Marzen / Oktoberfest Discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonzoillini1

Reaction score
Searched around and was surprised to discover that there was no discussion regarding my favorite seasonal release that is tasting phenomenal at the moment as the seasons are beginning to change. I feel like you can learn a lot more about a brewery by trying their Marzen / Oktoberfest than their IPA / adjunct Stout / etc... as it really focuses on ingredient quality, fermentation profile, brewing process instead of relying on in your face flavors that drown out flaws.

Anyways a thread to discuss the style, share favorites, etc..

14291916_1430073997004555_2845720940100716853_n.jpg

Alter Brewing Company (Downers Grove, IL) Festbier

Traditional American interpretation of the Festbier style which is a bit drier than Oktoberfest with less of the malt complexity, richness, mouthfeel that define the style to me. Extremely drinkable as a plus and tasted as clean as you can get.

14333199_1431976970147591_5262028547495008421_n.jpg

Werk Force Brewring Co. (Plainfield, IL) Werktoberfest

Solid version of the style with a lot of Munich malt bready character, and the classic nutty / toasted / light caramel character blending together. Could have used a bit more carbonation, but something you could sit around and drink a growler of over an afternoon without thinking twice.

Went over to imperialking's for an impromptu BBQ this evening and we ended up sampling 8 versions of the style and I'll give some quick thoughts on the 8 we tried.

14359149_1432383426773612_1670445669235284762_n.jpg

New Glarus Staghorn

Probably the best of the bunch and the first one we tried. Just everything I'm looking for with a balance of melanodin, caramel, bready, toasty, nutty malt character and a super clean finish. Super fresh as well.

14368690_1432383463440275_5389342993731960872_n.jpg

Baderbrau Oktoberfest

Not bad, but didn't have the malt complexity you typically see in the style. Dominated by bready base malt character with a bit of caramel and toast, but lacking the overall balance in the best examples.

14368850_1432383483440273_8360098288489942064_n.jpg

Summit Okoberfest

Probably the second best American version we tried, toasted / nutty / biscuit malt character was prominent and lacked a bit of sweetness to balance the assertive hopping. However, due to the increased bitterness, it stood out in a lineup of similar beers.

14330025_1432383520106936_6528305525801848997_n.jpg

Church Street Oktoberfest

Very similar to the Baderbrau version, technically solid but lacked the richness / malt character of the best examples. Had the cleanest finish of any and was getting closer to a Festbier than a Marzen.

14333813_1432383586773596_227776657273043496_n.jpg

Victory Festbier

One of my least favorites of the evening. Was much sweeter than I expected and had a yeast character that was verging on rotten eggs (sulfur to the extreme). Was really surprised considering how good Prima Pils has been for a long time. Maybe an off bottle?

14368768_1432383633440258_77183871745151195_n.jpg

Old Style Oktoberfest

The most Festbier like of the examples tonight, but was surprisingly clean and had a fair bit of toasted / nutty malt character. Lightest body, and no real caramel malt character to be found, but still was better than my meager expectations.

14317516_1432383696773585_7757766013851875098_n.jpg

Ayinger Oktober Fest-Marzen

The quintessential example of the style in my mind, but the bottle tasted a bit dated. Touch of oxidation and reduced body / malt character compared to fresher examples I've had. I need to find some on draft before the season is over.

14370296_1432383726773582_936687021876848481_n.jpg

Berghoff Oktoberfest

While I wasn't a fan of the Victory Festbier, this was my least favorite of the night. Way too sweet, almost all caramel malt sweetness with nearly any bitterness, no toasted character, just malt sweetness like a light barleywine. Didn't have any technical flaws, but seemed like a recipe that was poorly designed (or they are adding caramel coloring, got awful attenuation, etc...).

I've had an awful lot of this year's Sierra release. I know it's less rich than usual for the style but I've found it really refreshing while the weather's stayed pretty warm around me. I definitely have had it a lot more than last year's collab. I'll probably switch to my annual go-to Ayinger as the weather cools down.

I think Victory's Festbier is ****ed up this year. I've had it in bottle and draft format, it's just not right. Sierra Nevada probably my current favorite, but I agree that there are a lot of solid options this season.

Good to know regarding the Victory version as I was really surprised by how "off" it tasted especially in a lineup with a few other options. Will certainly have to revisit next year to see if that was an off batch.

My favorite this year is Urban Chestnut's ridiculously named Oachkatzlschwoaf. I'm digging Sierra Nevada's too - It's vibe is more hoppy maibock/malty Pils than marzen.

Haven't had anything from Urban Chetnut in a while, will certainly check that one out if I see it. Also apparently I need to try this Sierra Nevada version as everyone seems to be enjoying it.

Hacker-Pschorr flies under the radar. I think it's as good as Ayinger.

Goddamn, I love Fall.

Hacker-Pschorr is easily my favorite by a mile. It's intensely sweet and rich so while I really enjoy the flavor I usually only have two or three through the fall. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it locally yet.

My favorite this year is Urban Chestnut's ridiculously named Oachkatzlschwoaf. I'm digging Sierra Nevada's too - It's vibe is more hoppy maibock/malty Pils than marzen.
I'll be drinking obscene amounts of Oachkatzlschwoaf over the next month or so. UCBC rarely misses with their German style stuff.

