Mental Health

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by The Coming of Gose, May 12, 2016.

1. The Coming of Gose

The Coming of Gose

At the risk of starting yet another controversial topic, I think this one is a really good idea. Mrs. RedCoffee is a therapist and her work usually reminds me that May is Mental Health Awareness Month.

As someone who has dealt with "some shit" myself in the past and have personally known people who succumbed to mental illness, I just wanted to have a topic where it could be said unequivocally that there are people here in this community who have your back. If you're dealing with "some shit" then don't deal with it alone. Find a resource to help you through it.

Anyway, I don't necessarily have a purpose for this topic. I just want to make sure people in this community know they are supported.

2. Pneill316

Pneill316

My ex is bat shit crazy, does that count? I got a therapist and all to help me confirm that.

3. vav

vav

So much yes.

tosh, Ispeakforthetrees and mateoloco like this.
  4. Josh

Josh

In all seriousness, it's so necessary to raise the awareness of mental health and the availability of professionals capable of helping you work through your issues.
    In my experience, most people are afraid of being labeled "crazy" by their community if they seek professional help. So they dont. It's unfortunate as you often hear of a tragedy attached to these individuals.

5. nsh221

nsh221

i'll bite, at my own peril. i had a severe tbi 20ish months ago. recovery has been a fucked, ongoing strangeness and even though i had people tell me that the recovery process could include a mental health aspect, i didn't really want to hear it initially. talkbeer has been a help - drinking vicariously when i can't actually drink, seeing a nice community at work and meeting a few random new people. but yeah, it still seems a topic to dance around.

OP said he didn't really have a purpose for the topic but just having the conversation is doing something.

6. nsh221

nsh221

edit: twenty eight months ago. see? tbis are fun! wear your helmet, kids.

[​IMG]

jtmartino, GuzzleMcBrew, tosh and 8 others like this.
  7. The Coming of Gose

The Coming of Gose

Hey I'm all about it. If people want to talk it out here (whatever it may be) I think we're a great group and would be very supportive of anyone. TalkBeer is pretty great in that regard - we have compassion for our own.

I say all of this, provided everyone is clear that nothing said in this topic constitutes actual mental health advice or treatment. No one go and stop taking your meds because some asshole on TalkBeer told you to, okay? I don't want to get banned, please.

8. Pneill316

Pneill316

The voices on TalkBeer told me to do it.....

9. evilc

evilc

Jnorton00 likes this.
  10. mateoloco

mateoloco

I've been pondering starting a post similar to this for weeks now. We have a getting healthy thread, which is great, but it focuses mainly on physical health. I mainly did not because I'm a private person and use TalkBeer as a place to goof off and send beer escape from the realities of mental illness--and I know that even though I have an avatar and username, I'm not really anonymous. And most of what I have to say about my saga with mental health isn't about me but someone very close to me (I will continue to be purposefully vague to maintain a veneer of anonymity).

Although I have run many marathons and ultramarathons and even a few 100 mile races, the greatest test of endurance I have faced has been sticking with and supporting someone very close to me who is mentally ill. Unlike a race, where every step forward brings one closer to the finish line and rest and a feeling of accomplishment, it often feels like there is no end in sight and no rest for the weary. I have had to be vigilant about my own mental health, being on meds and in therapy myself, in order to cope with the challenges of supporting someone who is mentally ill. That being said, that person is also vigilant and proactive--med compliance has never been an issue and this person undoubtedly works harder than myself and has dealt with shit I can barely imagine. I just hope and pray that there is light at the end of the tunnel for both of us because it has been dark for a long fucking time.

A bit of backstory--this person's mental health had always been a struggle but a manageable one. Although it at time led to a rocky academic and work history, they were able to graduate and teach full-time at an elementary school for several years. But 4 years ago the bottom fell out and I saw the inside of far too many hospitals and institutions (many of which were woefully ill equipped to really treat their patients). Thankfully I had family who could financially afford a good place to get longer term treatment that was actually effective. After several months, they were healthy enough to leave and gradually return to their life. Full-time work is not in the cards anymore, but part-time work at a preschool provides structure and interaction. But any sense of joy and happiness seems to have been lost (hopefully not forever).

Anyway, the best resource I can provide for someone is the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). It has lots of informational resources in print and online and it has support groups for both consumers (i.e., the people who are mentally ill) as well as groups for family members and caregivers.

Based on the numbers, there are a lot of TBers who deal with mental illness either directly or indirectly. Hopefully this thread can avoid the humor and provide some help. Who else wants to speak up?

11. PepeSylvia

PepeSylvia

My wife is a psychologist, and I work for a human services company. I am just IT, but been there for 15+ years now. We have everything from schools for autistic kids, group homes for adults with mental illness, to a company that specializes in the deaf population who also happen to have mental illness. Betwee my wife and other family members practicing in this field, I am very aware of the disease. I hope I can actually add something valuable to this thread, but mostly appreciate how this will help to promote awareness.

12. quirk6

quirk6

Before she retired my mother in law was an accountant for Devereux outside Scranton. Something similar, yeah?

13. ScottJWing

ScottJWing

I work for our state dept of mental health and addiction services. I do program evaluation and research for a lot of our state programs and federal grants. There is a long way to go towards increasing access, getting rid of the stigma, etc. but there is a lot of good stuff going on and positive change being made. Peer support is one of my areas of focus, this thread is right on the money.

Sidenote: some day i want to do research on co-occurring disorders in the beer community, there cant be as much shitlorderry in our hobby without that as an explanation.

14. PepeSylvia

PepeSylvia

She has her own private practice.

quirk6 likes this.
  15. hannydawg

hannydawg

16. HenrikO

HenrikO

Totally missed this thread.

So much of this in my family (I have been spared, thankfully - but I _would_ say that, right? ;-) ) and circle of friends. Depression, bipolar, autistic spectrum disorder, you name it, I've seen it up close so I know how destructive it can be, not just to the sufferer but to those up close as well. But I've also seen stuff that make me hopeful - you can have one of these disorders and still live a good life, provided you can get help and support. And totally agree that more awareness is needed - too many people just don't "get it".

Shoutouts to everyone in this thread!

17. jivex5k

jivex5k

I feel like I'm getting dumber as I age. I have no patience for learning anymore, used to really strive learn how to code/make music/etc... These days I just seem to focus on video games and old seinfeld/simpsons episodes, and my attention span is fucking gone. At the core of it all is the loss of desire, I used to really want to learn new shit.

Scalzo and jmgrub like this.
  18. evilc

evilc

You are getting dumber. As soon as you're born, you're dying. ( c. Iron Maiden, The Clairvoyant)

[​IMG]

PSUMike, furley, quirk6 and 1 other person like this.
  19. The Coming of Gose

The Coming of Gose

[​IMG]

Depression is a horrible motherfucker for everyone involved.

20. The Coming of Gose

The Coming of Gose

Hey turns out it's almost May again. Bump to remind everyone who needs to hear it: hang in there.

sacrelicio, Treebs, MrDave and 10 others like this.