Looking for saison ingredient suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoudreGuy

Reaction score
So my brother-in-law currently lives in Morocco and has taken up home brewing. He normally orders everything online and does a lot of kits, but I thought I'd pick up some hops and yeast packets for him as a Christmas present. He particularly likes brewing saisons and the ones I was able to try when there in June were pretty good. I was thinking of hitting the home-brew store near my house to get him some fun stuff to play with. Suggestions? He still brews all extract, otherwise I'd be up for getting him some malted grain as well.

I wouldn't bother hauling a bunch of grain, might not be the best idea due to weight limits and/or any customs issues importing agricultural/food material. I'd sneak in maybe a few packs of harder to find hops for dry-hopping or a few vials of cool yeast blends.

I'm planning on hops and yeast, he can deal with ordering heavy malt extract. Any specific ones people like to use? I can just get him some of the new hotness hops and saisons yeasts, but was curious if anyone has a good recipe they like.

His brother brought him hops and yeast before, plus they've got US diplomatic passports and are able to bypass a lot of the stricter regulations about agricultural products in Morocco.

Agreed on the kveik, been dying to use them but they're not so easy to find. I love the Yeast Bay saison blends too.

For hops: I really like making light table beers with some fruity dry-hopping, some variants I've enjoyed include Amarillo, Azacca, Nelson, Galaxy, and Mandarina Bavaria.

Fancy honey/sugar/non-grain fermentables might be a good idea. Wet yeast has a pretty short shelf life.

I’ll be giving him the gift on Christmas and they’ll be heading back to Rabat oh the 28th. Figured the yeast might survive that.

Home brew shop was totally picked clean of any sort of interesting yeast. Got him Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra and Mosaic packets to start with. I'll hit another shop.

Packs of Belle Saison if he can't get it. Maybe some blackman dried yeast too.

My BiL orders kits off Amazon I think. Not a ton of options for home brewing in Morocco. Not many options for beer in general. The store at the American embassy does have a few craft options, but he mostly depends on home brew and trips to Spain for quality beer.

Home brew shop was totally picked clean of any sort of interesting yeast. Got him Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra and Mosaic packets to start with. I'll hit another shop.

My BiL orders kits off Amazon I think. Not a ton of options for home brewing in Morocco. Not many options for beer in general. The store at the American embassy does have a few craft options, but he mostly depends on home brew and trips to Spain for quality beer.
Bring him some bottles of jolly pumpkin, their dregs are better than any commercial saison yeast and you can share some beers

Latest posts

Back