Maryland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iliketurtles

Reaction score
Let's use this to keep track of new bottle releases, beer events, new bars, etc.

I'm personally on the lookout for New Belgium Le Terroir and Velvet Merkin. Let me know if you see them. If you know me, grab a bottle or two for me if possible.

Also, Baltimore Beer Week starts October 18: http://www.baltimorebeerweek.com/ Looks like Max's will be doing some cool events as always. The BBW website is pretty shitty, but Max's should update their own website soon.

I was thinking of starting a thread like this. Personally, I am looking forward to:

Piercing Pils
Dwarf Invasion
Gillian, Halia, Juliet (super expensive at PP)
Bourbon Barrel Quad & Imperial Stout
FW 17, Velvet Merkin, and Velvet Merlin
BCBS and variants (if any make it to MD)
Moo Hoo and White Chocolate version
Wake N Bake and Cinnamon Roll'd version
Southern Charred, Crime, Punishment, Smoked Porter variants
Narwhal,
Bigfoot and Celebration
Flying Dog Simcoe
, Sorachi Single Hops, Cinnamon Porter, Vineyard Blonde

Last edited:
This thread is a great idea.

I'm also interested in

Narwhal and Celebration
BCBS and variants
Wake-and-Bake
Insanity (although I know a shop that may still have some)
BBQ

Narwhal is out - got a 4 pack on Monday from Total Wine

BBQ is already in VA, so it should be heading north soon

Love that we're setting up a releases thread here! Any interest in making it DMNoVa?

I didn't start the thread, but would rather keep it just MD. I know some people make it around to the rest of the region, but VA and DC get a lot of stuff that MD doesn't get. But that is just me. I wouldn't be against it, that is just my argument. I mean it wouldn't be bad to see what is relatively nearby, so there is that. You could just make a DCVA thread or a DNoVa thread.

I got a few bottles of BBQ last night. They're not really on sale yet though. I also can't tell you where I got them but expect to see them in stores soon.

Moo Hoo also came in this week.

Any interest in me working on a Baltimore area summary with info on bars, beer stores, and breweries like bum732 did for DC?

I got a few bottles of BBQ last night. They're not really on sale yet though. I also can't tell you where I got them but expect to see them in stores soon.

Moo Hoo also came in this week.

Any interest in me working on a Baltimore area summary with info on bars, beer stores, and breweries like bum732 did for DC?

Do it. You should include all of Maryland though. I can help you out with Western and Montgomery county (that'll be a short ass section). There is not much on the Eastern shore so it shouldn't be too difficult. Let me know.

If we're including Nova:

Fairfax has:
Expedition
Double Cream
Narwhal
Celebration

I'm interested in:
Founders Imperial Stout
Backwoods Bastard

If you're not including nova than just ignore me

hanajibu - I saw Peach Grand Cru at Perfect Pour last night. Don't recall the price, but I think it was 16$.

Thanks, but I had it on tap at Max's for free on my birthday. Wasn't a big fan, but I'm new to Grand Cru's. Also, it seems they now have taps, so I should check that out, not that I'm going to get any there but still.

I was thinking of starting a thread like this. Personally, I am looking forward to:

Piercing Pils
Dwarf Invasion
Gillian, Halia, Juliet (super expensive at PP)
Bourbon Barrel Quad & Imperial Stout
FW 17, Velvet Merkin, and Velvet Merlin
BCBS and variants (if any make it to MD)
Moo Hoo and White Chocolate version
Wake N Bake and Cinnamon Roll'd version
Southern Charred, Crime, Punishment, Smoked Porter variants
Narwhal, Bigfoot and Celebration
Flying Dog Simcoe, Sorachi Single Hops, Cinnamon Porter, Vineyard Blonde

Just saw on FB that the GI "sisters" just landed at Fishpaws, along with BBQ and some others.

I can't make it there today but will hit one or two other spots on the way home and see what they have in, and report back.

Just saw on FB that the GI "sisters" just landed at Fishpaws, along with BBQ and some others.

I can't make it there today but will hit one or two other spots on the way home and see what they have in, and report back.
Note the price if you will. Fishpaws is out of my way for sure (work in woodlawn, live in Rockville), but for the right price, I would swing down there.

Has anyone seen Mikkeller Vanilla Shake around MD? I keep asking stores about it. No luck so far.

Note the price if you will. Fishpaws is out of my way for sure (work in woodlawn, live in Rockville), but for the right price, I would swing down there.

I'll get back with the prices at the other spots. If you check the Fishpaws FB page you should see price stickers on the bottles pictured. $22-$26 depending on the beer if I remember.

I'll get back with the prices at the other spots. If you check the Fishpaws FB page you should see price stickers on the bottles pictured. $22-$26 depending on the beer if I remember.
Don't have FB. I saw some 2012 Juliet for 16.99 yesterday. Thought about grabbing some since the price was right.

Everything that is coming out right now seems to be super expensive: the Sisters, VM/XVII (when it hits MD), Crime/Punishment/Southern Charred.

I have no idea what the BCBS/variants will cost here or the Terrapin stout variants.

Everything that is coming out right now seems to be super expensive: the Sisters, VM/XVII (when it hits MD), Crime/Punishment/Southern Charred.

I have no idea what the BCBS/variants will cost here or the Terrapin stout variants.
Just get a Bruery Reserve membership and sink several hundred into shipping it to MD. Everything will always look like a great deal afterwards.

Just get a Bruery Reserve membership and sink several hundred into shipping it to MD. Everything will always look like a great deal afterwards.

Is that what you did? I thought of getting the Preservation, but I couldn't swing. However, my uncle does live out in CA, but not sure where he is in relation to The Bruery.

Has anyone seen Mikkeller Vanilla Shake around MD? I keep asking stores about it. No luck so far.

