Jesse Friedman @ Almanac Beer Co.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanG1

Reaction score
Anyone have a contact?

Questions for AMA

Dig your beers, and what you guys have been recently releasing, especially dat Citrus!

Any future plans for a tasting room? Tell us more about your barrel aging process? Process for selecting farmers/growers to partner up with?

Hi Ryan!

Happy to answer some questions:

Dig your beers, and what you guys have been recently releasing, especially dat Citrus!

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how it came out too.

Any future plans for a tasting room?

We really hope so! Currently we are still pretty small, and have limited resources - so we've had to pick and choose what to focus on. This past year we've put everything we had into growing our barrel program. Currently I'd put the tasting room at the top of our list for next steps for the brewery, but nothing is in the works now. But if anyone knows of any amazing spaces in SF for lease, please send them my way ;)

Tell us more about your barrel aging process?

We do a mixed primary fermentation with our house bug collection. After about a week we move it into barrels, and add fruit the the barrels. Starting after about 6 months we'll start tasting individual barrels and building out blends to package. Often times we are moving around our releases based on what we're tasting. Some beers take longer to evolve, some faster - it's just a matter of tasting to build blends we really love.

Process for selecting farmers/growers to partner up with?

Start with farms I'm already buying from at the Ferry Building usually, and then pick up a conversation. Nearly every farmer we've talked to has been super stoked to work with us. Most of their fruit disappears into restaurants they'll never eat at. So we make a point to give farmer's cases of beer they helped us to create - it's one of my favorite parts of working with them. We also work to find a price that is genuinely sustainable for the farms too. The life of a farmer is incredibly difficult - especially this year with the ongoing drought - so we think of it as economic sustainability to help ensure the farm is there next year.

The more beer we make, the more farmers we meet. Family famers turn out to be a pretty small and close knit community who all know and help each other, since it's them versus the big guys. (Sound familiar?) Then it really just boils down to logistics - can they deliver in big amounts, can they help break down the fruit if it needs processing, etc.

- Jesse

PS - Shout out to Cellarmaker's Connor for pointing me over here to answer questions. If you're local, go drink all of his Bangarang IPA before it's gone. **** is delicious.

Hi Ryan!

We really hope so! Currently we are still pretty small, and have limited resources - so we've had to pick and choose what to focus on. This past year we've put everything we had into growing our barrel program. Currently I'd put the tasting room at the top of our list for next steps for the brewery, but nothing is in the works now. But if anyone knows of any amazing spaces in SF for lease, please send them my way ;)

We do a mixed primary fermentation with our house bug collection. After about a week we move it into barrels, and add fruit the the barrels. Starting after about 6 months we'll start tasting individual barrels and building out blends to package. Often times we are moving around our releases based on what we're tasting. Some beers take longer to evolve, some faster - it's just a matter of tasting to build blends we really love.

Start with farms I'm already buying from at the Ferry Building usually, and then pick up a conversation. Nearly every farmer we've talked to has been super stoked to work with us. Most of their fruit disappears into restaurants they'll never eat at. So we make a point to give farmer's cases of beer they helped us to create - it's one of my favorite parts of working with them. We also work to find a price that is genuinely sustainable for the farms too. The life of a farmer is incredibly difficult - especially this year with the ongoing drought - so we think of it as economic sustainability to help ensure the farm is there next year.

The more beer we make, the more farmers we meet. Family famers turn out to be a pretty small and close knit community who all know and help each other, since it's them versus the big guys. (Sound familiar?) Then it really just boils down to logistics - can they deliver in big amounts, can they help break down the fruit if it needs processing, etc.

- Jesse

PS - Shout out to Cellarmaker's Connor for pointing me over here to answer questions. If you're local, go drink all of his Bangarang IPA before it's gone. **** is delicious.
Hi Jesse, great to see you over here -- and for the shoutout to Bangarang, the best IPA I've had this year. I'm a big fan of what you and Damian have built.

What do you think barrels contribute to sours in particular that they wouldn't if just fermented with the same bugs and fruit in a different environment (stainless, for the sake of the argument)?

Hi Ryan!

- Jesse

Awesome beerandnosh , thank you taking time to answer questions and for the beers!

