Mead - the homebrew thread

Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by quirkzoo, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

axeman9182 = mind posting your recipe for the traditional that placed in NY regionals? Actually going to mix up my maplefoam honey into a traditional over the next few weeks. Interested in your starting/ending gravity and honey:water ratios.

Thinking 18lbs of honey, 3.75 gallons of water. Want an OG of 1.124 or so. I think that checks out.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    axeman9182, RLD, sliverx and 3 others like this.
  2. axeman9182

axeman9182

I made a 3 gallon batch with 11lbs of orange blossom honey. Don't know how much water I added, just that it brought the total volume of the must to 3 gallons. OG was 1.132 and it finished somewhere in the low 1.040s. I used 71b and basically followed Sergio's instructions on meadmaderight.com as closely as possible as far as yeast prep and nutrient regimen, and degassed twice a day for the first week. I've been cutting all my competition entry bottles with just a splash of water before submitting them.

3. doobiegoobie

doobiegoobie

Made a 6 gallon batch of a strawberry & peach mead with all local ingredients yesterday. I almost went with CostCo clover honey but decided to keep it as local as possible, so ended up spending a little extra. ~20# strawberries, ~15# peaches, 17.5# cotton honey. OG around 1.128, and hoping for it to finish with ~20 gravity points after fermenting. I used 20g 71B rehydrated with GoFerm, and hit it a couple of times with 30 sec of O2 last night, and might do that again this morning. I'll start the Fermaid O additions tonight. Been a while since I've made a mead so I'm exited for this one.

coldstorage, Gonzoillini, RLD and 8 others like this.
  4. RLD

RLD

CurrantC concentrate came in today. Thinking about mixing up a 3 gallon batch. I remember mjohnson17 said he used about 11-12oz per gallon. Really not sure on the amount of honey I should use because this stuff is super tart. I'm thinking I'll use around 4.25-4.50lbs of honey per gallon. Also picked up a 60lb pail of raw Orange Blossom honey last week for $180. Excited to see how much better mead this produces over the mediocre Dutch Gold honey I was using.

pdurrrr likes this.
  5. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

I used 64 ounces of CurrantC concentrate along with 18lbs orange blossom in a 5 gallon batch. Turned out great.

sliverx, RLD and FTowne like this.
  6. Jb123

Jb123

True story !

sliverx and RLD like this.
  7. abawol01

abawol01

bigk84 and RLD like this.
  8. kscaldef

kscaldef

So, I've got a few batches under my belt, and a question that I can't seem to find discussed anywhere. When I condition my meads before bottling, in addition to the lees dropping to the bottom in a distinct layer, I've also developed a second layer above that of cloudier liquid. When I transfer off the lees, I've isolated and tasted that liquid and it's much sweeter than the rest of the mead, as if some of the unfermented honey is coming out of solution and settling at the bottom.

As I've said, I've looked in book and various forums and can't seem to find discussion of this phenomenon. Is this something that other people experience as well? Is there a trick to keeping all the sugar in solution?

mjohnson17, FTowne and Gonzoillini like this.
  9. RLD

RLD

I noticed I sometimes get some layering in my bottles. Seems to happen more with my melomels. Half inch or so on the bottom of a 750ml bottle ends up being turbid and more sweet. I was taking a look at my B4 black agnes bottle the other day and it also had a similar turbid layer on the bottom. Not sure exactly what causes this. Maybe it's the fruit?

Gonzoillini and FTowne like this.
  10. RLD

RLD

[​IMG]

This is the b4 agnes bottle I described above. My black currant mead has an identical layer. Maybe just not quite as much.

11. kscaldef

kscaldef

Interesting. I generally keep my schramms bottles horizontal, so it's probably hard to notice any layering, but I'll have to look closely at some of them. That said, I've seen this layering in the carboys of my traditionals as well as melomels.

12. mjohnson17

mjohnson17

Depends on where you want your end product to end up. The concentrated currants are super tart. If you're looking for a sweeter taste you definitely want to use a LOT of honey (or backsweeten, which I'm personally not a fan of). The currants are going to dry out your mead even more than letting it ferment completely. I think I used about 5# per gallon of honey. I also suggest Orange Blossom since it has more of a sweeter citrus taste. It will help balance with the currants.

rcubed, RLD and FTowne like this.
  13. mjohnson17

mjohnson17

Is what you're seeing exactly like what RLD showed in his Black Agnes bottle? If you're making melomels with fruit more than likely its fruit particulates. That will drop out over time, week, or months. You can drink/bottle it, but it doesn't make for the best product. I sometimes bottle one or two for an R&D bottle, but other times I'll bottle a 5 gal batch up to the point that I hit that sludge. Then transfer that sludge to a smaller carboy, like a gallon, and let it sit for a few months. Often times more particles will drop out of suspension and you can get another few clean bottles out of it with some patients.

RLD and FTowne like this.
  14. brokensail

brokensail

I've been looking into making mead for a couple months and skimming through this thread as I used to homebrew but I got rid of almost all of my equipment as there isn't really a good place to keep or use it in my current apartment situation. Mead, however, I think I can manage as I really just need a couple small buckets and jugs (plan on making 1 - 2 gallon batches).

I'm still debating what I actually want to make, and I am leaning toward something relatively high gravity and on the sweeter side. Maybe along the lines of a Trójniak, but I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out my yeast strain. Getting a lot of conflicting or just seemingly bad information with searches. Has anyone here tried to brew a traditional Polish-style mead?

15. mjohnson17

mjohnson17

Did a few mead things this weekend.

Bottled a little batch of bi-floral traditional
    [​IMG]

Transferred a blueberry melomel (handpicked wild blueberries) to secondary.
    [​IMG]

Started primary on a strawberry (berries from my garden).
    [​IMG]