Whiskey lets talk rye

Discussion in 'Whiskey, Wine & Other Booze' started by Merf, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Merf

Merf

I've had the pleasure of enjoying a few different rye whiskeys. Im curious on what everyone would recommend for someone just getting into rye. I've only got the pleasure of trying two. The sazerac 6 year, and the btac sazerac rye.

2. backfat

backfat

Sounds like you've had a nice spectrum of rye as the sazeracs are some of the original and most traditional ryes available on the market. Baby saz, or 6 year is very bold and peppery for a young whiskey. It's still available on the shelves here, but probably won't be for long. It's hard to beat at the price at around 30 a bottle. The btac saz is obviously a lot harder to get ahold of. It's their 18 year version of the original rye. The Thomas Handy is just the barrel proof of the baby saz FYI. If you are looking for a nice spicy mixing rye, I would recommend rittenhouse, although many people drink it straight. Bulleit rye is another great and readily available option. My two favorites and High West Rendezvous Rye and Angel's Envy Rye (I personally like batches 1 and 2). Lots of up and coming young ryes on the market now a days, it's sort of fun to try as many as possible. Look for High West shit. Their double rye is about 33 bucks and tastes like toasted marshmallows.

3. justforrazors

justforrazors

As backfat said, both Baby Saz and 18 are fantastic and great examples of what rye should be. In my mind, rye can be differentiated into two categories- the young and the old ryes. Young rye tends to be spicy, in your face, and incredibly complex from the grain side of things. Older rye tends to develop a great vanilla and oak interplay and the rye spice is significantly mellowed in most cases, although can still be very up front depending on what you are talking about.

My recommendations for young rye are: Willett 4 year, Baby Saz, Rittenhouse 100 pf BiB, and Smooth Ambler Old Scout 7 year. All four are very good, and as backfat said, rittenhouse is a great mixing rye. I like it straight as well.

For old rye (most will be harder to get): Willett 20+ year rye and Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye (my favorite). Saz 18 is also excellent, but you've already had it!

4. commis

commis

Absolutely get yourself some High West. For the money, they're bottle some incredible Rye Whiskies. I actually prefer the lesser priced Double Rye over Rendezvous, that's just me though. Keep an eye out for Canadian Rye. Much of what we're seeing from newer bottlers right now is Canadian anyway... They make a mean fucking rye. I just kicked a bottle of Pendleton 1910 that I believe was a rye from Alberta Premium (?) and it was one of the more enjoyable bottles I've had in quite some time.
    Welcome to rye.

5. Rempo

Rempo

Others not mentioned yet:

Russel's Reserve 6
    Wild Turkey 101 ( this may be discontinued )

6. Lutter

Lutter

I've been drinking a lot of rye lately in the 30-dollar area... I drink everything straight. Favorites are HW Double Rye, Rittenhouse 100, and Baby Saz (which is actually fucking difficult to get in Austin).

Not a true rye... but also check out 1792 bourbon. It's well-priced at $22-$25 and very rye-forward. It's just about my favorite bourbon right now (local liquor store has had a single-barrel release that is tasty as fuck).

Sideswipe, DCbeernerd and Doodler like this.
  7. Merf

Merf

Awesome information. I thank you all for the educating. Ill make a list of your suggestions and see what i can find at my local liqour stores. Ill report back with my findings.

8. kscaldef

kscaldef

I think statements like this are a little misleading. The same distillate aged in two different barrels for the same amount of time can be substantially different whiskeys. The THH barrels aren't picked at random, and diluting down THH isn't going to be identical to Saz 6.

peepmachine, dan and backfat like this.
  9. Ratman

Ratman

I really enjoy a local 15yr old Rye. Its a little bland and doesn't have alot of spices to it but really smooth.
    [​IMG]

If you ever want a sample let me know.

peepmachine, Merf and match1112 like this.
  10. Merf

Merf

Well Saturday night I picked up a bottle of the high west double rye ( on sale couldn't pass on). It was very good and enjoyable. Dangerously smooth with a warming effect. I got a taste of Cinnamon and spice initially and sweet. I picked up on the marshmallows in the after taste. I plan to find a new bottle next Saturday for a side by side. What should I run next to it?

Ratman likes this.
  11. justforrazors

justforrazors

Get yourself some Smooth Ambler Old Scout Rye if you have it at your local store. Also, I have to ask since I see you're in Missouri, where at? Just wondering because the Double Rye is on sale at my local store here in Springfield.

backfat and GrumpyOldTroll like this.
  12. Merf

Merf

Springfield is where I do my shopping at, I live a little north of it. I'll look for that ambler next time I swing by.

13. justforrazors

justforrazors

They have it at the wine center. Let me know if you ever want to share a beer/whiskey.

CheapBeerBuzz likes this.
  14. Merf

Merf

Awesome, that makes my hunting a little easier.

15. justforrazors

justforrazors

Tex....this is Chris from the shop. Nice to see you :D

PeelBacks, Merf and Rau71 like this.
  16. Merf

Merf

Haha! Nice. How ya doing Chris!?

Rau71 and justforrazors like this.
  17. Michigan

Michigan

18. crawfordesquire

crawfordesquire

I guess i have a cheap rye pallet, but I am quite fond of old overholt.

libbey, commis and gwcad like this.
  19. ShanePB

ShanePB

I am really enjoying my bottle of Templeton Rye. As previously mentioned, Bulleit is a nice readily available and rather inexpensive option, too.

theonetheycalljosh likes this.
  20. Knifestyles

Knifestyles

Same exact liquid, to boot.

Though, the Bulleit is bottled at a higher proof.

tehzachatak and sliverx like this.