ITT: Golf Talk and What Have You

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by stxSS07, Feb 26, 2014.

1. stxSS07

stxSS07

It's almost March, and even though it's still in the single-digits I'm getting the itch to get out and play. Been hounding eBay for a new bag setup the last few days.

Discuss favorite equipment, courses, players, handicap, tour happenings, etc. Also feel free to post instructional stuff (especially if we have any PGA professionals lurking).

GOLF.

MarkIntihar, Hanzo, JM03 and 3 others like this.
  2. Rau71

Rau71

Ahh yes golf "season" or as I call it 12 months a year. I only play maybe once a month. I suck, and every time I go I talk about needing to go more often. My favorite local course is Hunter Ranch in Paso Robles, favorite course ever played is probably the course at Primm Valley state line.

MrVonzipper, MarkIntihar and jodan like this.
  3. stxSS07

stxSS07

fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

I've been as low as a mid-single digit 'capper, but played to a 10 last year. Just didn't get enough time on the range. Might finally bite the bullet and pick up a new flat stick this year...had the same Never Compromise putter since I was 12. Thing is boss.

MordorMongo, blue_bleeder and Rau71 like this.
  4. Rau71

Rau71

My cousin was on Calloway then Taylor Made staff for a long time. I have a set of x-15's? I think and a badass Versa putter. I haven't had a handicap since I was 12, but I usually shoot in the 90's when I play.

thomasaurus rex and stxSS07 like this.
  5. Jaminjohnson

Jaminjohnson

Always loved golfs, this is a pic of the first one I owned. MKIII golf/gti

[​IMG]

NeedsMoreDog, Frank, buzzword and 6 others like this.
  6. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

I play with Mizuno MP64 irons, Vokey spin-milled wedges, a Cameron Newport 1.5 Prototype Limited flat stick and currently an R1 driver though that is likely changing here soon. Haven't decided what yet, will go hit some and pick whichever one keeps me in the short grass. I play most often at a course near me called Bear Slide, but my favorite (around me anyway) is a place called Rock Hollow about an hour north of here. I also live pretty close to Crooked Stick and get to play it several times a year. Favorite ever is Pinehurst no.2, which is just a bad mofo. I am actually a Tiger fan, though it pains me to say that, I won't lie. Big Bubba fan as well. Favorite of all time is definitely Tom Watson (I'm old, remember?). Handicap wise best I managed was a 2, had wrist issues last year so don't have a current one but in 2012 was a 5. My dad and step-mom run a golf course currently and he's always been in the business so I've literally played since I can remember.

Let's hit it sometime......TB golf outing????

[​IMG]

jivex5k, MrVonzipper, daniel and 5 others like this.
  7. BeersMorgan

BeersMorgan

Currently on the Jordan Spieth bandwagon. Great to see young kids put on a good show and hopefully get the next generation into golf.

MrVonzipper and stxSS07 like this.
  8. stxSS07

stxSS07

Nice bag! Love Mizuno irons. Actually picked up a brand new Cleveland Classic XL for $55 since I posted this. Was looking at a new black R1 for $180, but for $50 I'll give the Cleveland a shot.

Currently rolling with a Hi-Bore XL Tour (free a few years ago), XL 2i (best ever), older Cobra irons, 54* Vokey, 58* Callaway X (illegal grooves I think), and aforementioned boss NC mallet that I threw a Super Stroke on at the end of last season. Looking at picking up a set of Cleveland 588 MBs as well.

100% in for TB swing sesh. Inininininin.

MordorMongo likes this.
  9. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

I love the look of the R1, and it's cool with the adjustments, but without fail I cannot keep that fucker on the course (I know, I know, it's not the club, it's me). Seriously though, I dial it in what seems to be just fine yet gradually I will start hitting it a bit left, OR a bit right...which as you know it irritating as you can compensate for one or the other, but golf becomes no fun when you are aiming 10 yards right and it fucking goes more right. Looking at one of the new Cleveland's for sure, it's on the short list.

10. Hanzo

Hanzo

I'm a Callaway man m'self. I used to play 4-5 times a year but I haven't played in over a year.

I think I like the idea of golf better than golf itself. Going out with friends for the day, driving carts, drinking beers, shooting the shit etc....but the game itself is the most frustrating sport/activity I've ever participated in.

