Lambic style ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker Hater

Reaction score
How's it going folks, quick question(s) here.

When it came time to bottle/ transfer on to fruit my "Lambic" ( after aging for 14 months)
I tasted it, and it was very sour. I thought to myself "nice one"
I kept some back to drink flat.
As I was drinking it the sourness of it became extreme to the point I couldn't finish the pint.
I Racked the Lambic over Blueberries and Cherries

My questions are

1) Will time and Carbination mellow the sourness, and make it more drinkable?

2) Will the fruit sugars mellow the sourness?

Any input, ideas are welcomed

With time some of the acidity will round out and taste softer. Oxidation in the bottle will also create sweet flavors that reduce the impression of acidity. Some of the acids will continue to esterify as well. But do not expect a huge reduction in sourness.

Carbonation will not lessen the impression of carbonation. If anything, carbonation will make the acidity more noticeable.

Fruit will add more sugar to ferment, both into alcohol and other sugars. Depending on what organisms are alive right now will influence what happens. In my experience, I've never had fruit additions make a beer less sour but I have had fruit make a beer more sour. Keep in mind that fruit contains acid that contributes to the acidity in the beer. Fruit flavors can mask the impression of acidity but does not reduce actual acidity.

I would add the addition fruit is another source of sugar so that will kick up your lactic acid fermentation again and will add to the overall sourness. The fruit itself will have a mixtures of acids (citric, malic, etc), but these are softer to the palate than lactic. If things are too sour I would blend back in some clean beer. Just means you'll have more sour beer to go around. Winnning!

I would add the addition fruit is another source of sugar so that will kick up your lactic acid fermentation again and will add to the overall sourness. The fruit itself will have a mixtures of acids (citric, malic, etc), but these are softer to the palate than lactic. If things are too sour I would blend back in some clean beer. Just means you'll have more sour beer to go around. Winnning!
I don't brew, but I love reading about it. If I had a really sour batch to work with my first reactoin would be "**** Yeah!" Even though the OP said Lambic style, what he describes is a big reason the gueze methodology was developed. Every batch brewed in the traditional houses has different characteristics: abv, acidity, etc. Without knowing your overall volume of homebrew, sounds like you've got an awesome starting point to blend with other brews.

How are you storing this batch?
Did you add fruit to all of it?

I fruited 2 gallons- 1 Cherries, 1 Blueberries

Bottled the rest 3 days ago, so don't have any for blending unfortunately for me....

Back