US - Mid-Atlantic Maryland

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Iliketurtles, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy

I think i saw some 2010 bigfoot at the perfect pour in elkridge.

But that was a few months ago. I'd call and ask, if that's within your range

2. brees6221

brees6221

Just looking for 1 each of whatever I can find, thanks!

3. brees6221

brees6221

Definitely, thanks.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy

They also had some vinatage anchor christmas ale too, if thats your thing

5. brees6221

brees6221

Thanks but I'm just looking for Bigfoot right now to round out a vertical tasting.

duceswild and Beerontwowheels like this.
  6. brees6221

brees6221

Huge thanks to runner440 for hooking me up with '08-'10 Bigfoot and requesting nothing in return, and then throwing in extras! Very generous of you sir, I will be buying you a beer or four sometime in the future.

[​IMG]

Quick little story about our meetup...we agreed on a time and place to meet on Saturday morning, near Costco in an area he suggested so that I could do some shopping afterward with the family. I pulled into the parking lot and saw a tan Altima (which is what he said he would be driving) complete with rusted fenders and a green bumper. As I park two spots over my wife and I notice he has his hoodie pulled up over his head, hasn't shaved in weeks and is chowing down on some McD's breakfast. With a hint of concern my wife says, "That's the guy?" After assuring her this kind of thing was normal and I'd exchanged beers with sketchier looking folks, I get out of the van and hear her lock the doors behind me - thanks babe. I approached his car, did a little half wave and he reached across the passenger seat and opened the door. "Hi, Luke?" I said. Mid-chew and thoroughly confused, he replied, "Luke?! No."

"Oh sorry" I said as I shut the door and walked away. I shot my wife the UNLOCK THE DOOR NOW look and got back in the van as she and the kids all laughed at me. Fast forward 2 minutes and this much newer, rust-free Altima with matching tan paint on all panels pulls into the parking spot between me and the guy who isn't Luke.

Young guy with a fresh haircut is driving, his trophy wife smiles and waves from the passenger seat. Odds are this is Luke and Mrs. Luke but I'm not taking any chances. I mean, I guess he looks enough like a runner. I wait until he gets out of his car first and waves just to make sure.

Beer is received, way too much money is spent at Costco, and all is right with the world.

7. Iliketurtles

Iliketurtles

I once did an IP trade at a lower school near my friend's place (before a tasting) at 7:15pm. It was winter, so it was completely dark. Didn't realize how sketchy it would seem until I was pulling in. No regrets.

duceswild and Vogt52 like this.
  8. runner440

runner440

I am glad I could hook you up and not completely sketch you out in the process! I am also breaking in the new glassware that you gave me, which I am super pumped about!

[​IMG]

Phin, duceswild, Iliketurtles and 5 others like this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy

Max's is pouring tomes, cantillons (including fou), and lots of other great shit on tap right now, and i'm stuck at work

Fuck this shit

Phin, duceswild and Vogt52 like this.
  10. MooseLang

MooseLang

I had been to Friday morning of Max’s Belgian Fest every year for 5 years in a row. This is the first year I skipped, and I did it because they were pouring Fou Foune on tap. I just assumed the line would be stupid long early Friday morning, because of the nice weather and people NEEEEEEDDDINNGGG to try Fou Foune on tap.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy

Fou is great and all, but i want to be there to get on the saison train that is currently rolling through. I can only imagine how many people were lined up this morning under the sole intention of getting to tick fou.

duceswild and MooseLang like this.
  12. MooseLang

MooseLang

Yeah it pained me not to go and grab those 'Tomes on tap. Plus, the draft lineup is always killer.

Sunday is a great day to go, but I'm just not sure I can swing it this year.

duceswild, Vogt52 and Ziggy like this.
  13. Timmush

Timmush

Update... I'll be in d.c. Saturday April 22, Aslin on Sunday, driving to Rar and staying in Cambridge, MD Sunday. Going to Ocean City, Monday . Anyone have advice or going to be around?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Beerontwowheels and Vogt52 like this.
  14. Vogt52

Vogt52

Check out burley oak in Berlin, MD. Only like 20min from Ocean city. If you have time, stop in Salisbury, MD. Evolution and rubber soul are putting out good stuff too.

MooseLang and Timmush like this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy

I'd check out Specific Gravity if you are heading through salisbury too. Owned by Evolution Brewing, good pizza, great beer.

Vogt52, MooseLang and Timmush like this.
  16. MooseLang

MooseLang

I'm like 15 mins from RAR. The only times I usually go are Sundays when they open, so there is a chance I may be there too.

For a dump of a town, Cambridge actually has a couple of really good restaurants if you need recs.

In Salisbury, hit up Cheers Beer and Wine. Not too far from Evolution. You can find some gems there from time to time.

If you're a coffee guy, you can hit up Rise Up in Easton (on way to Cambridge) or in Salisbury. I love Evolution's Rise Up Stout, and they make some damn good coffee. Especially their cold brew.

Timmush and Vogt52 like this.
  17. seedavid

seedavid

Anybody going to this?

I'm not going, but it was a lot of fun last year and I really really wish I could.

duceswild and Vogt52 like this.
  18. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

I thought there was another post from you that had more detail, but I can't find it or it doesn't exist.

I just want to make sure you know Aslin is take-out only right now and I believe they still sell out fairly quickly. No tasters or draft available. Once they're out of beer, they literally shut the place down. Sometimes they have cans available, other times it's just a few options for growler fills (and they won't fill thin neck growlers). Check their twitter before you go and arrive early if you decide to go at all.

If I were you, I'd target a visit to Aslin and Ocelot. They're maybe 15 minutes apart. FYI - Ocelot's IPAs are west coast style, not the juicy/hazy style from Aslin. Ocelot is a little further out from Aslin but a much nicer atmosphere (even before Aslin went take out only). Nice big open space with outdoor seating, plenty on tap (usually a food truck on the weekends) and usually some bottles to go. Nice place (& kid friendly) and you can relax and enjoy a beer or two while your there. Pretty nice variety on draft, which always includes at least 3-4 hoppy things.

Head to Right Proper when you're in DC. If you want food with your beer, hit the brewpub location (Shaw). If you just want some beers and maybe growlers, hit the production facility. I might be available to meet up on Saturday, hit me up with a PM if your pretty flexible on times.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  19. Timmush

Timmush

Oh thanks. If I can't sit and taste a few I might rule out Aslin all together. I'll check the website. If there is no real reason to drive west from DC, I might just spend more time right in the city walking around Sunday, then had to Rar mid day. I'll be looking for can releases so if you hear of any, let me know.

Beerontwowheels and duceswild like this.
  20. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

Just my opinion, but Ocelot's worth the trip even if you decide skip Aslin. That said, it is a bit of a hike and there's plenty to see and do in DC.