Let's Remember Some Beers (In Memoriam: Old Whales)

Discussion in 'General Beer Topics' started by yeahnatenelson, May 16, 2018.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. matedog

matedog

Apparently Akureyri is the fifth largest city in Iceland. I swear it felt like the second.

Here was the bar: https://r5.is/

2. JCastle

JCastle

Bartender at Mikkeller almost convinced my drunk ass to drop coin on an Aquavit Dark Lord. So also BADL in Iceland.

3. mjohnson17

mjohnson17

He was thinking “stupid tourist, I’ll get this sucker.”

4. JCastle

JCastle

He admitted he wanted to try it (and I was also super curious about the Aquavit character). But I hate any and all Dark Lord so I convinced myself not to buy it.

5. matedog

matedog

Mikkeller Reykjavík has some old ass Belle Vue they were hocking for a few hundred dollars US. It crossed my mind until I did the currency translation.

6. Jnorton00

Jnorton00

10 bucks a bottle at the store by me.

jmgrub likes this.
  7. swivelhips

swivelhips

I remember finding PnB at Far Bar in LA in 2014 or 2015 for $15 a bottle and thinking it was a fantastic deal. I think we ordered 3 bottles.

8. GetchaPull

GetchaPull

I think this is the beer I traded an OGV 07 (non-Valentijn) for in 2012...all the ragrets. And the recipient is among us. ;) At least it wasn't my worst decision trade-wise.

9. GetchaPull

GetchaPull

Still love that beer.

liquiddegenerate and jmgrub like this.
  10. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson

I feel like this is a marker for how long you've been around in the beer trading scene: did you trade 3F for hyped fail whales? Anyone who says no either wasn't there or is a liar.

In our defense, this stuff was a lot easier to get a hold of. And cheaper. Case in point, my first BIAB invoice (Oct 2011):

[​IMG]

sliverx, davey101, mjohnson17 and 9 others like this.
  11. stupac2

stupac2

I'd have to check my spreadsheet but I bet that was me!
    I certainly never did, I've always been the guy giving up the hypewhales. I figured out pretty early on that trading for American beer is kinda dumb.

Although, I suppose to be far, I have traded some whalier 3F beers for quantity of less whaley 3F beers...

GetchaPull likes this.
  12. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson

Please leave.

exitmusic00 and wuntrikpony like this.
  13. stupac2

stupac2

If only it were that easy to get rid of me!

14. matedog

matedog

FF for 35E in 2011 is higher than I thought it would be. That makes me feel less bad about not jumping on that bandwagon at the time. That 16E LPG tho...

15. sherm1016

sherm1016

I did the Unwanted Whales BIF back in the day (4.0 IIRC). I believe I sent a 2011 Brandy Dark Lord and received a DDG B1. This was right around the time that someone's Brandy Dark Lord exploded in their fridge, and I had already had the GOAT with Brandy Vanilla DL, so I was ok parting with it. The DDG ended up getting drank at a tasting with B1, B2, and B3 DDG. B1 was the winner at that point.

My bottle of CW 1414 was not accepted into Round 5.0. :oops:

16. stupac2

stupac2

Was that the Math trade urbancaver ran? I did one of them and turned an Iced Eclipse into a Malvassia Rosso, that one sure worked out for me...

17. sherm1016

sherm1016

It was run by urbancaver, but I think the Math BIFs were different. It was literally called Unwanted Whales. The threads are still over on BA I think.

18. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

neorunner always did the math bif as far as I know.

Unwanted Whales was urbancaver and khazaddum asked him about a million questions up front about how the BIF was done to figure out whether or not it was a scam to end up with the whaleiest beer himself.

Shocker, some folks ended up mad.

He also ran a one bottle BIF at Dark lord Day where the rumor was because he was flipping bottles into and out of his backpack that he was swapping bottles he had for bottles he wanted when no one was looking. A buddy gave me his bottle to swap in the BIF and I walked up right when someone else did and made sure to take the bottle he had just been given. End result was guy who went first traded down (shocking...) and we ended up about even. I felt a little bad, but we had spend about exactly enough time around the guy to know how far we could trust him and are not surprised at all he has faded from the scene. Dat Beau voicemail though... :D One of my favorite DLD memories.

19. JulianB

JulianB

20. stupac2

stupac2

Ah, that's right, I remember that there was some crap about him massaging the rankings in a way that got him the best stuff, but it worked fine for me!

I always think it's the math BIF because the principle was the same, except instead it being algorithmic and maximizing utility overall it was hand-done to maximize one person's utility...

KevSal and jmgrub like this.