La Sirene

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LukeAleTime

Reaction score
Posted this on the ausbeer sub-reddit but thought I may as well put it up here:

Went along to the taphouse Alestars last night and heard Costa talking all things La Sirene. It was really interesting, but the two biggest points to takeaway were:

• They've tipped more beer out than they have sold.
  • They have the Australia's largest barrel/sour program in the works with a dedicated warehouse for it.
Point one is excellent to hear, as there are a lot of questionable beers coming out in Australia at the moment - with more than one brewery putting out things they know to be flawed (one I know even launched with a beer that they knew wasn't right).

With so many people trying good beer for the first time - and spending a lot of money doing so - I think it's in the industry's best interest that the beers are tasting right.

Point two is just plain exciting.

Also, their Saison is on point right now.

I hated the Florette (wit, made with orange juice). It smelled like my Dad's aftershave; so maybe I had a memory association that made it weird for me.

I don't like praline also. It's too overpowering. Just can't escape it - however I know people love it and most will be excited to hear about imperial versions and barrel aged versions coming in the future. That just leaves more saison and wild saison for me so I'm happy.

Super Saison was also launched last night. I didn't love it but it's hard to judge such a beer on a small glass. I'll definitely grab bottles.

All up, I'm pretty excited for what they are doing and between their Saison, Fleur Folie, and Wild Saison, I think they are my favourite Aussie brewery at the moment.

I've got high hopes La Sirene will be doing great things in a couple of years. I'm actually going to the Alestars in Sydney tonight despite detesting most aspects of the Alestars clique.

Speaking of biggest barrel program, sounds like Homestead brewing in WA might lay claim to that title based on their theoretically infinite supply of wine barrels. Also looking promising.

It was only my second time there. The first time during the trivia we got accused of cheating by the team over (playfully, but you could tell they meant it). Imagine us outsiders knowing more answers than the Ale Stars.

There was also a group of "ale stars" who chatted to each other the whole night. Costa was really interesting to listen to but this group just ignored the whole thing. I have no idea why they even went along but it drove me nuts.

So yeah; I know what you mean.

It sounds like they have some pretty big plans. Based on the recent batches of Saison and Wild Saison, I also have high hopes. I reckon they are funkier/yeastier than the first few batches and that is a great thing.

Very ambitious project. Have not liked one la sirens beer yet. I still think given time Watkins new venture in Canberra will provide better beers.

Very ambitious project. Have not liked one la sirens beer yet. I still think given time Watkins new venture in Canberra will provide better beers.

When was the last time you tried them? They are much improved from the first couple of batches - the Wild in particular is really what I want from that sort of beer.

Yeah the latest batch I tried had a lot more brett. The regular saison is more yeastie too.

Super carbed pouring from the bottle still though - but I don't really care about that. A bit of patience cures all.

Weren't they breaking on shelves? I'm not sure it ever made it down here so the whole thing debacle was lost on us.

Yeah, they exploded on shelves. Have a friend who was home when the bottle exploded. Not a good sound at all. Beer was pretty tasty but way overcarbonated. More fun and games from Murray and Shawn.

Had Fleur Folie with Treatise the other night.

2lhxog8.jpg

We needed a little patience

Needs more carb.

I had their kriek the other day. It was good, but not spectacular. A bit too much of a juicy fruit/tropical fruit flavour which I remember getting from their Summer Sour a year or so back.

I quite liked the kriek, although I wouldn't take it over Oud Beersel.
And I love pear flavour in saisons, so Super Saison gets a big tick from me.

I still think given time Watkins new venture in Canberra will provide better beers.
Hopefully, his beetroot berliner was one of my favourite Aussie beers.

They are aging some more of that batch of kriek - I reckon there is potential for a great beer, it's just not for me yet.

Back