US - Southwest Jester King Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by shelf_turd_ferguson, Feb 20, 2014.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. jeffstuffingsjk

jeffstuffingsjk

We're not anti-football/athletic/holiday. We're anti-TVs at taprooms.

2. Persdawg

Persdawg

^^^I can understand that, and you guys aren't quite traditional either.

...does Fonta still do the boobs tubes :confused:?

3. jeffstuffingsjk

jeffstuffingsjk

I figured I'd post this here since it's educational, free, and a pretty cool thing in my opinion. Sorry if this is against the forum rules.

Beer writer and historian Ron Pattinson will be lecturing at Jester King on Thursday, March 28th from 6-7pm. He'll be speaking on historic and modern day German sour beer styles. If you've not seen Ron speak before, he's really great. Also, his material at Shut Up About Barclay Perkins is pretty outstanding, if you haven't checked that out.

4. Turfy

Turfy

5. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

Hey folks.... JK has been on my short list of must see breweries and hoping to get that tick sometime this summer, possibly June. How would one best tackle this in a day while flying in?
    Fly in, rent car, stay close to brewery, drive out and fly out next day?
    Local places to stay?

Or is it best to stay in city (and do other things/beer)? If so, best way to get to and from brewery while solo? I'm sure I'll be advised to drink other stuff and I'll try... but dat tick.... ;)

Cheers!

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  6. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

both are on the southside so that helps. there isn't a lot in the immediate JK area so you may have issue finding lodging close to JK. Id just find a place on the south side of the city in between JK and the airport. You will want to rent a car either way.

drinkypoo likes this.
  7. Steve

Steve

Yeah, ultimately your call here. You can get Uber to and from JK nowadays, but it’ll be roughly $50-$60 total between there and back.

There’s some great stuff by JK nowadays too. Argus (meh), revolution spirits (fabulous gin, amaro, and liqueurs for cocktails made on site), and last stand brewing are like 5 min down the street. Might be worth an Uber if you do all 4 and get nice and toasty.

Also pieous. Amazing pastrami but out of the way a bit without having a rental.

8. jbeezification

jbeezification

Austin is not a big city but the traffic is awful. I’d say catch an AM flight in, tick a good BBQ place or taco place and then hit JK. Leave some time for Live Oak which is next to the airport and then fly away.

Jester King is only open Thursday - Sunday. In my experience Friday evenings are the least busy but that’s also when Austin traffic is the worst.

rrrjjj and drinkypoo like this.
  9. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

Lots of great ideas. Thanks folks.
    I’ll keep you posted and maybe some local(s) may be up for a pour.
    Cheers!

Der Fuchs, jeffstuffingsjk and Steve like this.
  10. shelf_turd_ferguson

shelf_turd_ferguson

The airport (and Live Oak nearby) are Southeast Austin. Jester King is Southwest of Austin. There's a pretty straight shot to get between them on highway 71/290. JK is now open Thursday, but IDK if they do to go sales.
    I'd recommend going on a Saturday so you can visit the places Steve recommended too (or other places in Austin proper like Pinthouse Pizza and St Elmo). Revolution makes great gin and liquers, sometimes they have ones aged in JK barrels, but can't do To Go sales on Sunday. Revolution, Last Stand, Argus are in the same little warehouse area 1 mile from JK.

Tipping T is an inn literally next to JK: http://tippingt.com/
    Great option if you just want a day at JK and nearby and then fly out the next day. If you want to experience more of Austin, you may be better served by a hotel on the South/southwest side.

Rideshare is likely $25-35 (that's US not CAD) each way, but I'm not sure how easy it is to grab one from out there back to Austin. A rental car is easier, but you have to be safe with that when touring breweries of course. There are several cool Austin people on TB, one of them may be willing to drive you out there, or meet you for drinks and pick you up (saving a rideshare one way ain't bad). I could possibly (after June 21) pick you, but not get you out there on Saturday early enough to check out the four spots-- It'd be nice to put a face to our couple box swaps, pm me.

It's also mandatory to get Tacos or BBQ or both. That's a whole other conversation. But you can get some great stuff without going north of the river (downtown is just north of the river). I just got Valentinas BBQ tonight :D
    The airport has a few places if you screw up and need to tick food on your departure, as well as Live Oak six packs past security for an eye popping $21 (normally $9).

Der Fuchs, Phin and drinkypoo like this.
  11. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

Thanks!
    I'm likely flying in on a weekday, probably Thursday. I rarely give up weekends for beer travel unless I'm in Europe. Being home with the kids takes priority. Sorry, liver!
    Guessing it will be early flight in Thursday, rent car head for BBQ and JK for a couple small pours, enjoy the grounds, then head back into the city somewhere to tie it on a bit before an early flight home. Direct flights to Detroit is fantastic.

Der Fuchs likes this.
  12. austinbridges

austinbridges

Modern Dansk sounds so so good. Wish I could make it down for that one.

rrrjjj, jeffstuffingsjk and Der Fuchs like this.
  13. jeffstuffingsjk

jeffstuffingsjk

This one came out really good.

ChaQuiseman, Der Fuchs, air and 4 others like this.
  14. TomHouTX

TomHouTX

Any Fen Tao bottles remaining for weekend of August 9? I plan to be in Austin Saturday evening.

*Edit* The to-go menu for the weekend is posted and indicates Fen Tao is still available. I just hope there is some around Saturday evening.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    jeffstuffingsjk likes this.
  15. ExcuzM3

ExcuzM3

There was plenty of Fen Tao last night, per my buddy who was there. They sold out of Aurelian Lure, but still have the Spon's, Fen Tao and Mont v Balaton. In terms of the "special" stuff.

Der Fuchs, TomHouTX and smithj2154 like this.
  16. TomHouTX

TomHouTX

Got my Fen Tao bottles, and some Atrial on draft as a bonus! Nocturn is coming soon...

17. TomHouTX

TomHouTX

Dang, only 1,090 bottles of Nocturn this year. It won’t be around long enough for me to get back to Austin and get some.