Mead Mead Reviews

Discussion in 'Whiskey, Wine & Other Booze' started by MordorMongo, Oct 11, 2013.

1. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

Creating this in hopes of keeping an ON TOPIC thread/database of users mead reviews. Doesn't have to be fancy or formatted all sweet and cuddly, just want a place for people to let us know what they've opened and what they thought.

I plan to pop a couple Kuhnhenns at a tasting tomorrow and will report back, but since it is Friday I thought maybe someone out there will be drinking a mead and need a place to let me know if they loved it long time.

Hopefully once we get a database of beers/reviews up here I will get my dream and we will have mead listings as well.

Let that sweet honey flow....

2. stupac2

stupac2

Had Kuhnhenns BB French Toast last weekend, and dear god does that mead smell amazing. If I did reviews, that smell would be an 11. Out of 5. Nothing else even compares.

What's sort of sad is that I think the flavor is sort of a letdown after the smell, even though it tastes great.

I don't drink a lot of mead, though, which is too bad. I'd love to go through Kuhnhenns's whole lineup.

3. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

4. mjshearer1

mjshearer1

[​IMG]

This is what Mango Magnifico was trying to go for.

Sweet and spicy scent to it, rich cherry and honey taste to it that leads to a smoldering burn of the chipotle. Just fantastic stuff, and dangerously drinkable.

5. JulianB

JulianB

I have a bottle of this at home, I can't wait. One thing I like about B. Nektar is that their stuff is pretty available near where I am (a few things are found in SC, lots more in NC), and by mead pricing standards I find it very reasonable. Rankings just of the ones I've had so far (I have Cherry Chipotle and Backwoods Cyser at home):

Zombie Killer > Necromangocon > Evil Genius > Black Fang > Wildberry Pyment > Strawberry Pizzaz > Margarita-Style Melomel

mjshearer1 likes this.
  6. JulianB

JulianB

[​IMG]

Here's a review of Zombie Killer I wrote recently (not the same drinking session as the photo above, which occurred at a hotel in Asheville). Apologies for the generic beer geek descriptive prose, I just started writing reviews recently when I'm drinking alone at home.

10/3/13, poured into a Deschutes teku.

A: Pours an attractive golden honey color with a tinge of cherry pink that darkens to a light ruby color as the glass fills. There’s only the thinnest head, which dissipates almost immediately. 3.5/5

S: The aroma has a subtle honey and fruit sweetness with a hint of cherry and some tart apple. It’s a very inviting smell that makes me want to delve in. 4.5/5

T: Applesauce, honey, and tart cherries come together is a delightful package. The sweet/tart combo makes it easy to keep drinking this. 4.5/5

M: Coats the mouth nicely and lingers for a while, but it’s not sticky or thick. Carbonation is relatively high and makes for a pleasant, somewhat refreshing drinking experience. 4/5

O: I’ve had several meads from B Nektar so far and this one is my favorite. 4.5/5

7. mjshearer1

mjshearer1

Zombie Killer is such a classic. Did you have the Zombies Take Manhattan yet?

8. JulianB

JulianB

Nope, that's on my to-get-and-drink list.

9. ExPimp

ExPimp

Um, yea... This shit is good. It has vanilla, honey, and just enough bourbon barrel to have me take it down it just under 10 minutes. Hurts my feels that I probably won't have something this good for awhile. Does anyone have any similar suggestions? Por favor?
    [​IMG]

10. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

Kuhnhenn pretty much owns that style/profile for meads. That's the good and bad part about craft meads, some are very unique to who brews them....not a whole lot of copy catting going on....yet.

jivex5k, Bill and Stuck_In_Iowa like this.
  11. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

Oh, fucked that up.....seek out BBFT (bourbon barrel French toast), it won't be EASY to get but they are out there and from sounds of it you will like it, a lot.

jivex5k and MarkIntihar like this.
  12. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Moderator Staff Member

So, umm.... this mead is fucking tasty as hell.

[​IMG]

GIANT honey notes, doesn't come through in the nose as much as the taste, but WOWZA it just blows up the tongue with dat sugar. One dimensional, perhaps, but fucking delicious. Would absolutely smash again/10

pdurrrr, sacrelicio, Kwad4Me and 3 others like this.
  13. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

One from Saturday tasting :

[​IMG]

Delightful mead, not crazy over the top strong flavors that Kuhnhenn sometimes flirts with. Soft, fairly sweet dessert mead, nice balance of cinnamon, apple and sweetness, touch or caramel as well. Very restrained and pretty much is exactly what the label implies. Sad I am down to one and if you like Kuhnhenn and haven't had this one, seek it out!

Cheers!

(Sorry didn't get a picture of the pour, I suck)

14. TomTwanks

TomTwanks

Why am I just seeing this thread?

15. claaark13

claaark13

Tastiness seconded. Tied for 2nd favorite mead I've had with Heart of Darkness. I've only had ~10 meads fwiw, but they've pretty much all been served by a mead-master, if that helps my street cred.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  16. TomTwanks

TomTwanks

Brothers Drake Chocolate Raspberry
    [​IMG]

At the release I thought this was "meh" but this really is a world class mead. Semi sweet with a nose of straight bakers chocolate with a hint of tart raspberry. Taste is definitely semi tart raspberry upfront with a lingering aftertaste of chocolate that keeps you begging for more.I'm really glad they didn't make this a sweet mead, I think that would have overwhelmed delicate flavors of the raspberries and muted the chocolate. Really really superb.

Edit - drank a couple degrees above room temp really let the chocolate be showcased

17. SmarterThanTheAvgBear

SmarterThanTheAvgBear

Im extra straight... but I could watch this for hours.

18. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

I had the b. nektar Cherry Chipotle mead yesterday and wasn't wowed. Hoping the miel de garde #1 does it for me. Not a avid mead drinker, but I've liked a few before.

19. Bill

Bill

Kurt's Apple Pie.

hopstar likes this.
  20. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

If you don't like miel de garde you will never like a good dessert mead. It is one of the best "plain" meads I've ever had.

jivex5k likes this.