US - Mid-Atlantic Maryland

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Iliketurtles, Oct 9, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

The menu board says pints and half pints, but they will give you a sample before you order, and the Kölsch comes in a proper stange so their whole and half are 7 and 13 oz for that.

I am headed home in a few minutes, but here is what i decided to take home with me for sharing:

Iliketurtles and MooseLang like this.
  2. Iliketurtles

Iliketurtles

At cult classic. You have to buy bottled water here to get water. That is uber shitty.

Dank day was fun except for the shitty entry.

Shakedwnst and MooseLang like this.
  3. MooseLang

MooseLang

Nice to meet you yesterday. After said entry issues, it was a really well run fest.

It was a really good idea to slug as many 8% cloudy-ass NEIPAs as I could in three hours in 100 degree heat.

Vogt52 and Iliketurtles like this.
  4. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

I believe an additional filtration system for drinking water is on the to do list. Right now only the brewhouse is on a filtration system. Not sure if you went into the bathroom, but the island is on well water and the water has a definite aroma when you wash your hands.

As for the decision making on why they don’t just include the bottles of water in the overhead in the mean time, that is over my head, as I am not directly involved in the business. I hope you otherwise enjoyed the beer.

MooseLang likes this.
  5. Iliketurtles

Iliketurtles

Nice to meet you too.

Dank day full review:

Entry was terrible. Lots of people had to wait more than an hour to get in. They had one person checking people off of a list. They were not using barcode scanners like seemed possible on the tickets. They should have let people in earlier and not served beer until noon or done something differently. If they just let everyone in I doubt there would have been any major issues. They had to know in advance how poorly the entry would go.

Setup was good. Breweries were good and brought pretty what was advertised. Bathrooms fine. They ran out of water at the end, and the plastic cups melted in the heat. Obviously need to think the water part through a bit more. Location was excellent. It was very hot, but that's not their fault. Could have the fest a month later next year.

Cult classic review:

Plenty of parking. Super dark and not very inviting. Lots of space at tables and bar. Beers were all fine; nothing technically wrong with them. Nothing really interesting on the menu at this point. I like that they do flights. They need to get the water situation figured out. Not putting in a filtration system prior to opening is a poor business decision. I would not seek this place out in the future, but I might stop in on my way back from the beach.

6. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

Appreciate the feedback.

7. MooseLang

MooseLang

Initially, I was hoping they'd let the fest go an additional half-hour or something to make up for the botched entry. However, I had more than my fill at that point in the afternoon. Especially since around 3:30, I put my sample glass in my pocket, and was getting full pours in one of the plastic water cups. It is me, that guy.

The water tasted like they were pulling it straight up out of the Choptank. It was awful, but you gotta hydrate somehow. Actually, around 3:45 or so, I realized I hadn't peed the entire time I had been there. I was just sweating every ounce of liquid out of my back. When I finally broke the seal, my piss was a nice, dark gold color. I knew then that it was time to hit the Gatorade hard.

My only complaint - and it's a minor one - is that I wish the brewers diversified what they were pouring. Basically...I wanted some damn lagers. Especially in that heat. 90% of all NEIPA tastes practically the same (to me), so a little variety would've been welcome. There were a few good Saisons, and I don't really waste my time on fruited kettle sours, but man a Pils or three would've been nice.

I almost checked out Cult Classic yesterday, but traffic heading West over the bridge was absolutely horrendous, so I had to pull a U-turn and head back home. This is the point in Summer time where I cannot wait for the week after Labor Day, when no more Westerners are ruining my side of this State anymore :)

Vogt52 and Iliketurtles like this.
  8. coldcrash

coldcrash

Anyone here make it out to Sapwood Cellars yet?

I stopped in last Thursday. Only had about 20 mins to kill but plenty of time for a pour of House Saison.

Place was fairly full as expected

Iliketurtles and MooseLang like this.
  9. Iliketurtles

Iliketurtles

I have been to sapwood cellars. They have a really nice space. All of their beers were really good, with rings of light being the standout wow beer. I am fairly confident the beers will get better as they figure out their system some. Highly recommend. Once the sours are ready in about a year I expect it to be the best brewery in MD, if it isn't already.

They have food trucks most days, and you can bring your own food.

10. MooseLang

MooseLang

Are any other MD breweries doing actual, "real," barrel-aged wild ales?

Only sours I can think of are 1) kettle and 2) loaded with fruit and shit

Vogt52 and coldcrash like this.
  11. Iliketurtles

Iliketurtles

Not really that I can think of. I think manor hill tried unsuccessfully. Stillwater kind of counts. So yeah MD is definitely in need of traditional wild ale producers.

coldcrash and MooseLang like this.
  12. Vogt52

Vogt52

Say that to haze bois and fruited sour bros and you'd get so much shit hahaha!

People in this area lose their minds for mediocre kettle soured beer with a shit ton of fruit.

So excited for Sapwood Cellars, can't wait to try it out!

13. MooseLang

MooseLang

I am not in love with hazy IPA, but I get the appeal.

I will never get the appeal of kettle sours with a bunch of shit thrown in them. I've tried a ton from both RAR and Burley Oak, and they are mostly repulsive. At best, they taste like fruit juice with a hint of bile.

I'd rather just throw a shot of vodka in Hawaiian Punch.

14. Vogt52

Vogt52

It seems like nowadays, the less a beer tastes like a beer, the more popular it is (ie. Fruited kettle sours, Pastry stouts, and Juicy IPAs)

coldcrash and MooseLang like this.
  15. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

Once upon a time (like a decade ago) I thought Evolution’s barrel program was going to be a great and amazing thing.

I was clearly wrong about that. That’s all I have to contribute to this conversation.

16. MooseLang

MooseLang

I absolutely loved the first batch of Fall Migration. I bought way too much of that beer. They had some early Bourbon BA beers that were really solid, too. The first batch or two of their Flanders Red would've been really good too, had they gotten it to carb up properly.

They definitely had potential. I need to revisit their BA lineup.

17. coldcrash

coldcrash

I participated in a local homebrew “competition” last weekend where the winning beer was a Birthday Cake IPA. It was terrible but it tasted exactly like a fucking birthday cake.

Vogt52, MooseLang and Beerontwowheels like this.
  18. coldcrash

coldcrash

Stopped in Sapwood yesterday at open for a few growler fills. Only ended up taking home one (64oz) since they were out of 32oz (again) and I hadn’t planned ahead.

Rings of Light batch 2. Their hoppy beers all have seemed a bit more dry and delicate than the typical hazeboi cans.

The handful of times I’ve been in, no matter what time of day they seem to have a good amount of activity without being overwhelmed.

Definitely looking forward to some of their mixed fermentation’s later this year hopefully

19. mcgrupp1922

mcgrupp1922

Driving next weekend from DC up through Hagerstown on 68/70 back to Columbus Ohio... any breweries along the way worth stopping at?

coldcrash likes this.
  20. coldcrash

coldcrash

Assuming you’re coming up 270 and picking up 70 in Frederick, there’s Attaboy. IMO the best of a handful of brewpubs in Frederick.

In Hagerstown there’s Cushwa, about 5 mins off 70.

If you’re just looking to tick a few relatively unknown local breweries on your route home, both do a nice job. Taplists tend to be a bit NEIPA-heavy at the moment but everything they both do is solid.

Beerontwowheels and mcgrupp1922 like this.