Mead - the homebrew thread

Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by quirkzoo, Oct 25, 2013.

1. doobiegoobie

doobiegoobie

How much you thinking? It's probably more, but it seems like Schramms goes for 10#/gallon. Seems kind of wild but I think I'm gonna go for it. Just gotta do some more research first to make sure I don't waste that much amazing fruit

buzzword and Gonzoillini like this.
  2. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

At 10lbs per gallon of mead, you would probably have to start getting creative with your fermenter choice (or split the batch). Even at 4lbs/gallon, for a 5 gallon batch, an 8 gallon bucket was cutting it close. At 10#/gallon, you'd probably need a 15 gallon carboy/bucket (hello Speidel!).

3. RLD

RLD

doobiegoobie Pretty sure I remember Naegerbomb saying Schramm's uses around 6lbs+ of fruit per gallon. Seen a post on facebook from Four Fires meadery recently that one of their new batches has 11-12lbs of fruit per gallon. How is that even possible haha?

buzzword and doobiegoobie like this.
  4. Phischy

Phischy

Does it seriously take that much fruit? Even at 6#/gallon that seems like a crazy amount.

RLD likes this.
  5. doobiegoobie

doobiegoobie

Ahh good call. I only got a free 6.5 gal big mouth, so I'm going to mix my honey in water for ~2 total gallons, then just add fruit until it's full. We'll see how much that turns out to be!

I thought they used more, but Schramm's is (very understandably) pretty tight lipped about recipes. But yeah, that's a shit ton of fruit regardless. I wonder if these places are just adding honey to fruit puree. I've heard Steve Piatz say that on average 10# of fruit will yield 1 gallon of water. So they can't be adding much, if any, water to a 10#/gallon batch. But ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sliverx and Beerontwowheels like this.
  6. doobiegoobie

doobiegoobie

I ended up starting a batch with local stone fruit and orange blossom honey. Turns out you can get ~50# into a 6.5 gal big mouth bubbler (~ 15# apricots, 12# ranger peaches, 20# hale haven peaches, 2.5# nectarines). Barely. It's right up to the top but the fruit is still pretty frozen so I'm going to get it a few hours to let it thaw and condense a bit before adding everything else. I just hope I can fit my 2 gallons of liquid in there. Kiiiiinda nervous
    [​IMG]

7. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

Degassing gon' be like dis mang:

[​IMG]

8. doobiegoobie

doobiegoobie

Oh I'm 100% going to lose some liquid. Just gonna keep a towel around it and hope degassing like 6x a day is going to help.
    [​IMG]

But I ended up getting all my honey in! So that's nice.

jvanaus, buzzword, axeman9182 and 9 others like this.
  9. Jas45678

Jas45678

I don't believe you...post a pic:)

10. doobiegoobie

doobiegoobie

I'll try to get one in a bit. Gotta overcome being drunk and lazy though :)

Anyone have experience making a coffee mead? I got 14# of this really cool coffee honey that has some gorgeous toffee and carmel flavors going on. I'm thinking about fermenting with RC212 to bring out berry notes, and then get a berry-forward coffee, and then maybe aging on actual berries. I'm going to ferment once I get some more GoFerm and then figure the rest out later, though.

buzzword, Gonzoillini, bum732 and 3 others like this.
  11. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

No experience there, but I'm intrigued.

Update on my traditional - mixed it up on 8/3, 11 gallons split into two 6.5G carboys, both read out at 1.130 OG. Gravity samples so far have been:

8/06: 1.112 (2.4%)
    8/08: 1.100 (4.0%)
    8/12: 1.060 (9.5%)

Looking for at least another 30 points, and would be thrilled if the yeast quit at 1.026 (14%). Quick temp check before gravity reading shows the mead is chilling at 65° in my keezer/ferm chamber.

Took my first ever legit (not paper strips) pH reading today (MW102) and it revealed the mead is sitting at 3.27pH. Seems on par as research shows most meads finish fermentation somewhere between 3.0 - 3.2. Going to cross my fingers and hope my SNA regimen (Travis Blount Elliot schedule) keeps the yeast healthy enough to finish out.

Early impressions are that my split of 71B & D47 might not have been the best yeasts to ferment with since I was looking to retain some of the marshmallow/maple traits of the MeadowMaple honey. I kind of figured this but wanted to stick with yeasts I was familiar with given this honey wasn't cheap. Still...tastes great so far (fruitier than what I had in my head though) and I think it will taste great once it comes out of a barrel a few months down the road.

jvanaus, buzzword, axeman9182 and 8 others like this.
  12. jvanaus

jvanaus

I know bochets have been discussed briefly, and wiltznucs coined his bochetomel phrase earlier in this thread with raspberries (also tasted at Huna day last year - it was spectacular), but I'm toying with the idea of a strawberry bochet.

I wasn't able to find much online about strawberries and caramelized honey, and I'm not entirely sure the flavors would meld very well. Only toying with a one gallon batch - starting with three lbs of cheap-o Costco clover honey, add water to the one gallon mark after caramelizing the honey, then one lb of strawberries in primary.

Terrible idea?

Gonzoillini and elkhunter36 like this.
  13. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

I'd drink it. I haven't had a bochet, nevermind made one though.

jvanaus likes this.
  14. jvanaus

jvanaus

I'm convinced.

I've heard a crockpot caramelizes honey easily and in the least painful way possible - so I think that'll be my first try. Definitely don't want molten lava honey burning the hell out of my hands.

15. elkhunter36

elkhunter36

This might help if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.meadmakr.com/mc35-pro-bochet-tips-so-you-dont-botch-it/

16. jvanaus

jvanaus

Very interesting podcast so far - thanks for the share. I think it's very interesting how he says they back-sweeten using a second batch of caramelized honey after fermentation is done. Sounds like a great idea if the first taste doesn't get you where you want it to be.

Gonzoillini and elkhunter36 like this.