Levi Funk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
levifunk, in your opinion, who has the best american sour program? Who are some promising up and comers? What will the American sour program become over the next 10 years and who will be leading the charge?

It isn't unusable. I still use it to manage my cellar (which it was originally designed for). The site changes on BA resulted in essentially a complete rebuild to scrap reviews.

Bad wording on my part. I never used it for cellar management since (for me) that changes more frequently than my reviews do. ISO a means of BA review backups.

levifunk, in your opinion, who has the best american sour program? Who are some promising up and comers? What will the American sour program become over the next 10 years and who will be leading the charge?

The best existing American sour program probably has to go to Russian River, but I think the American Sour game is changing drastically right now. You see much more brewers (and consumers) understanding what Lambic is and how much more complex it is than just a generic "sour" beer. I would have to highlight those breweries such as Jester King and Allagash who are pursuing traditional lambic production. I'm also very hopeful for Rivertown. Also, Crooked stave is doing so much to educate the american beer drinking population.

I think in the next 10 years you will see the American Sour category develop and split into multiple distinct categories. Currently we have 1 category that covers anything from 100% brett beers (not sour), to brett secondary beers (also not sour), to sour blondes, to american lambics. It is very confusing to label those all as one.

In regards to american lambics in the next 10 years I think we will have the start of a healthy program. Allagash is kind of leading the charge at the moment, but I hope to be right behind them ;)

Bad wording on my part. I never used it for cellar management since (for me) that changes more frequently than my reviews do. ISO a means of BA review backups.

Yea, and I think if this is to be rebuilt, it should be built on html or some web based program. Much easier to interact with another website and excel VBA has too many limitations.

No. It's an AWA and everything you do will always be one.

Antonio-Banderas-computer-you-got-me-yospos-reaction-13677939419.gif

The best existing American sour program probably has to go to Russian River, but I think the American Sour game is changing drastically right now. You see much more brewers (and consumers) understanding what Lambic is and how much more complex it is than just a generic "sour" beer. I would have to highlight those breweries such as Jester King and Allagash who are pursuing traditional lambic production. I'm also very hopeful for Rivertown. Also, Crooked stave is doing so much to educate the american beer drinking population.

I think in the next 10 years you will see the American Sour category develop and split into multiple distinct categories. Currently we have 1 category that covers anything from 100% brett beers (not sour), to brett secondary beers (also not sour), to sour blondes, to american lambics. It is very confusing to label those all as one.

In regards to american lambics in the next 10 years I think we will have the start of a healthy program. Allagash is kind of leading the charge at the moment, but I hope to be right behind them ;)

levifunk you should get and try some beers from degardebrewing if you haven't already. I know I'm being a bit of a homer but I think his beers have the potential to be in the elite category of American wild ales; heck, in my opinion several are there already.

levifunk you should get and try some beers from degardebrewing if you haven't already. I know I'm being a bit of a homer but I think his beers have the potential to be in the elite category of American wild ales; heck, in my opinion several are there already.

I'd love to try their stuff. I've had some great AWA from Almanac, Tired Hands, Crooked Stave, etc. I guess I was speaking more toward the idea that in the next 10 years I think there will be a need for this catch all category to be split up.

I'd love to try their stuff. I've had some great AWA from Almanac, Tired Hands, Crooked Stave, etc. I guess I was speaking more toward the idea that in the next 10 years I think there will be a need for this catch all category to be split up.

I agree, and I think a reason degardebrewing is going to be on the forefront of the style is that they are brewing 100% spontaneously fermented ales in a region that is really appropriate for it.

I'm not really aware of the backstory here, so who are you and how are you involved in lambic? Is it your profession in any capacity?

I have been brewing lambic with O'so Brewing for the last couple years. This year I had a coolship built and we are now making lambic according to traditional methodology. In the next year I hope to find a warehouse space of my own and contract brew with multiple breweries.

I have been brewing lambic with O'so Brewing for the last couple years. This year I had a coolship built and we are now making lambic according to traditional methodology. In the next year I hope to find a warehouse space of my own and contract brew with multiple breweries.
So I take it you don't subscribe to the notion that lambic can only come from the traditional areas of Belgium?

Why has every American Wild fallen short in complexity to true Belgian Lambics? I don't think there's a shortage of dusty farm attics to do spontaneous fermentation in America. Have we not found desirable areas?

Back