Hi Jesse, great to see you over here -- and for the shoutout to Bangarang, the best IPA I've had this year. I'm a big fan of what you and Damian have built.

What do you think barrels contribute to sours in particular that they wouldn't if just fermented with the same bugs and fruit in a different environment (stainless, for the sake of the argument)?

Wood offers a lot more than just oaky flavors (through we like those too). It create a good environment for the bugs - slowly allowing a small amount of oxygen in, which is necessary for flavor development. It's one of those perfect systems that the Belgian's have been doing for years and years, and I don't see any reason to mess with it. Stainless is easier to clean, which is something.

beerandnosh

are you guys set on having your future tasting room located in San Francisco, Have you thought about having in any other cities in the bay area?

I think the heart and soul of Almanac is in San Francisco - Damian and I both live here, and think the taproom should live here too. We're very committed to the San Francisco Community, and think a taproom would reflect that. (Yes, production takes place in San Jose which makes the 280 my second home.) Maybe we'll look to the peninsula and east bay for secondary tap room locations, but that's pretty far down the line.

perhaps being on the opposite coast I've missed it but have you or are you planning on releasing any 750ml bottles?

Besides the maybe collabo with cellermaker, Do you guys have any other collaborations you would like to do? if so which breweries?

perhaps being on the opposite coast I've missed it but have you or are you planning on releasing any 750ml bottles?

We started out doing some 750s, but moved into 375s for all of our barrel aged beers. We like it because it helps keep the overall shelf price down, and opens up good options for restaurants where 750s of beer are a tougher sell. We're trying to stay away from packaging any given beer in multiple formats - small brewery, limited resources, etc.

Requisite: your favorite beer you have done so far?

My answer is usual answer is whatever our newest one is. If pushed, I'd have to go with Dogpatch Sour. I always describe my role is to stay out of the way and let the yeast make the beer - my job is to just not **** it up. I did a really good job of not ****ing it up on that one.

Besides the maybe collabo with cellermaker, Do you guys have any other collaborations you would like to do? if so which breweries?

I have a huge brewer-man-crush on Collin at Henhouse. I can't get enough of his poultry themed beers. The problem with sour and barrel aged collaborations (which is what I really want to do) is that they take a looong time and extensive planning.

Without sounding (trying to sound) like a dick, perception of your beers in the community has drastically improved since the first year or so, when it was just the 4-pack offerings and the seasonal 750s. Did you have any sense about critical reception in the beginning? If so, how did you react? Cheers to your continued success and the regular availability of quality CA wilds!

Without sounding (trying to sound) like a dick, perception of your beers in the community has drastically improved since the first year or so, when it was just the 4-pack offerings and the seasonal 750s. Did you have any sense about critical reception in the beginning? If so, how did you react? Cheers to your continued success and the regular availability of quality CA wilds!

What a ****ing dick.

Well not really.

First I should say that I pretty much agree. We have gotten better at making beer. I've become a better brewmaster, my recipes have improved, and my processes are more detailed and specific than they were when we started. Neither Damian or I had any professional brewing experience when we started Almanac, and it takes a lot of false steps to figure out what works. Our failures (and successes) are very public, and we pick up the pieces and lessons and move forward. We also saw the reception our first barrel aged beers had, and doubled down on barrels and bugs.

We've discontinued the four-packs completely now and all of our fresh beers - Gose, IPA and a new about to be released Dy Hopped Saison come in 22oz bottles and draft that hit a better price point than the four packs ever could. I'm of course aware of the "non-sours from Almanac suck" perception of our earlier attempts (I have internet at the brewery), but first impressions are tough to shake. I'm incredibly proud think our fresh beer lineup right now and would encourage you (and anyone else reading this) to give them another shot.

My last note to critical feedback would to just be mindful that there are people on the other side. Of course not everyone is going to like everything. We're constantly trying new things here, creating brew processes and experimenting to create new flavors. If everything we make is a slam dunk with everyone, we're not trying hard enough. We're making a LOT of different beers - didn't like this one? No problem, try this! Here's another! For every person that HATES any single beer we've made, there is someone else who declares it the best thing they've ever tasted (looking at you Sourdough Wild Ale and Bourbon Sour Porter)

Once of my favorite things about craft beer is that it isn't a zero sum game: for us to succeed doesn't mean another brewery has to fail - in fact, we're probably both doing great. The same goes for the beer - the inclination to compare and rate beers and order them doesn't do anyone a service. We're specifically NOT trying to match any other breweries beers (Hi Vinnie!) and would only ask that our beers are judged on their own merits, as opposed to simply ranked against others. The craft community is so incredibly welcoming - I think it's possible to review with that same feeling of community throughout.

