US - Pacific LA/OC area thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by SoCalBeerIdiot, Jul 20, 2014.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. jodan

jodan

Has anyone tried the Highland Park bottles that are being released tomorrow? Thinking I should buy a couple of the peach/nectarine one, haven't had much from them yet.

jmgrub likes this.
  2. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony

Lazy Susan is damn good. There might still be some bottles left. The party was a blast.

jodan and angry_lobster like this.
  3. jodan

jodan

I took a gamble and stopped by to try, and get bottles too. Lazy Susan is legit for sure. The brett one not so much. I had no idea what was going on with all the bagged up beers, wish I'd known about that ahead of time, looked like fun.

4. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony

That was the blind bottle share put on by Chris who runs Woodshop. It was a pretty fun share since the reveal at the end is cool surprise.

jmgrub likes this.
  5. jodan

jodan

I was there near the end apparently, asked a guy taking notes at the bar wtf was going on and got the lowdown. I'd only had 1 or 2 HLP beers previously, I'll be back for damn sure, good stuff.

wuntrikpony likes this.
  6. Xul

Xul

Cross-posted from BA since I don't know who visits which site anymore:

Going to be visiting my Grandpa in Playa del Rey for Christmas and aside from my usual spots that I hit while I'm up there, I've got a few questions:

1) Out of the Torrance cluster - Strand, Monkish, Smog City, Absolution, and The Dudes - are there any that are worth passing on and/or any that I can't miss? Mostly asking so I can plan when I go based on their various hours and how it fits into my free time.
    2) Any special events going on the 21st - 24th? I seem to recall that Library Alehouse usually has a lot of winter seasonals around the holidays but I'm not seeing anything about it on their FB or website.
    3) Unrelated to beer, but are there any good coffee roasters - or even just cafes - in the Playa del Rey/Marina del Rey/Westchester/El Segundo area? There are a few in Venice and Santa Monica and further towards downtown LA but it seems like the area I'm looking is a dead zone for third wave coffee.

7. BeerHatesRob

BeerHatesRob

I'd recommend stopping into Three Weavers. They're in Inglewood, but a real quick stop off the 405. Everything I've had from them has been really solid. Nothing out of this world, but all around good beers. And of course, if you have never been, then stopping at El Segundo Brewing is worth the trip. Their IPAs are all in the great category for me and their stout offerings are starting to improve.

I haven't heard of anything that far off yet. There are a couple events just prior to that I'm aware of (Naja's has a BCBS night --- with a keg of Vanilla already in stock to go on the 18th). City Tavern in Culver City has a Golden Road night on the 23rd...but that's not much to get excited about (even though I'll probably go). Maybe a trip to Beachwood Seal Beach would be worth your time for their 8th anniversary party (it ends the 21st). But that's all I can think of in that time frame.

The best one I can think of is Two Guns Espresso in Manhattan Beach. Awesome (but expensive) coffee and I believe they sell their own beans, although I don't think they roast on site.

If you DO find yourself in the more Culver City / Mar Vista area, hit me up. I'd be down for meeting for a beer somewhere local.

jmgrub likes this.
  8. jmgrub

jmgrub real Gs move in silence like lasagna Contributor

Was down in San Clemente a few days ago eating/drinking at Pizza Port and happened upon Artifex Brewing. Really enjoyed some of the offerings. What's the story on these guys?

Inb4 let me google that for you

MrVonzipper and angry_lobster like this.
  9. golden

golden

I am related to The Good Beer Company, but I still think they make great beer and are are going to have an awesome New Year's Eve party. You should bring all your friends to Happy New Beers, starting at 5pm. They will have at least one rotating tap and will be pouring their first sour around 8pm.

GregorySingh likes this.
  10. MrVonzipper

MrVonzipper

Anyone know what's up with Hoparazzi?? Website still says slated to open late 2014. Have they opened yet?? I need moar of dat inside me!

(Edit) just found they haven't. Anyone have inside info on the deets?

11. ficklenicholas

ficklenicholas

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  12. jmgrub

jmgrub real Gs move in silence like lasagna Contributor

When winning means driving to Kernville for a couple bottles of time-sensitive beer, every loser is a winner.

DCLA, arren, angry_lobster and 4 others like this.
  13. angry_lobster

angry_lobster

I've made the drive three times now, please let me lose this one.

jmgrub likes this.
  14. MrVonzipper

MrVonzipper

Oh boo hoo. I've yet to win one fucking lottery and the last time I was able to buy it was when they still did growlers in early 2012.

ficklenicholas likes this.
  15. angry_lobster

angry_lobster

If I win, you can buy half my lot if you drive me there. The drive is such a pain in the ass and I've only been able to go by getting others to drive. Even then, it's still bad. It's basically like going to San Diego but instead of Alpine, Council, Toolbox, etc, there's only 1 brewery and some terribly made roads.

SourBrewer, jmgrub and MrVonzipper like this.
  16. arren

arren

Except Kernville is a pretty fucking beautiful place, and it's a good weekend trip back to nature. I would gladly make the trip to Kernville again and again, just for the close vicinity to Sequoia.

Also, MrVonzipper, if I win I'll give you two or three bottles at cost. Winning the lottery is just a thinly-veiled excuse for me and the family to go on a mini-vacation.

17. MrVonzipper

MrVonzipper

Do I have to wear pants on the car ride?

ficklenicholas likes this.
  18. MrVonzipper

MrVonzipper

Sounds like a deal. I heart you!

arren likes this.
  19. angry_lobster

angry_lobster

No pants required!

If we both win, have BPT ticket, will travel.

MrVonzipper and arren like this.
  20. walterfredo

walterfredo

Can anyone recommend good beer spots (preferably with good food options) on the drive between The Bruery and LAX? Have limited time and don't want to go to far off the driving route. Thanks in advance.