repair almost anything on them myself.

13. PepeSylvia

PepeSylvia

I had the tundra for 5 months, and lent it out at least 6 times.

Pneill316, bramsdell and GRDave like this.
  14. GRDave

GRDave

15. PepeSylvia

PepeSylvia

Pneill316 and GRDave like this.
  16. GRDave

GRDave

Yes, and it has reasonable mileage for the age. It spent much of its life in Florida, not sure if that’s good or bad. It does not have the Prestige Pkg, so no MMI or Drive Select adaptive suspension. Which I see as a positive. Worried about carbon buildup on the intake valves too. So, ok price with potential for some considerable maintenance costs. I’m treading lightly.

Pneill316, bramsdell and PepeSylvia like this.
  17. FATSH1TTY

FATSH1TTY

Good thing about the south is no one asks for you to move or borrow your truck.

Everyone has one, or they hire people with box trucks to move em. Moving sucks!! I’d never have a truck if people always asked to borrow it or have me help move.

Pneill316 and PepeSylvia like this.
  18. jtmartino

jtmartino

I don’t know what this means. The utility of the truck is the bed. That’s the point. If someone wanted to tow something and didn’t need a truck bed, they would buy an SUV.

I honestly don’t know anyone that owns a truck that didn’t buy it for the bed. Even just throwing stuff in the bed, the capacity of which generally exceeds that of an SUV (even a short bed) due to vertical space, is a convenience that enhances the utility.

Now maybe you are referring to people that never use the bed of their truck, and would be happier with an SUV. But I think that’s an exception these days given the price of trucks including fuel costs.

Personally, I was spending almost $100/month on average renting a truck for our home remodel just for trips for lumber, materials, and to the dump and recycling center. I said fuck it and bought a 93 F150 XLT long bed for $2k and have had it for a few years, and it’s more than paid itself off.

Did I need to buy it? No, but the convenience has been tremendous, and worth every penny.

I think that’s a very important thing to consider. The convenience of having a truck available when you need it, even if that’s infrequently, has tremendous value for some people. Especially for those that use it for hobbies.

GRDave and FATSH1TTY like this.
  19. PepeSylvia

PepeSylvia

I hate jamming all my equipment for a group brew day in to my Camry.

jtmartino likes this.
  20. bramsdell

bramsdell