Mexican Cake Release

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgh_penguins

Reaction score
So it looks like the release will be sometime next week. Anyone have more details on the release or distribution? I would like to drive down to grab some bottles, I just need to plan accordingly.

Let me see what I can find out. I'm not sure what's the easiest route for you, but if you're coming down I-95 Florence might be the closest place. Would love to share some beers and show you the new brewery here.

Last year we got something like 20 cases and my local store held multiples back for me. I don't see any reason why it would be worse this year.

Let me see what I can find out. I'm not sure what's the easiest route for you, but if you're coming down I-95 Florence might be the closest place. Would love to share some beers and show you the new brewery here.

Last year we got something like 20 cases and my local store held multiples back for me. I don't see any reason why it would be worse this year.
Florence will get Mexican Cake? Did it sit on shelves for long? Moving to Florence at the end of the month, trying to feel out if I would be able to get Mexican Cake

Any Westbrook Gose in Florence? I've got to head down there sometime next week for a work meeting and was hoping I could find some. I'm not familiar with Florence at all.

Florence will get Mexican Cake? Did it sit on shelves for long? Moving to Florence at the end of the month, trying to feel out if I would be able to get Mexican Cake

Last year it sat around for weeks after the release until some guy from Hartsville bought it all (and not to trade it or anything either, seriously just to drink it). He blew like a thousand bucks on the rest of the cases they had! By then I'd already bought about 2.5 of them so I didn't care.

Any Westbrook Gose in Florence? I've got to head down there sometime next week for a work meeting and was hoping I could find some. I'm not familiar with Florence at all.

It's been coming in and out. Last week the main local store got like 6 cases, no idea how much is left. I bought one, a friend bought 2, etc. Sending you a PM in a few.

By the way, with regards to the release in general, I'd heard people saying (with no source to back it up) that it would be released on Cinco de Mayo, but that clearly didn't happen as it's not in the Westbrook tasting room based on either their social media or their website. Wouldn't be shocked if it's soon-ish though.

What are some good bottle shops in Florence? This is not for the Mexi Cake release, my wife's from there and we will be there later this summer. Thanks.

What are some good bottle shops in Florence? This is not for the Mexi Cake release, my wife's from there and we will be there later this summer. Thanks.

The Micky Finn's location on Pamplico Highway is the best one in town. You probably won't find much amazing/limited stuff but there's usually a solid selection of things to drink and they do get a good assortment of Westbrook offerings including all the cans.

The Micky Finn's location on Pamplico Highway is the best one in town. You probably won't find much amazing/limited stuff but there's usually a solid selection of things to drink and they do get a good assortment of Westbrook offerings including all the cans.
Thanks man. Pretty sure that's where the beer for my wedding came from.

Mexican Cake is being released at the brewery tomorrow (Friday, May 23rd). $12/bottle, case limit per customer. Should be going into distro next week or so.

Talked to a distributor about this today and it sounds like a distribution **** show could be imminent. I'll do my best to get what I can but suffice to say I don't know how much if any I'll be able to get. Anyone who wants this in quantity may want to hit Westbrook itself, which I'm not planning to do.

Mexican Cake is being released at the brewery tomorrow (Friday, May 23rd). $12/bottle, case limit per customer. Should be going into distro next week or so.

Case limit per customer on any of their 22oz bottles. SC law.

They need to do Mexican Cake + roasted/toasted coconut. Regular and barrel-aged.

So much complaining about this release on that other site and on Facebook. I'm so glad I'm starting to care less and less about chasing specific limited releases.
Not sure what the f!@# people are whining and bitching about. I was there and everything went smoothly. Seems like NoMoreBeerBelly is the only one who got 6 bottles and still bitched and moaned about it. Everybody else who got some bottles are happy with the way it went.

Last edited:
Not sure what the f!@# people are whining and bitching about. I was there and everything went smoothly. Seems like NoMoreBeerBelly is the only one who got 6 bottles and still bitched and moaned about it. Everybody else who got some bottles are happy with the way it went.

Thank you...glad to actually hear someone enjoyed the event as Westbrook worked extremely hard to get everyone through the MexCake line and out of the heat as soon as possible.

Thank you...glad to actually hear someone enjoyed the event as Westbrook worked extremely hard to get everyone through the MexCake line and out of the heat as soon as possible.

Yeah I didn't go but everyone I know who did made it sound like it went really smoothly given how unexpectedly long the line was. No idea why so many people feel the need to complain. Still amazed this was crazier than it was for the BMPs given that those were barrel-aged.

Also the most ridiculous thing in that thread is the guy complaining about the BAMC release. That was the best and most relaxed limited bottle release I've been to, along with various Wicked Weed releases.

I heard everyone that was there within the first hour or so was able to get their bottles. Most of the people I know were first-tenth in line and were able to go back through the line (WB let them).

Although, I know of a few people that got 20-30 bottles, but that was only due to others in line selling them for pours of MC or someone buying a bottle for them.