What a ****ing dick.

Well not really.

First I should say that I pretty much agree. We have gotten better at making beer. I've become a better brewmaster, my recipes have improved, and my processes are more detailed and specific than they were when we started. Neither Damian or I had any professional brewing experience when we started Almanac, and it takes a lot of false steps to figure out what works. Our failures (and successes) are very public, and we pick up the pieces and lessons and move forward. We also saw the reception our first barrel aged beers had, and doubled down on barrels and bugs.

We've discontinued the four-packs completely now and all of our fresh beers - Gose, IPA and a new about to be released Dy Hopped Saison come in 22oz bottles and draft that hit a better price point than the four packs ever could. I'm of course aware of the "non-sours from Almanac suck" perception of our earlier attempts (I have internet at the brewery), but first impressions are tough to shake. I'm incredibly proud think our fresh beer lineup right now and would encourage you (and anyone else reading this) to give them another shot.

My last note to critical feedback would to just be mindful that there are people on the other side. Of course not everyone is going to like everything. We're constantly trying new things here, creating brew processes and experimenting to create new flavors. If everything we make is a slam dunk with everyone, we're not trying hard enough. We're making a LOT of different beers - didn't like this one? No problem, try this! Here's another! For every person that HATES any single beer we've made, there is someone else who declares it the best thing they've ever tasted (looking at you Sourdough Wild Ale and Bourbon Sour Porter)

Once of my favorite things about craft beer is that it isn't a zero sum game: for us to succeed doesn't mean another brewery has to fail - in fact, we're probably both doing great. The same goes for the beer - the inclination to compare and rate beers and order them doesn't do anyone a service. We're specifically NOT trying to match any other breweries beers (Hi Vinnie!) and would only ask that our beers are judged on their own merits, as opposed to simply ranked against others. The craft community is so incredibly welcoming - I think it's possible to review with that same feeling of community throughout.

So that pretty much sums it up! What a ****ing answer.

Last question and I'll leave you alone: Favorite Jewish deli?

beerandnosh

First off, thanks for doing this Jesse! You and Damian make some incredible beers, and are no doubt responsible for getting countless numbers of my friends into wilds/sours, and just interested in craft beer in general. In fact, last night I opened a BB Peche and Valley of the Heart's Delight for my two roommates who had never had a sour beer/wild ale before, and they told me "I don't want any more of this, because I don't think I will ever want to go back and drink 'regular' beer again!" So kudos to you guys for killing it and making such amazing beer so easily accessible (in CA, at least).

My question.....do you have plans to brew or experiment with any 100% spontaneous batches in the near future? Or would that be something that would require you to have your own facility?

Thanks!

Last edited:
beerandnosh Farmer's Reserve Durian. Yes or Hell No?

And are there any local fruits you guys have been wanting to work with?

I'd try it if I could get it grown in California.

As for any fruit I want to work with: I'm very interested in noyaux, which is the bitter almond pit inside of stone fruit. Cascade has done some great stuff with them, but there are some big health issues (they contain Cyanide) and logistical challenges (very very labor intensive to get at)

I need to make these answers shorter.

beerandnosh

First off, thanks for doing this Jesse! You and Damian make some incredible beers, and are no doubt responsible for getting countless numbers of my friends into wilds/sours, and just interested in craft beer in general. In fact, last night I opened a BB Peche and Valley of the Heart's Delight for my two roommates who had never had a sour beer/wild ale before, and they told me "I don't want any more of this, because I don't think I will ever want to go back and drink 'regular' beer again!" So kudos to you guys for killing it and making such amazing beer so easily accessible (in CA, at least).

My question.....do you have plans to brew or experiment with any 100% spontaneous batches in the near future? Or would that be something that would require you to have your own facility?

Thanks!