I think Stateline normally gets some, but they don't have any at the moment. I know it's a haul, but thought I'd mention in case you're traveling or know someone headed that way/back.

Is that what you did? I thought of getting the Preservation, but I couldn't swing. However, my uncle does live out in CA, but not sure where he is in relation to The Bruery.

Or have it shipped to your uncle and then have him ship to you..all he'd have to do is stick a new label on the box as everything would be packed up and set to go. Also, I think I calculated it's about $120 total to have the whole year's worth of allocations shipped in-state and then cross-country.

Also, I think I calculated it's about $120 total to have the whole year's worth of allocations shipped in-state and then cross-country.

Aly - I have to disagree here. There's no way it costs only $120. I've been in RS for two years now. Every 12 pack wine shipper my trustee sends me from California routinely runs me $25-$30. And I usually underestimate the weight at 10-15 lbs when the box actually weights closer to 35lbs.

I'll look through my fedex billing, a task I never like doing. If 120$ is even half of what i pay in shipping for Bruery RS, I'll buy you a beer.

Aly - I have to disagree here. There's no way it costs only $120. I've been in RS for two years now. Every 12 pack wine shipper my trustee sends me from California routinely runs me $25-$30. And I usually underestimate the weight at 10-15 lbs when the box actually weights closer to 35lbs.

I'll look through my fedex billing, a task I never like doing. If 120$ is even half of what i pay in shipping for Bruery RS, I'll buy you a beer.

I'll save you the trouble of looking through your billing history ;) and clarify: $120 was for RS allocation only. I believe it's $21 for a 6-bottle shipper in-state, then another $30ish to DC. Double that for the second 6-bottle allocation (although it's really 5 and 5), and you're only at about $100. Now if you're sending 12 bottles at a time, or ordering more than twice a year, obviously it'll be more. But in theory, it should be about $400 ($300 membership + $100 shipping) - otherwise I don't think many people would do it.

Does anyone know if we will be getting any Abraxas? I am assuming we won't get any bottles. Kegs?

Hey sorry to be "that guy" but I've been watching this thread looking to see if a Baltimore Guide came out of it, but I havent seen one and needed some advice.

I'll be in Baltimore for the first time in a LONG time this weekend (work conference) and wanted some advice on bars and bottle shops. Staying Inner Harbor at Hilton Baltimore and most of my time will be spent at the convention center and in that area.

I know about Max's and Alewife, but is there anything else in that area worth checking out? I likely wont have a car, but could cab or walk reasonable distances. Also, best place to look for bottles to take home? Again, same parameters apply, although one day I'm having dinner with a friend who lives in the suburbs so might be able to convince her to drive me somewhere close.

Thanks for any help you can offer, and if any of you are even in the Austin area and need advice or want to grab a beer, dont hesitate to ask!

Ken

kmello69 Which suburbs? Basically, North or South of the tunnel/key bridge?

There aren't really any great bottleshops in the region you are staying in. TBH there aren't that many even in the city. There is Federal Hill Liquors, which is right near the Brewer's Cask (a decent bar). Metropolitan is also in that area. With a cab drive, you get access to the best concentration of decent bottleshops: Loading Dock Liquors, Canton Market, Bo Brooks' Lighthouse Liquors, Mahaffey's (bar) and Hudson St. Stackhouse (bar). All of them are literally within walking distance of each other.

kmello69 Which suburbs? Basically, North or South of the tunnel/key bridge?

There aren't really any great bottleshops in the region you are staying in. TBH there aren't that many even in the city. There is Federal Hill Liquors, which is right near the Brewer's Cask (a decent bar). Metropolitan is also in that area. With a cab drive, you get access to the best concentration of decent bottleshops: Loading Dock Liquors, Canton Market, Bo Brooks' Lighthouse Liquors, Mahaffey's (bar) and Hudson St. Stackhouse (bar). All of them are literally within walking distance of each other.

Thanks for the insights! Dont mind a cab ride at all.

Yeah, forgot to mention which suburb. She lives in Hanover, which looks like its south of downtown, about 11 miles out.

Stillwater's Of love and regret and Heavy Seas ale house are newish and perhaps worth a walkthrough. The wine source in Hampden is alright in terms of bottle shops.

Thanks for the insights! Dont mind a cab ride at all.

Yeah, forgot to mention which suburb. She lives in Hanover, which looks like its south of downtown, about 11 miles out.

Then, you are right near Cindy's Skylight Liquors (1.6 miles from Hanover). They are quite nice, but if you want to go to one of my favorite spots and one of the top 3 spots in MD, then head over to Dawson's in Severna Park (17 miles), which is also near Fishpaw's, another great spot in MD too. Might be the best spot in Maryland south of Baltimore.

Have to agree on Dawson's and Fishpaws. Good selection. Prices are better at Fishpaws, in general. If you're in Hanover, you aren't too far from The Perfect Pour. Great selection, just expect to feel violated if you buy anything...

Hey sorry to be "that guy" but I've been watching this thread looking to see if a Baltimore Guide came out of it, but I havent seen one and needed some advice.

I'll be in Baltimore for the first time in a LONG time this weekend (work conference) and wanted some advice on bars and bottle shops. Staying Inner Harbor at Hilton Baltimore and most of my time will be spent at the convention center and in that area.

I know about Max's and Alewife, but is there anything else in that area worth checking out? I likely wont have a car, but could cab or walk reasonable distances. Also, best place to look for bottles to take home? Again, same parameters apply, although one day I'm having dinner with a friend who lives in the suburbs so might be able to convince her to drive me somewhere close.

Thanks for any help you can offer, and if any of you are even in the Austin area and need advice or want to grab a beer, dont hesitate to ask!

Ken
How long will you be in B'more? Just for the weekend?

Back