LA 1-12-15 through 1-17-15

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindtrip2012

Reaction score
Hi California friends, visiting LA the above dates. Staying downtown. What are my best beer bets (store, bar, etc) downtown? Or best bets easily accessible via public transport or Uber/taxi/whatever? I'll have all day free as I'm tagging along with my wife, she'll be stuck in a conference. Also looking for my first TB tick.....

Cheers,

Jon

I live in Santa Monica and rarely make it downtown, but if you make it out my way, I may be able to meet you for a beer. I am walking distance from Library Alehouse.

As far as downtown goes, I'm not that well-versed - angry_lobster, queens1130 and wuntrikpony (among others) should be able to point you in the right direction. I can tell you that you are a reasonably short Uber from Highland Park Brewery, which I highly recommend (as well as the donut shop a few doors down). I understand that lots of other stuff has opened in downtown in the past few months.

Last edited:
I live in Santa Monica and rarely make it downtown, but if you make it out my way, I may be able to meet you for a beer. I am walking distance from Library Alehouse.

As far as downtown goes, I'm not that well-versed angry_lobster, queens1130 and wuntrikpony (among others) should be able to point you in the right direction. I can tell you that you are a reasonably short Uber from Highland Park Brewery, which I highly recommend (as well as the donut shop a few doors down). I understand that lots of other stuff has opened in downtown in the past few months.

What ever you do, make sure you hit Highland Park Brewery.

Thanks dudes! Highland Park is actually the only brewery I have mapped out and absolutely plan on going. Donut shop is a bonus!

Anyway, what you doing with your own thread- get your arse into the LA thread and ask in there.

Do yourself a favor and buy some Highland Park Brewery Occupied Space and 7 to 5 this Friday, when they go on sale on Eventbrite. Pickups start Friday, 1/15....

Sorry to all of the locals who will now have a slightly more difficult time buying bottles when they go on sale. Just trying to be hospitable.

Anyway, what you doing with your own thread- get your arse into the LA thread and ask in there.

giphy.gif

As far as downtown goes, I'm not that well-versed - angry_lobster, queens1130 and wuntrikpony (among others) should be able to point you in the right direction. I can tell you that you are a reasonably short Uber from Highland Park Brewery, which I highly recommend (as well as the donut shop a few doors down). I understand that lots of other stuff has opened in downtown in the past few months.
I wonder how often we've crossed paths at Library without knowing...

As to OP: Lots of hype lately about stuff opening in the Arts District downtown. I haven't been, so can't really recommend anything specific, other than: things are happening, and they aren't bad.

Mindtrip2012

Downtown isn't the greatest beer part of LA, but a decent jump off point. Downtown beer spots worth hitting are Far Bar(my favorite beer bar downtown), Arts District Brewing(okay beers, but an awesome space), and Ramirez Beverage Center(best bottle shop downtown). I would avoid Mumford(**** beer), Angel City(**** beer), and City Tavern(**** prices).

Uberable/Lyftable from there would be the Echo Park area which is walkable when you get there. Echo Park has Sunset Beer(cool bottle shop with taps), Mohawk Bend(good tap selection) and lots of great places to eat.

Of course if you're coming up towards my neck of the woods, I'd recommend Glendale Tap(great taplist dive bar) and Highland Park of course. Like cquiroga mentioned, there is a bottle sale right now and I can confirm that Occupied Space is tasty as **** out the bottle. 7 to 5 pale ale has been awesome on draft as well. I'm there pretty much every Wednesday but let me know if you coming so tips can be touched.

There is plenty more stuff, but that should get ya started. Food choices are generally much more difficult than beer choices in LA.

Back