11. steimie

steimie

You should try trading beer sometime.

12. Hanzo

Hanzo

I dunno, I've never been so frustrated with trading that I threw my box of beer into a lake.

Frank, Evahflow, bramsdell and 3 others like this.
  13. stxSS07

stxSS07

I feel like I'd drive myself insane with an R1 for that exact reason. Last adjustable I hit was a first gen Mizuno FastTrac (aka SLDR 6yrs ago)...that bastard only had 2 weights im like 8 positions and I still spent more time fiddling at the range than actually swinging.

I've always been a bit of a Cleveland fanboi I guess, but I'll hit whatever you put in front of me. Just a fun game.

I'm about 50/50 whether I drink when I play. Depends on who I'm with/if there's decent money being tossed around.

Definitely have more fun when drinking as I'm usually not gambling (big anyway) and don't give a damn if I toe hook one OB or something.

MordorMongo likes this.
  14. BeersMorgan

BeersMorgan

[​IMG]

Rocking this sweet Tour Action Box Set, minus the putter, I just started using a Nike Method MC11 the last 2 times out in the fall. Haven't gotten used to it yet, but as you can tell from the used box set of clubs, I'm not very good. Shoot 90 on a great day but usually in the upper 90s.

MordorMongo and stxSS07 like this.
  15. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

People getting frustrated at golf amuse me. ;) Sure I'd rather shoot 70 than 90, but you are still spending hours outdoors in nature's beauty. Trying to hit a small ball into a small hole using tiny blades from 400 yards away in 4 strokes is laughable....I'm actually amazed anyone can do it if you really think about it.

Not that I haven't broken my fair share of wedges before or anything though. Everyone knows those cocksuckers are evil. Back when I played a lot I always bought 2 of every new wedge because it was inevitable one would piss me off at some point and end up in a pond or broken over my knee.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    jivex5k, RayP, chaggy5 and 5 others like this.
  16. Number45

Number45

Awesome thread! Count me in for any TB golf outing in the northeast.

Been as low as a 1.5 but played more like a 5-6 last season. Family trouble meant I couldn't play much last year, looking forward to getting back at it this year. Although it'll probably be late April before we get started up here in Vermont. It's the winter that keeps on giving, love it.

I play Taylor Made R11, the original white one. Fell out of love with it last year, might look at other options this year. Love the look and technology in the SLDR. I was a Callaway guy ever since the Great Big Bertha before I tried the R11. The generation of Callaway stuff concurrent with the release of the R11 was underwhelming to say the least, but the newer Callaway drivers do seem much better.

Callaway FT-3 3-wood, Titleist 910 hybrid (21 degrees). Mizuno MP-62 irons, 4-PW. (Throw away your 3-iron, people.) Cleveland CG-15 wedges, 52, 56 and 60. And I play the original B-3M Heavy Putter, the mallet one. It must weigh like two pounds, I love the fucking thing. It'll be in my bag a long time. Although, I'm thinking about getting a second one (same putter) to put one of those big fat Super Stroke grips on it. I don't want to mess with my original, but I love the feel of those gigantic grips. We'll see.

I love the white New Decade grips. It's the winter, be sure to get your clubs re-gripped. If you play 15-20 times a year or more, you probably need new grips. Amazing how much it helps.

stxSS07 and MordorMongo like this.
  17. stxSS07

stxSS07

I've yet to throw/break/scream profanity since I started playing seriously 2yrs ago. Maybe it's from wrestling for so long, but there is literally no one to blame but yourself for a shit shot so I usually laugh at myself and either 1) crack a cold one or 2) press like a mother.

BeersMorgan and MarkIntihar like this.
  18. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

+1 on the grips, I got mine back a couple weeks ago as usually can start playing in early March here.....alas this year it looks like it may be fucking May before we can play.

19. Number45

Number45

Yup, range opened here last year in third week of March and we were on the course before the Masters. Knew Mother Nature would fuck us over this year for that one.

20. JM03

JM03

I'm currently playing with a set of X18's. Not my favorite irons I've ever used, but they aren't bad. Odyssey 2 ball putter. I used to play at least once per week, but the last couple years it has dropped to about once per month. Kids ruin everything.

stxSS07 likes this.