I'm VERY interested in spontaneous fermentation, and true (or as close to true as you can get outside of Pattonland) Lambic production. We just haven't gotten there yet, but you can be sure I'm paying very close attention to Russian River

Thanks for the the kind words.

If anyone has questions for Damian (about design, the business of the brewery, or beery) I'll kick them over to him for answers!

I'm VERY interested in spontaneous fermentation, and true (or as close to true as you can get outside of Pattonland) Lambic production. We just haven't gotten there yet, but you can be sure I'm paying very close attention to Russian River

Thanks for the the kind words.

If anyone has questions for Damian (about design, the business of the brewery, or beery) I'll kick them over to him for answers!
Great, looking forward to hopefully seeing some experimentation with that in the future.

Oooh also,I saw on your blog that u made a trip to Belgium recently....What was it like going to visit Cantillon, 3F, etc. as a brewmaster who specializes styles that they have heavily influenced? Was the trip mostly business oriented, or did you just pop by those breweries to enjoy yourselves? Had Jean or Armand heard or tried any of your beers, and if so, did they give you any feedback/comments? Or is that totally not a thing/a faux pas?

Last edited:
20140723_223308_zps0pmft1wd.jpg

I'm drinking this right now and its like kind of a drain pour so can you like refund me my money and send me another one? ; )

Great, looking forward to hopefully seeing some experimentation with that in the future.

Oooh also,I saw on your blog that u made a trip to Belgium recently....What was it like going to visit Cantillon, 3F, etc. as a brewmaster who specializes styles that they have heavily influenced? Was the trip mostly business oriented, or did you just pop by those breweries to enjoy yourselves? Had Jean or Armand heard or tried any of your beers, and if so, did they give you any feedback/comments? Or is that totally not a thing/a faux pas?

I've been to Belgium twice - once on my honeymoon, and again for tour de geuze last year.

Pics:

3F: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jwfriedman/sets/72157624738890988/

La Chouffe: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jwfriedman/sets/72157624738909680/

Orval: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jwfriedman/sets/72157624738913146/

Cantillon: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jwfriedman/sets/72157624614504043/

and then my more recent trip:

3F, Boon, De Ranke, Westy, Rodenbach, (side trip to amsterdam) Cantillon.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jwfriedman/sets/72157634054503921/

For the second trip, i was picked up at the airport by Pete (wicked) Slosberg, and taken straight to 3F to help label Armand 4 bottles. With gluesticks. So if you have one and your label fell off... sorry.

Belgium is spectaular: the classics are amazing, and there are endless number of great local brews you've never heard of. As a rule, most things are hopper than you expect.

I gave Armand a bottle of my beer, but asked him not to open it until I left. (I'm fairly certain he would hate it.) Rodenbach's unblended foderbier is the best beer in the world - and they don't sell it.

I shared a bottle of fresh denoggenizer that i brought rover with Armand too - he said the same thing all Belgians do: "This is undrinkably hoppy. Can I please have some more?"

I also attended the zythos fest, which is the closest thing belgium has to gabf. I'm in awe of Belgian brewers and the classics, but I immediately missed American beers over there too. There just isn't the breadth, the experimentation, or the delicious IPAs that we've come to expect as normal for American craft. In fact, there is just a nascent craft movement growing over there. And I'm very very excited to see what the Belgian who are paying attention to American beer are going to do next.

We've discontinued the four-packs completely now and all of our fresh beers - Gose, IPA and a new about to be released Dy Hopped Saison come in 22oz bottles and draft that hit a better price point than the four packs ever could. I'm of course aware of the "non-sours from Almanac suck" perception of our earlier attempts (I have internet at the brewery), but first impressions are tough to shake. I'm incredibly proud think our fresh beer lineup right now and would encourage you (and anyone else reading this) to give them another shot..
So the three or four that were in four packs are no longer being brewed?
buzzword might want you to get me some soon to be .rar Almanac

Your Belgium pictures are great and took me back there quickly. What camera did you use?

I had a bottle of Golden Gate Gose with TheOrtiz01 and I thought it was perhaps not oaky, but woody.
Not to bastardize, but a half-horrible analogy would be AVBC's KYH Gose aged on wood chips. Was this something you noticed? If so, was it intentional?

Back