ITT: Woodworking

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by OakedCanuck, Jan 29, 2014.

1. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck

Anybody else do any woodworking (I'm not talking about basic carpentry)? If so, show some of your projects!

Here is a folding step stool I just finished up for my mom using dark red mahogany (legs/stretchers/dowel) and black limba (steps). They refinished their kitchen and the new cabinets are too high for her.

Pics and details:

Homemade router jig (too stubborn/cheap to buy a router table) being used to cut the dado's for the first step in the front legs at 60 degrees:

[​IMG]

Lay out of rear legs and stretchers:

[​IMG]

Glue up of stretchers once the front and back legs were drilled & joined for the pivoting dowel:

[​IMG]

Third layer of Polyacrylic finish applied:

[​IMG]

Finished! Total of 6 applications of finish, I probably could have stopped at three (above) but wanted to get a deeper colour, and to increase durability (hence why I used Poly acrylic). Routed the top edges of the steps so they weren't sharp:

[​IMG]

I cut my own wood plugs to cover up the top step screw holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would love to see what some of you other creative bastards have done. I think my next plan is to build a wooden TB.com-branded lambic basket.

Thanks for looking guys!

blckout20, brystmar, Moondog and 28 others like this.
  2. blue_bleeder

blue_bleeder

Bravo!!!

OakedCanuck likes this.
  3. blue_bleeder

blue_bleeder

I built our 11 year old a doll house for her American Girl dolls this Christmas. The prices they charge are ridiculous and the doll houses are tiny. I think I have pictures. Will post.

4. Brady

Brady Moderator Staff Member

5. huckyourmeat

huckyourmeat

Thanks! I'll get some pictures up in the next couple of days. Took some with a real camera and need to get those uploaded.

Brady likes this.
  6. huckyourmeat

huckyourmeat

In the meantime, here is a rocking horse build that I documented. I built two and gave them as Christmas gifts!

http://imgur.com/a/Pm2FF

7. blue_bleeder

blue_bleeder

OakedCanuck took these with the phone so they won't be as good as yours. Shitty photographer is shitty.

This is what American Girl Doll sells. The doll can't even stand up in it. It's like $150 or something stupid.
    [​IMG]

Wife wanted a winter chalet to go with the winter stuff she was getting to go with the doll.

Was trying to get a rustic look. Instead of just putting up 3 boards for walls I ripped 2X4s and grooved the corner pieces to make the walls.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. huckyourmeat

huckyourmeat

I might already have one of those in the works as well :)

OakedCanuck likes this.
  9. blue_bleeder

blue_bleeder

That was all done with a router? And did you just come up with the template from scratch (hand drawn?)

10. huckyourmeat

huckyourmeat

I found the plans through the Lowe's website and printed those paper templates. I then spray-glued them on to the mdf, cut as accurately with a jigsaw as possible, then cleaned up with the rasp.

After that, I rough cut to within about 1/32" with the jigsaw, attached the mdf template, then hit the router table with a flush trim bit. When possible, I ALWAYS take the time to make a template for something. It makes it significantly easier to make an accurate reproduction later.

I understand OakedCanuck 's hesitance to get a router table. I'm the same way with a table saw, yet I use my router table for literally EVERY project I do.

hamburger and blue_bleeder like this.
  11. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck

Very nice work fellas! I love my table saw and can see the benefit of a router table. I love my router! I don't have a lot of tools but make due with the ones I have. I didn't use a plan or anything for that stool but in the future will be building a king size bed frame (wife has about 4 requests in the queue, lol) which I will definitely be tracking down a plan, I'm thinking probably doing an Arts & Crafts or Mission style. Again, great work guys.

12. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

hahahaha wood hehehehehehhehe

13. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck

Here is a stand up mirror I made for the wife a few months ago. Used meranti and finished with Tung oil. I routed a rabbet a 1/2" deep on the back to fit the mirror and backing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(MordorMongo I literally thought to myself that you would post something about boners/wood/edging etc before I started this thread. Thank you for coming through eh!)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    JM03, thomasaurus rex, FTowne and 8 others like this.
  14. blue_bleeder

blue_bleeder

This is so much more clear now. I thought you didn't use a jigsaw at all and I was all "DAMN!!!"

Just an awesome job! Both of you. Perfectionist is perfection!!!

huckyourmeat likes this.
  15. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

Serious talk, I have some tools but my woodworking experience pretty much is nada. I took woodshop. That said I like tools and have those so my wife has decided I need to craft things from wood. In general I am pretty handy (hahahaha, I know someone will take that bait), I can metal work like a mother fucker and shit like that. Anyway, first project is to build a trick double-decker indoor rabbit hutch for this fucking monster bunny my kid has, mainly as a warm-up/skill check before building built-ins my wife wants in the bedroom along an entire wall. I assume there will be much comedy, at least one trip to an emergency room and likely will hugely regret not just hiring some asshole to do all of this. I have no clue where to even fucking begin (plans I suppose), but as soon as we thaw out here in ole Indiana shit is going to get real. Once I get to that point I will post some pics for amusement, though I assume I will basically be doing what real woodworkers would call remedial hack-jobs.

Peace and love, peace and love.

16. screwyouguys

screwyouguys

this thread is awesome, excellent work to everyone

now i just have to wait and wait till i have an area to do some work working myself

blue_bleeder and OakedCanuck like this.
  17. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck

Metal work eh? I am looking for a fabricator to weld some trick ass metal legs for tables, chairs, etc for stuff I wanna build (i.e. I want to build a big ass, live edge kitchen table with some sleek, modern metal legs.)

18. huckyourmeat

huckyourmeat

Thanks!! The plans/instructions are at the link below, though I ignored/modified a lot because Lowe's is pretty dumb. For example, their template for the head brace piece was about 1/2" too skinny. I also did compound miters on all of the bracing, used 1" instead of 3/4" bracing, different methods of attachment, walnut handles, etc etc.

http://www.lowes.com/creative-ideas/woodworking-and-crafts/rockin-horse-project/project#noop

blue_bleeder likes this.
  19. blue_bleeder

blue_bleeder

I wish I did a better job of following plans. Most of the times I sketch something on paper and just start building. Usually requires modifications/adjustments. I built my bar that way. Took longer than it should of....:oops:

Kirkse and sliverx like this.
  20. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

All my metal stuff (welders, etc.) are at my dad's house because he is doing some fence/gate project....once I have everything back I will holler, I don't do any blacksmithing fancy level stuff like hotmetal, but I can cut, shape and weld like a beast.

jivex5k, hotmetal and OakedCanuck like this.