ITT: Runners and Endurance Athletes

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by JulianB, Oct 3, 2013.

1. JulianB

JulianB

Anyone primarily a runner, cyclist, power-hiker, or otherwise mainly concentrate on endurance-related activities? (unlike all the meatheads in the Bobybuilding thread - LYMI).

Right now I'm training for my first marathon which I'm running in January. I'm up to 15 miles but I know I can push further; I can pretty much run a half-marathon at this point with no problems. My half PR is something like 1hr 44mins, so I'm hoping to do the full in 4 hours flat or less.

I'm also interested in speed-hiking and have a big goal in mind for that, which is an 80 mile through-hike of the longest trail in South Carolina. One of my friends has talked about doing this for a while, and I think we can get it done in about 40 hours.

And as mentioned in the climbing thread, I'm big into mountaineering. My long-term goals there are considerably more lofty and are going to require a lot of time, money, and training to realize. Hopefully Denali in the summer of 2015 is the first big step.

2. bird22

bird22

Not a whole lot of action up in this thread, huh? Well, guess I will join in....

Pretty big into running. Took it up about 6.5 years ago when my buddy brought me to my first 5k. Was still a bit overweight back then and still a smoker. Think my time was close to 22 minutes. Started running 3 miles a day after that and it was all downhill from there. Weight dropped quickly and quit smoking 6 or so months later as I ran local 5k and 10k races and my times kept getting faster. Ran my first half in December in 1:26. It was then that it really set in that I potentially found a hidden talent.

My first marathon came in October of 2008 in Chicago. Trained pretty hard and had fairly high expectations, but sit was a fairly warm day and the heat got to me in the final 10k. Still finished in 2:48. Things have continued to progress since then and have gotten into a good amount in trail running since moving out to California in 2010. Set my half PR (1:10) while training for Boston in 2011, where I also set my current marathon PR (2:29). I haven't been as hard core into training since 2011, but still have gotten in a few good races here and there on less training (won my first marathon last summer and also set a 5k PR of 15:20).

Also have gotten into the ultra marathons as well -- a bunch of 50k races, handful of 50 milers, and have even run the Grand Canyon Rim-2-Rim-2-Rim a couple times. In fact, just ran a 50 mile trail race this past Saturday. Didn't have very high expectations going in, as my training was complete shit (longest run in two months leading up was 12 miles on roads), but it turned out to be my strongest 50 miler yet. Not even close to my fastest time, but also not my slowest, and the est thing is that I've never felt that good in the final 10-15 miles of a 50 mile race before. Not quite sure how I pulled that off, but I am certainly not complaining. Now my name can go back into the Western States 100 lottery for next year. Have stuck out the past two years and I really want that to be my first 100.

That pretty much sums it up for me. Still run quite a bit more than the average person, but just haven't been as hard core as I have in the past about training. Hoping this race from last Saturday ignites a spark to get back once I recover and get back out there. Would like to take a few more cracks at PRs at various distances befoer it gets too late.

3. doopiedoopiedoo

doopiedoopiedoo

Runner here.
    Just not as fast as bird22. 10 k in 43 minutes, half marathon in 1:38. I have started running traills this summer in the AZ desert. Did a 30k trail run through the dunes of Holland this Sunday. Hoping to do a 50k trail run somewhere next year and as a ultimate goal a 100k race.

Cool note: after my 30k trail run this weekend the post race recovery drink was Non Alcoholic Erdinger Weissbier. It tasted pretty good!

4. Jnorton00

Jnorton00

This whole running fad will go away sooner or later than I can stop feeling so lazy!

tacosandbeer and bird22 like this.
  5. drewfull

drewfull

Hey I was looking for a thread like this the other day! Apparently I don't even searchbro. Runner and one-time triathlete here. I'm no bird22 (damn dude, that's awesome), more of a 1:40 half marathon guy. Would love someday to get into the longer endurance stuff but have tended to stick with 6-13 mile races with one marathon under the belt in 2011 (juuuuuuust snuck under 4 hours!). The most enjoyable run I had this year was a 5 mile trail race through a forest south of Minneapolis with Summit Saga at the finish line. Course was well managed and there were only about 300 people doing it so most of the run was me out in the forest by myself.

Separately, did my first full triathlon in Des Moines this year, ended up just over 3 hours and very happy to have survived the swim. That convinced me to get a lot more biking in this summer, which led to my first century ride. It's amazing how far out of the city you can feel in 50 miles before turning around.

Endurance athletics - more fun than lifting any day! ...for me anyways...

6. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

Starting to get back into running. Craft beer and not exercising haven't left me in the best shape. Never the fastest cat around but I have completed two half marathons with my best time being 1:50 mins.

Trying to get back to 200lbs (230 now) and so running more and more. Simple 5 milers for now but will probably increase within a week or two.

7. oxcitypauze

oxcitypauze

WTF you guys are fast. I feel like I train my ass off and still can't run as fast as some folks do with minimal training. Damn my short legs.

Picked up running about 1.5 years ago, got hooked on races after my first 5k in July 2012. Trained for a half marathon this past June and clocked it at 1:47, which was way under what I was originally shooting for and set a bunch of PRs on that run. Ran it so well that I haven't PRed anything since haha! Not currently training for anything in particular right now, but I know at some point I will want to go for a full marathon hopefully next year. I've been hitting 15+ miles on my last few long runs but dropped mileage/runs this month due to scheduling and wanting to take a little break.

