Mead - the homebrew thread

Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by quirkzoo, Oct 25, 2013.

1. quirkzoo

quirkzoo

Any homebrewers on this board also make mead? Love to hear your thoughts, successes, failures, experiments, etc...

I got most of my basic info off of Homebrew talk's stickies, but I find the signal to noise ratio over there to be terrible.

I have made one batch of mead, dry mead, 12.5, 1 gallon of wildflower, 1 gallon of clover. Pretty happy with it overall. I aged half of the clover mead on cranberries and it turned out very good. I attempted to age half of the wildflower on "spices" (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, star anise) and came out way too heavy on the palate numbing spices. If I want to try a spiced mead in the future I think I will try using the tincture method instead.

I just picked up a small jar of honey at the local farmer's market (wildflower/alfalfa blend) and it has an amazingly rich flavor, definitely want to make some mead with it, thinking semi-sweet, straight mead. For anyone that has made a straight mead, do you add any tannins? I have heard a little bit of black tea goes a long way.

2. domtronzero

domtronzero

I've made a dozen-or-so batches of mead. I currently have 6 gallons of cyser in a fermenter ready to add 10 pounds of raspberries to. I am going to freeze-distill half of it (my first attempt at ice-mead).

I will occasionally brew an IPA or a hoppy pale ale or a stout, but since I brew so infrequently these days I tend to brew things that take several months or more to finish. Mostly meads and sours these days.

I've never added tannins but I do like to add some white-wine (or hard cider) soaked oak cubes (medium toast French oak) to the fermenters and let it sit. They tend to add a bit of tannic dryness to the finished product and a little bit of complexity from the oak.

3. sliverx

sliverx

quirkzoo Wanna borrow my compleate mead makers book?

Edit: I still owe Frank some of my meads. Lazy "trader" I am.

pdurrrr and domtronzero like this.
  4. quirkzoo

quirkzoo

domtronzero thanks for the response. I believe the oak cubes will add tannins so I might go that route with this next batch.

sliverx that would be awesome, I really enjoy reading good books on homebrew, perhaps we can setup a swap, I will message you.

Previously, sliverx and domtronzero like this.
  5. nedvalton

nedvalton

I have done 15 or so batches of mead ranging from dry tupelo, triple berry (raspberry, blackberry, blueberry), vanilla bean with wild flower honey, blueberry honey, galberry honey, .....
    I have never added tannin as I follow the keep it simple method. Water, nutrients, energizer, yeast, honey (no boil), camden
    Its served me well took first in dry category of domras cup with the tupelo

pdurrrr, CharlieMurphy and sliverx like this.
  6. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

7. vonnegut21

vonnegut21

Anyone have a favorite online mead-making resource they'd recommend?

8. rcubed

rcubed

Listen to the podcasts that Moonlight's Michael Fairbrother has done with Beer Smith and The Brewing Network. Lots a tips on mead making.

9. blatantdream

blatantdream

I make mini batches of mead. I kind of Frankenstein the recipes from different ones I find online. It's more manageable to go for 1 gallon batches for me since you can experiment more and when you don't have much room. It takes a lot longer to brew mead so I can get a few started at the same time as well. I normally use an unfiltered wildflower honey from Florida, 48oz for a one gallon batch. I've never tried adding spices but have done melomels. My blueberry mead was quite a hit and only took 3 months to make.

What kind of yeast is everyone using? I tend to use the LALVIN 71B-1122 “NARBONNE” which works well but I would like to try something different.

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  10. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4

Excited to see this. Reading up and hoping to make my first mead soon.

11. daysinthewake

daysinthewake

My first mead was bottled last week. A one gallon batch of the foolproof Joe's Ancient Orange Mead recipe. It tasted really good on bottling day. Now it will sit in bottles until Feb. I'll post the recipe if anybody is interested.

TomTwanks likes this.
  12. TomTwanks

TomTwanks

Very new in the mead making game but it has been very gratifying so far. Plan on making a sweet spiced cyser (Apple pie clone) and a coffee/toasted coconut/macadamia nut mead when I come back from vacation.
    Now if anyone of you assholes wanna send me 30-40# of honey as "extras" in a trade, let's work something out :rolleyes:

CharlieMurphy likes this.
  13. TomTwanks

TomTwanks

Gotmead.com is awesome. I also use homebrewtalk for research/brain storming

ltltony and vonnegut21 like this.
  14. vonnegut21

vonnegut21

Got drunk on mead last night and ordered a 1 gallon mead kit from Austin Homebrew along with Schramm's book. Guess I will be making mead sooner rather than later.

15. ExPimp

ExPimp

I've been doing some reading after experiencing my first mind blowing mead a few weeks ago, and I really want to give it a shot... I will be following this thread now as well.

claaark13 likes this.
  16. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

I am always available to critique your experiments. I have no shame in begging. Just sayin'.

jivex5k and claaark13 like this.
  17. vonnegut21

vonnegut21

Thinking of doing my first batch this weekend. From what I've read, people seem split between the boil/heat to at least 180F crowd and the don't bother crowd (Michael Fairbrother says nothing above 80F is necessary). What have you all had the best results with as far as temperature?

quirkzoo likes this.
  18. bum732

bum732

The only reason people heat honey is so it leaves the container easily. There is absolutely no reason to cook/boil honey for anti-microbial purposes. All it does is drive away those delicate aromatics present. There is a reason that 100 yr old honey exists and is still edible.

19. quirkzoo

quirkzoo

Agree with bum732, if everything else is clean no need to heat the honey warmer than it takes to get it out of the container.

Beerontwowheels and vonnegut21 like this.
  20. sliverx

sliverx

Beerontwowheels likes this.