Making cuts in my newly finished basement--need a game plan!

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by burntfoot, Aug 8, 2017.

1. burntfoot

burntfoot

Hi guys

I am in the middle of finishing my basement to add additional living space in my townhouse. So as of now I have my whole cellar in boxes in the living room (wife loves it lol). My issue is that after seeing the layout I will have a lot less storage space for my bottles then what I had previously.

My questions are
    Has any one had to downsize since starting a cellar?
    How do you make "cuts"?
    I bought most all stuff with the idea of enjoying it.

I also will be starting to keep track of what I have in my cellar ... I have heard of some programs like Cellar HQ, is that the best to use (I rather not do plan excel)

Any help would be great since I will have to start to come up with a game plan.

thanks!

2. abawol01

abawol01

I'll be the first to tell you to start drinking. Best way to thin a cellar is to consume it. Seems pretty simple to me.

3. ant880

ant880

I prefer to use a saw of some type when making cuts, whether in my basement or other areas of my house.

4. libbey

libbey

When I had to move recently and was looking to downsize I had a bunch of friends over for a tasting and specifically told them not to bring any bottles. Put a pretty good dent in everything.

5. Rock31

Rock31

I had an all day BBQ with some friends, brought out a ton of bottles and we drank, some people took bottles home that they wanted to try and I was set.....then I won the 13 Run Pool and got 28 new boxes of beer....back to square one.

I bought a dining room buffet table that has a ton of storage underneath it, that's where my beer is going for now.

6. FEUO

FEUO

^ this, and be adamant about not buying another beer until you get it to the watermark you set for the cellar.

Did this earlier this year and I can safely say my cellar consists of a couple shelves in my beer fridge. Dats it.

7. pmoney

pmoney

I don't know how much you have, but start by earmarking a certain number of bottles (50 bottles, 100 bottles, 10 cases, whatever you realistically have space for) that have potential to age a little longer, or that you want to save.

Then take all of the others, and load up your fridge. Drink those, and stop worrying about saving every last beer for sharing or for a special occasion. And commit to not buying anymore beer until those are gone.

8. BigFrank

BigFrank

I was so going to offer my services....but Jersey is to f'ing far away. Rock31, you should be running a constant .10 with all the beer you have.

9. Rock31

Rock31

I almost have it all unpacked in the new place, I will try and get a shot of the bottles once I am done.

All the cans are gone, that was a long, blurry two weeks, never drank so much in my life.