Nothing better than finishing a long run and rewarding yourself with a beer (or two) for lunch. If it wasn't for running, I'd probably weigh twice as much.

bird22, Beerontwowheels and JulianB like this.
  8. JulianB

JulianB

Pretty much what I was thinking reading some of the latest responses. And I thought my buddy who has a sub-3 hour marathon PR is fast...

Nice job guys, and good to see this thread start to get going! By the way I have a LIF going for my marathon, raising money for a local humane society:

http://TalkBeer.com/community/threads/marathon-for-mutts-lif.1669/

It's open for a while so there's no rush but it would be great to have people donate. And none of the cash goes to me, it's just an extra motivation to keep pushing and training.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  9. quirkzoo

quirkzoo

Love to run and bike. Try to do 3 miles at lunch once or twice a week and usually get in the occasional bike ride. Just did a 10k trail run by my house, lots of fun to get out on the trail but much tougher than my very flat lunch runs.

bird22 and doopiedoopiedoo like this.
  10. bramsdell

bramsdell

I used to be a very serious runner, have since become a more casual runner. I used to do 10k-26.2 as well as coach high school XC and track (and indoor, but that was it's own mess).

I started running about 7 years ago at 9:00/mi pace for 4-5 miles. The the bug bit me and I cranked up to marathon distance. Very into the long and sustainable pace.

Then I started coaching high school XC. Those little bastards don't give a shit if you can run 20 miles at a 7:15 pace. They only care about beating their coach's ass on the track or the trail that day. I cut my total weekly mileage down and ratcheted up the speed work. Hovered around the sub-5:00/mi, 17:15/5k (though I could have broken 17:00 on a good day), and sub-36:30 on my first and only 10k.

Then I got hurt. Well, I had been hurt, running on a severely damaged IT band. I've been recovering and trying to get back into for months now. It really sucks to have once considered an 8 mile run in under an hour a pretty casual jaunt and now struggle to go 4-5 miles at 7:30 pace.

mateoloco and bird22 like this.
  11. StarRaptor

StarRaptor

I am the "largest" active runner in history but lately I've been doing pretty good (lost 20 lbs and took my "average" level pace to 7 mph and 6.6 for "hills"

Previously, oxcitypauze and bird22 like this.
  12. StarRaptor

StarRaptor

I should mention I have 1 marathon, about 20+ half marathons and a dozen or so 10ks under belt.

Best half 2:10
    Best 10K 58
    Crazest 10K: Fairbanks Alaska
    Toughest Half Marathon: Disney Wine and Dine given the 10PM start time
    Coldest Half: Surf City 2008
    Most Scenic: Wine Country Half
    Memorable: San Francisco Half (ran across the Golden Gate Bridge with my pregnant (3 mos) wife

13. bird22

bird22

I run to eat and drink.

PurityControl88 and smonice like this.
  14. drewfull

drewfull

This all day. I've run casually for 10 years (more recently added cycling/swimming) and the feeling you get after finishing a good run is perfection. And the beautiful thing is that most people can get that feel at whatever their pace is.

15. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

This thread needs some new shoes...

I got a 5 miler in during my lunch break today. I'm running just about every other day (5-6 miles per run) and hoping to ramp up the mileage soon. Now that I'm back on the horse, I'm looking to sign up for a half marathon and beat my PR (1:50).

JulianB and drewfull like this.
  16. StarRaptor

StarRaptor

Getting ready to run the Dana Point Turkey Trot 10k on the morning of thanksgiving

I've had a lot of pain in my left calf that has thrown me off my training lately, hopefully it will hold together.

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  17. oxcitypauze

oxcitypauze

Wifey and some of my fam just did the Las Vegas Rock n Roll half. I ran with them and played the support role to help them PR. Fortunately a few of the team PRed -- I think the biggest gain was 8 minutes. Unfortunately for me, running at their pace really messed with my legs and I'm way more sore than usual even though I've gone on longer runs at a faster pace. Probably bad form or something.

Despite the size of the crowd at the LV RnR, it was run really well. The scenery was great too, since it was an evening run under the lights of the strip. I think we'll be making this race a yearly tradition.

18. Hot Dog Sandwich

Hot Dog Sandwich

Wow, bird ain't fing around! I am new to the ultramarathon world. Got burnt out training for half and fulls, and needed a chance of scenery and some softer dirt. Signed up and completed my first 50K last year.

Have the Quad Dipsea in two weeks. ~28 miles and almost 10,000' elevation, and a shit ton of stairs. Thankfully, Goose Island Black Friday is the day before and Thanksgiving two days before that!

bird22 I need to pick your brain about the Rim to Rim to Rim. It is on my to do list, besides a 50 miler next year.

mateoloco, jtmartino and JulianB like this.
  19. bird22

bird22

No problem. Shoot me a BM anytime and I will be glad to answer any questions.

Good luck at Quad Dipsea! I hate that fucking trail. Couldn't imagine having to run in 4 times.

mateoloco and Hot Dog Sandwich like this.
  20. doopiedoopiedoo

doopiedoopiedoo

How long is the Grand Canyon rim 2 rim 2 rim?
    I'll be in AZ this summer temps might be to high to do this huh?