US - Pacific LA/OC area thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by SoCalBeerIdiot, Jul 20, 2014.

1. chemman14

chemman14

So my buddy happened to be in the Torrance area for work and decided to drive by Monkish to check it out. He said there's already over 100 people in line. Mind you they haven't announced anything yet. Are these just idiots or do they have some sort of inside info?

PurityControl88 and BigFrank like this.
  2. chemman14

chemman14

I guess they had inside info. Interesting haha.

3. BigFrank

BigFrank

[​IMG]

blackgnome and chemman14 like this.
  4. chemman14

chemman14

I could only wish. He sent me a picture of the line and its literally 90% haze vatos lol.

PurityControl88 and BigFrank like this.
  5. swivelhips

swivelhips

this artifex feeling colors can is fantastic.

[​IMG]

StarRaptor, DCLA, rcubed and 2 others like this.
  6. rcubed

rcubed

Underrated brewery among the beer geeks.

7. More Betterness

More Betterness

I’ve been to their brewery quite a few times and have always been very unimpressed? May have just been unlucky?

8. rcubed

rcubed

Possibly. Or you're not into what they offer. I haven't been years but the times I went I enjoyed what I had. A few years ago they made my favorite wet hop beer of the season.

arren likes this.
  9. swivelhips

swivelhips

Anyone try a HPB feed the cats recently? Curious what it is like right now.

10. EliotRosewater

EliotRosewater

Had one the other night. Not quite as hoppy but still delicious.

11. chemman14

chemman14

Fuck yes black kisses B2!!!

|| BLACK KISSES (Batch 2) || Black Kisses is a tart saison fermented and aged in one of our French oak foudres with our house mixed culture of wild yeast and souring bacteria for 3 months, and then aged for an additonal 2 more months with BLACKberries and BLACK currants. Bottled conditioned for 3 months. This deep magenta-colored beer is tart, earthy, and -- of course -- jammy with floral, herbal, and tannic berry goodness. 7.7% ABV (750ml corked & caged champagne-style bottles). 700 bottles. Limit 2 bottles per person.

PURCHASING DETAILS:

Black Kisses = $20 + Eventbrite fee per 750ml bottle (sales tax & CRV included), 2 bottles limit per person.

This PRE-Presale starts now and will end Thursday 2/8 at 10am. The general public presale will then start Thursday 2/8 at 12pm. So buy BEFORE THURSDAY 2/8 at 10am, or your only opportunity to purchase will be in the general presale.

PICKUP DETAILS:

Purchased bottles will be available at Monkish's Tasting Room starting this Saturday, February 10th, at 12pm. Purchased bottles must be picked up within 4 weeks by Sunday, March 11th at 8pm. In order to pick up your bottles, you will need to show your valid photo ID and Eventbrite ticket; it must be your ID and the name must match that listed on the ticket. Duplicate orders will not be accepted. We reserve the right to cancel and refund any order we deem in violation of this policy.

*** Bottles not picked up by Sunday, March 11th at 8pm will be considered forfeited to the brewery.

*** Please note that we will not issue refunds, exchanges, or returns. All sales are final.

PLEASE plan accordingly to the schedule above to pick up your bottles because we need to move beer around by the set dates above.

12. FBIinformant

FBIinformant

shits gonna get crazy with that black kisses. opened up a bottle this past weekend and was still tasting amazing.

angry_lobster likes this.
  13. swivelhips

swivelhips

have the recent monkish beers swung back towards being less aggressively sour?

14. chemman14

chemman14

Monkish beers are aggressively sour? Maybe being a TRB member jaded me but I don't think I have ever had an aggressively sour monkish beer.

15. walterfredo

walterfredo

Any good tap rooms between laguna hills and fountain valley? Trying not to veer to far off the route due to traffic.

16. BigFrank

BigFrank

Barley Forge i/Gunwhale ales is in Costa Mesa

17. walterfredo

walterfredo

Thanks. Ended having time to kill so ventured to riip.

BigFrank likes this.
  18. wolf13

wolf13

If you’re sticking as close to the 405 as possible, then:

Heroes & Legends Bar & Grill - 22741 Lambert St, Lake Forest, CA 92630

BT's Southern BBQ, 7144 Edinger Ave, Huntington Beach, CA 92647

First Class Pizza, 6420 Irvine Blvd, Irvine, CA 92620 (not a tap room, but good tap list with food)

Bru Grill & Market, 23730 El Toro Rd, Lake Forest, CA 92630

If you’re going to the coast since you put Riip, then head to:

The American Dream, 21058 Pacific Coast Hwy #130, Huntington Beach, CA 92648

19. chemman14

chemman14

Anyone have thoughts on the Monkish party? Ticket is pretty steep but if all those breweries bring some of their best beer I think its worth it. Just worried about overcrowding.

20. richardskrip

richardskrip

It is more expensive than FWBIF, and I can't imagine it will be better organized and run, so I passed on it.