Love this thread. Thanks for the reminder that I need to seek out more of these. I'm often disappointed with the American "craft" beers that I drink, but I can't remember the last time I was disappointed by a German-brewed marzen, doppelbock etc.

14333813_1432383586773596_227776657273043496_n.jpg

Victory Festbier

One of my least favorites of the evening. Was much sweeter than I expected and had a yeast character that was verging on rotten eggs (sulfur to the extreme). Was really surprised considering how good Prima Pils has been for a long time. Maybe an off bottle?

I think Victory's Festbier is ****ed up this year. I've had it in bottle and draft format, it's just not right. Sierra Nevada probably my current favorite, but I agree that there are a lot of solid options this season.

Finally tried a bottle of fest yesterday after having draft this week and going "what was Sam Fu talking about - the stuff was not the best, but fine" and you should avoid bottles but try it on draft. it's different than a lot of oktoberfests (little sweet, little almost spiced tasting) but not nearly as flawed on tap as bottles, it seems

The always beautiful Heater Allen Bobtoberfest is sitting in my fridge as of yesterday after I snagged a liter stein of Georgetown's version at Belmont Station yesterday. Georgetown did good, kids, get it if you see it.

Damn do I want to try anything from Heater Allen. Heard too much positivity

As for me, grabbing a six of sierra's this week, and a couple ayingers and hacker pschorrs this week, and I will be very pleased. NC wise, Hi Wire makes a pretty solid one, and Highland's has always been a sleeper hit for the style

Oktoberfestbiers in Germany are all pale -- I think Americans make them amber because they've mainly had oxidized imported versions of the German ones.

Weihenstephaner is the best regardless.

https://beerandbrewing.com/VJmmmSsAACgA3zvL/article/the-real-oktoberfest-beer

The above is a good primer on the differences between Festbier & Marzen.

Festbier served at Oktoberfest is different from Marzen (aka Oktoberfest) as we know it in the USA. I'm not a huge fan of Festbier (why not just serve a Helles?), but as you can tell, I'm a huge fan of Marzen.

https://beerandbrewing.com/VJmmmSsAACgA3zvL/article/the-real-oktoberfest-beer

The above is a good primer on the differences between Festbier & Marzen.

Festbier served at Oktoberfest is different from Marzen (aka Oktoberfest) as we know it in the USA. I'm not a huge fan of Festbier (why not just serve a Helles?), but as you can tell, I'm a huge fan of Marzen.
Because Weihenstephaner is the world's most perfect beer?

I know what Märzens are. I just don't like them. End of my crankiness.

I went to a great German Beer Bar for their Oktoberfest this weekend. Got some pours of Warsteiner, Hacker Pschorr, and Aecht Schnlenkerla-Marzen. They had quite a bit of german festbiers, and other non-marzen beers on tap too.

My favorite was the Aecht Schlenkerla, but I realize it's not exactly traditional.

This weekend I am taking part in a blind Marzen tasting which will include both German and American examples. I'll update the thread with the results.

Marzens are one of the perfect seasonal beers - the fully encapsulate what it means to drink on a cooler fall day.

I recently saw a brewery post that showed their tap list to which they have a beer name "**** everything pumpkin" gave me a good laugh! This is the start of all my favorite beer styles to come out; Marzen/Festbier , Fresh Hop, and in the tail end of the year winter ales. So far having tried a few Marzens in between working I gotta give it to Ayinger and Sierra Nevada for bringing the fest ! Alas, being in the west coast I haven't had the pleasure of trying any of the festbiers on the East Coast (Harpoon I hear does a damn good festbier) but thanks to this thread I now have some new ones to seek out!

I went to a great German Beer Bar for their Oktoberfest this weekend. Got some pours of Warsteiner, Hacker Pschorr, and Aecht Schnlenkerla-Marzen. They had quite a bit of german festbiers, and other non-marzen beers on tap too.

My favorite was the Aecht Schlenkerla, but I realize it's not exactly traditional.

This weekend I am taking part in a blind Marzen tasting which will include both German and American examples. I'll update the thread with the results.

Marzens are one of the perfect seasonal beers - the fully encapsulate what it means to drink on a cooler fall day.

I blame you. Your post didn't contain the word "Rauchbier" at all when mentioning Aecht Schlenkerla, now I know what you mean by "not exactly traditional." Generally not a style I enjoy, but this was drinkable.

3aec2029dc71e5f66742198beb6feb09_640x640.jpg

It hasn't been cool enough here yet for Marzens but I'm soldiering on with some Ayinger. Tried this year's Sierra Nevada and was unmoved but I'll revisit it--most likely I'm just missing last year's, which I thought was an excellent Marzen and just an excellent beer in general

So far this year I've had Revolution, Ayinger, Spaten, Sam Adams, Warsteiner, Scorched Earth, and New Glarus. Really liked New Glarus and was pleasantly surprised with Scorched Earth's as well. Went up there last Sunday, it was very easy drinking and I could have put back more than one if I wasn't driving. I would recommend Scorched Earth's if you're in the Chicago area and you see it on draft. Not too sweet, not too bitter, clean finish, just a very enjoyable beer.

Back