Let’s talk Dirty Horse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedromar

Reaction score
So this has bothered me for some time now. Just how big was the original barrel of Dirty Horse that Urbain allegedly forgot about for 20+ years only to rediscover, bottle, and sell?

What bugs me is that at a minimum, before any kegs are taken into account, there is 243.75 liters of 1983 Dirty Horse officially bottled. I’m basing this off the fact that there are at least 100 bottles of 100% unblended 1983 DH and 250 of 90/10 83 DH to 05 DH.

So how damn big was this barrel that sat in a non-climate controlled garage for 20 years that it still had nearly 250L left in it even after you take into account the angels share? Or really, what is in all these bottles Struise has sold as a 30+ year old lambic?

L3Yq.gif

lol Struise

I enjoyed the **** out of many of their offerings but also heard a couple of sketchy things from folks in the industry who claim they are bull shitters

Crazy Horse, I believe it’s called is ****ing outstanding. Was on Etre and I bought 3 bottles. Now it’s stateside. Figured. Lol.

Go get ya some. Srsly. Awesome beer.

just came across my bottles

So this has bothered me for some time now. Just how big a haul of the original Dirty Horse that you allegedly forgot about only to rediscover, log in to Talkbeer, and complain about?

What bugs me is that at a minimum, before any other messageboard postings are taken into account, there are almost 5 years of unaccounted for talking about beer that just went missing.

So how damn big was your haul of this rare, old beer that sat in a non-climate controlled garage for 5 years that it still had any left for you to find even after you take into account the angels share? Or really, what is the reason you came here to talk about your 30+ year old lambic?

5 years of no beer talk = grad school and not following beer much anymore.

A buddy sent me a photo last week of a friend ordering a bottle of Dirty Horse in Belgium. This reminded me I had some and I went digging tonight to find them. When I found them, it finally hit me just how ******** the whole origin story of Dirty Horse actually is, but I figured I’d try seeking out people more knowledgeable than me. Especially now that I’m seeing Struise occasionally selling ‘1978 Dirty Horse’ and other vintages.

5 years of no beer talk = grad school and not following beer much anymore.

A buddy sent me a photo last week of a friend ordering a bottle of Dirty Horse in Belgium. This reminded me I had some and I went digging tonight to find them. When I found them, it finally hit me just how ******** the whole origin story of Dirty Horse actually is, but I figured I’d try seeking out people more knowledgeable than me. Especially now that I’m seeing Struise occasionally selling ‘1978 Dirty Horse’ and other vintages.

Grad School is the time to get into beer and TB! They've helped me drown the sorrows...

Anyone remember WVL aka Water van Lourdes from the original Copenhagen Beer Celebration? Both delicious and possibly ********

So here is the scoop on Dirty Horse and it's varients

If you have recently seen people with bottles they weren't Dirty Horse but Dark Horse It's a new just released beer from Struise. I have not ticked yet but a cross between a spontaneous fermented beer (dirty horse) and Oude Bruin (Earthmonk)

My understanding of the 1978 Dirty Horse is that it's a non fruited Lambic which exists in small amounts in a plastic bladder at the school house It only comes out at the whim of Urbain. I have seen growler fills get out of the brewery.

There was a keg of 100% 1983 Dirty Horse a Ebenezer's that was served 4 consecutive years at the annual Belgian fest. It was a kriek Lambic and they one that I actually tried. This keg kicked in 2016 unfortunately and I think it's the last of the 100% 1983 Dirty Horse.

There were also bottles of a blended Dirty Horse that made it out of Struise. A portion of tge 1983 Kriek and a newer batch blended together. I was told that the newer stuff was a scientific attempt to recreate the original 1983. This is the batch that you see at the whale tastings ect.

If you have recently seen people with bottles they weren't Dirty Horse but Dark Horse It's a new just released beer from Struise. I have not ticked yet but a cross between a spontaneous fermented beer (dirty horse) and Oude Bruin (Earthmonk)

My understanding of the 1978 Dirty Horse is that it's a non fruited Lambic which exists in small amounts in a plastic bladder at the school house It only comes out at the whim of Urbain. I have seen growler fills get out of the brewery.

There was a keg of 100% 1983 Dirty Horse a Ebenezer's that was served 4 consecutive years at the annual Belgian fest. It was a kriek Lambic and they one that I actually tried. This keg kicked in 2016 unfortunately and I think it's the last of the 100% 1983 Dirty Horse.

There were also bottles of a blended Dirty Horse that made it out of Struise. A portion of tge 1983 Kriek and a newer batch blended together. I was told that the newer stuff was a scientific attempt to recreate the original 1983. This is the batch that you see at the whale tastings ect.
ANOTHER account from 2013 with no avatar and THIS is your first post?!

giphy.gif

So somehow after nearly 30 years, Urbs had a barrel with 250L of beer still sitting in it. How big was Chris’ keg? Because between that, the 250 750mL bottles of 90/10 blend, there’s still another 100 750mL bottles of 100% ‘83 DH.

Maybe they can rebrew the OG Earthmonk with Hardy yeast so it will be good again.

So somehow after nearly 30 years, Urbs had a barrel with 250L of beer still sitting in it. How big was Chris’ keg? Because between that, the 250 750mL bottles of 90/10 blend, there’s still another 100 750mL bottles of 100% ‘83 DH.

Maybe they can rebrew the OG Earthmonk with Hardy yeast so it will be good again.
Looked like a quarter barrel.

I’m mostly just extremely triggered here by the number of people who have had 83 dirty horse which was my biggest personal whale when I first got into beer and thought everything was obtainable.

My fault for not going to Ebs during the glory years of the fest....

If you’re tight with Chris, I’m sure he still has bottles and would more than likely open one. He gave us folks that poured at his first night of the great thirst full 12oz pours of it so it’s not as though he’s not overly generous.

Back