Whiskey lets talk rye

Discussion in 'Whiskey, Wine & Other Booze' started by Merf, Apr 18, 2014.

1. CheapBeerBuzz

CheapBeerBuzz

Yes, Delilah's bar. I also believe that Jack Rose Saloon in DC has a couple of the Delilah releases if anyone is hunting...but they are not cheap pours.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  2. ripps1

ripps1

Just finished a bottle of whistle pig 10yr. Thinking about Pikersville Rye for my next bottle. Anything else I should look for? Shelf rye, let’s say under $70.

Some of my past bottles
    High west rendezvous rye
    Micthers rye
    Whistle pig
    Knob creek rye
    Bullet rye.

3. SpentBrain

SpentBrain

I know people really like Pikesville, but I’m mixed on it. I pick up a bit of sweetness that I don’t love, but for some reason I keep going back to the bottle. I also like McKenna, especially for the price. Have a bottle of Bulleit as well, but can’t say I’ve drank it in anything other than a cocktail.

Gonzoillini and ripps1 like this.
  4. ripps1

ripps1

Interesting on the Pikesville. I may try a pour somewhere first then. Thanks for the info

5. SpentBrain

SpentBrain

If you’re near the Tech Center during the day on weekdays I can get you a sample. Bulleit and McKenna too if you like.

ripps1 likes this.
  6. Matterhorn

Matterhorn

EH Taylor Straight Rye?

Also, Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye that recently hit shelves is right around $70. Couldn't tell you how it compares to the standard KC Rye.

ripps1 likes this.
  7. PrinceCasual

PrinceCasual

Sazerac 6yr is an obvious one, although depending where you are it's either a shelfie, way over priced, or impossible to get. Costco in DC often has a pallet of it, no limit for $26.99; independent stores have it for $39.99 and up *seen as high as $79.99), and then in VA it's a 1pp and never even available like that anymore.

It's a powerhouse if you can find it for under $30 though, for sure.

8. Digita7693

Digita7693

ripps1 I’m a huge fan of Pikesville, neat or in cocktails.

A few years ago I would have said saos rye:(

harrymel, Gonzoillini and ripps1 like this.
  9. bigred

bigred

I don't think there will ever be a whiskey with a better QPR than the SAOS Rye series. Sad they've been discontinued, glad I at least have a couple bottles left.

Espeer, ripps1, JBPortland and 3 others like this.
  10. emottram

emottram

ripps1
    I recently picked up a bottle of the Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye. I haven't opened it yet, however I did just kill a bottle of Knob Creek Single Barrel Rye 115 proof store pick. I really enjoyed it which was the main reason for grabbing the cask strength version.

ripps1 and MikeG like this.
  11. boutbeer

boutbeer

SAOS Rye was a great value whiskey for $35. The prices people pay now boggle the mind. Weller 12 fits that statement as well, as do many others.

Gonzoillini, ripps1 and MikeG like this.
  12. MooseLang

MooseLang

I didn't know anything about SAOS Rye when it first hit. I just kept buying and drinking it. I didn't know it was going to disappear at some point. It was all over the place here, and I just....took it for granted.

(Link to media)

tikk, Kentucky, Espeer and 3 others like this.
  13. Espeer

Espeer

Surprised that the same people who love SAOS rye also seem so high on Pikesville. Is there major bottle variation in Pikesville? I keep coming back to my bottle , expecting to pick up something good, but it is just so boring. Solid, for sure, but nothing memorable in the taste.

SAOS is just packed with unique flavors in comparison. I've had 3 bottles and they were identically great.

Kentucky likes this.
  14. bigred

bigred

I've enjoyed the Pikesville I've tried, but I think of it more as a high rye bourbon than a rye whiskey.

15. boutbeer

boutbeer

I swapped my last two bottles of 99pf Rye for a 17 GTS. No regrets. I found it to be a nice rye, but nothing mind-blowing. Cask strength store picks, on the other hand..............

MooseLang likes this.
  16. PrinceCasual

PrinceCasual

I still don't understand why this is easily available, yet everyone hems and haws about SAOS Rye... same thing, no?

[​IMG]

tikk likes this.