ITT: Pumpkin Beers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michigan1

Reaction score
Love em? Hate em? Discuss them here!

images

Just got home from chowderfest on Long Beach Island. Told Shteiven to pick anything out of the fridge. He chose wisely:

IMG_0935.JPG
This was delicious. Also made a beer a few years back with grilled squash that turned out pretty tasty.
It's easy to make fun of pumpkin beers, but this is next-level **** right here.

Side note: I usually point people to this piece on Serious Eats when they start acting like pumpkin ale is some deplorable new American seasonal marketing gimmick. Pumpkin pie beers may indeed be a newer trend, but before the first Americans ever brewed successfully with malted barley, they were using pumpkins as their primary source for fermentable sugars.

Last edited:
It's easy to make fun of pumpkin beers, but this is next-level **** right here.

Side note: I usually point people to this piece on Serious Eats when they start acting like pumpkin ale is some deplorable new American seasonal marketing gimmick. Pumpkin pie beers may indeed be a newer trend, but before the first Americans ever brewed successfully with malted barley, they were using pumpkins as their primary source for fermentable sugars.

Perfectly said. Truth be told most of the issue with pumpkin beers is how popular they are. The more popular something is in the beer world the more people make shitty versions of them. Schlafly and Alewerks pumpkin are still great beers.

I don't enjoy pumpkin beers but I thought the Almanac Heirloom Pumpkin was pretty tasty. La Parcela and Ghoulschip are decent too.

Somehow I always manage to collect a massive lineup of pumpkin beers by grabbing singles, getting them as extras, etc. I really need to just blow them all out in a big blind taste test to get them out of my fridge and cellar.

I do love me some St. Arnold's Pumpkinator though.

Somehow I always manage to collect a massive lineup of pumpkin beers by grabbing singles, getting them as extras, etc. I really need to just blow them all out in a big blind taste test to get them out of my fridge and cellar.

I do love me some St. Arnold's Pumpkinator though.

Thanksgiving last year I did a blind tasting with 14 pumpkin beers for my family and friends. 12 were ones I acquired via trading or travels and 2 were my homebrews. (Standard pumpkin ale and pumpkin saison.)

The unanimous winner was Schlafly followed by my pumpkin saison.
Surprisingly Elysians Great Pumpkin was pretty low on the list as well as Pumpking.

Never really cared for pumpkin beers until this year. I like to have one or two, but usually no more. I think my favorites so far were Good Gourd (more spicy than I expected) and Schlafly (incredibly balanced IMO).

For anyone in the Carolinas, if you get a chance to have Wicked Weed's rum barrel-aged smoked pumpkin ale, DO IT! This is probably my favorite pumpkin beer I've had, totally awesome stuff.

Pumpkin beers are one of my favorite styles. I have yet to try a rum barreled variant and it gives me the sad feels. Pumking is probably my favorite.

**** pumpkin beers. I've drank one so far this year (Almanac's and it was delicious) and unless I happen across another bottle of that, or one of CCB's BA offerings, I'll likely not have another pumpkin beer until next year, if at all.

That Almanac was pretty fantastic.

Other than that, I buy a 4-pack of Dogfish Head Punkin every year for the feels. I'm lame and nostalgic in the fall.

I enjoy some of them, but it isn't a style I care that much about. I think I'm joining in on a smallish (15 or so bottles) pumpkin beer tasting that my friend is organizing. Really, it is just killing time until our sour tasting in a few weeks.

I look forward to pumpkin beers every year. Schlafly Pumpkin and Heavy Seas The Greater Pumpkin are my all time favorites.

Longtrail Imperial Pumpkin is my sleeper hit this year. I can't believe I almost passed on that one. Greatest smelling pumpkin ale that I have ever had, and mighty tasty.

The roster for today's beer tasting:

Shipyard - Smashed Pumpkin
Shipyard - Pumpkin Head
Samuel Adams - Fat Jack Double Pumpkin
Samuel Adams - Harvest Pumpkin
Southern Tier - Pumpking
Rogue - First Growth Pumpkin Patch
Urban Chestnut - Count Orlok
Schlafly - Pumpkin Ale
Crown Valley - Imperial Pumpkin Smash
Charleville - Witch’s Brew’mmm
O’Fallon - Pumpkin Beer
New Holland - Ichabod Pumpkin Ale
Big Muddy - Pumpkin Smasher
Wild Onion - Pumpkin Ale
Blue Moon - Harvest Pumpkin
New Belgium - Pumpkick

Group consensus:

Pumpking and Count Orlok were best.

Smashed Pumpkin was the worst.

And Schlafly Pumpkin was not as good as previous years.

My new favorite pumpkin beer is Lakefront's Brandy BA Imperial Pumpkin Lager. Lakefront is usually disappointing, but this one is great.

Pumpking is usually my go-to. I loved the 2011 CCB Good Gourd, was underwhelmed with the 2012 batch and I'm not looking for it this year.

That sounds great! I am liking the BA treatment that pumpkin beers have been getting latel.

As an experiment, I tossed a bunch of pumpkin beers in the closet last year to see how they hold up for opening this season. I opened my first pumpkin of the year last night Good Gourd... It was very sweet and under carbed but spice held up. I have a few more (treat, ba oaked jack,) that I will be opening soon, and will leave my worthless response here.

Back