Apparently (I'm not in town due to traveling) one the local stores got this in today and is charging $19 per bottle. Now I don't know where in the distribution chain the gouging is taking place so I'm not placing any blame, but I can guarantee you I'm not paying that for a non barrel-aged stout. It's actually quite liberating to not care enough about most releases these days so as to not allow myself to be gouged.

Apparently (I'm not in town due to traveling) one the local stores got this in today and is charging $19 per bottle. Now I don't know where in the distribution chain the gouging is taking place so I'm not placing any blame, but I can guarantee you I'm not paying that for a non barrel-aged stout. It's actually quite liberating to not care enough about most releases these days so as to not allow myself to be gouged.

Just saw that Parabola came to NYC today. One store already sold out. They're probably charging stupid prices and all I can think is

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/121/234/LOOK_AT_ALL_THE_****S_I_GIVE.gif?1304869942

Just saw that Parabola came to NYC today. One store already sold out. They're probably charging stupid prices and all I can think is

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/121/234/LOOK_AT_ALL_THE_****S_I_GIVE.gif?1304869942

Ironically my first thought when someone told me $19 for Mexican Cake was "I could get a case of Parabola shipped from a west coast friend and pay less per bottle even after shipping".

**** a duck, that thread at the other place is still going.

So much complaining about this release on that other site and on Facebook. I'm so glad I'm starting to care less and less about chasing specific limited releases.
This is what I wrote over there, specifically in reference to how the release itself was handled, and I've heard nothing to dissuade me from this perspective on how the release worked:

Thinking back on yesterday, I'm not sure Westbrook could have changed much about the release to make it work out any better. They received unprecedented demand and did a good job getting people in and out with their bottles efficiently. These guys were seriously busting their asses to get people through the line and were sweating as much as anyone who had been standing outside. It's also not like they had to turn away hundreds of people -- the line had dwindled to a few dozen by the time they ran out, and there will be plenty of options for local pickup before long.

I heard everyone that was there within the first hour or so was able to get their bottles. Most of the people I know were first-tenth in line and were able to go back through the line (WB let them).
WB specifically announced that people were not allowed to get back in line to get more bottles at ~5pm. So they probably only double sold to anyone if they didn't realize the person had already been through line, but then again it's not like they were marking people's foreheads with a black X after they'd bought their first six.

I think breweries need to reduce bottle limits. Not only will this prevent some out-of-towners from making the trip because it's not worth it, but it gets the beer to more people. Make the bottle limit 1 or 2, then allow people to get back in line. If there aren't that many people there you can get as much as you want if you're on time. If you're not, you're out of luck.

This is probably a discussion for another time, sorry.

**** a duck, that thread at the other place is still going.

This is what I wrote over there, specifically in reference to how the release itself was handled, and I've heard nothing to dissuade me from this perspective on how the release worked:

Thinking back on yesterday, I'm not sure Westbrook could have changed much about the release to make it work out any better. They received unprecedented demand and did a good job getting people in and out with their bottles efficiently. These guys were seriously busting their asses to get people through the line and were sweating as much as anyone who had been standing outside. It's also not like they had to turn away hundreds of people -- the line had dwindled to a few dozen by the time they ran out, and there will be plenty of options for local pickup before long.

WB specifically announced that people were not allowed to get back in line to get more bottles at ~5pm. So they probably only double sold to anyone if they didn't realize the person had already been through line, but then again it's not like they were marking people's foreheads with a black X after they'd bought their first six.
They knew they had been through already, but the one guy had a ***** fit so they benefited. They only asked that they not get 6 more.

**** a duck, that thread at the other place is still going

Just read through it and holy **** are you right. I feel bad for rbradley (who is easily one of the nicest and most generous guys I've met in beer;, does nothing but offer pours of great stuff to you for no other reason than you're friendly and don't give him or the breweries he's helping out a hard time) for having to deal with that crap over there.

I love how both locals ("you guys suck because I couldn't make it over there by the time I got off work before it sold out!{) and non-locals ("my mule drove 4 hours and was shut out!" or "I'm only in town this weekend and didn't get any!") are bitching about the release.

Just read through it an holy **** are you right. I feel bad for rbradley (who is easily one of the nicest and most generous guys I've met in beer;, does nothing but offer pours of great stuff to you for no other reason than you're friendly and don't give him or the breweries he's helping out a hard time) for having to deal with that crap over there.
I hate the fact that most breweries have to deal with people that are similar to the ones posting in that thread.. From what i've heard people who were there by 530ish (maybe 6) got their allotment. In the end they couldn't predict the outcome of people, and I doubt they were holding anything back, since in the end they are a business that wants to sell their product.

The things I found funniest was the entitlement and fact that most of the first people in line were out-of-staters. If a person can manage to make it from another state, hours away, why can't someone that is say 20mins or more away?

If someone can afford to take the day off work (or isn't working that day, or whatever) to spend it on chasing beer then I bear no ill will towards them at all. As a professor who has a very haphazard schedule, sometimes I can do that, sometimes I can't. If I can, good for me. If I can't, good for others. I just will not let myself be gouged on pricing. That doesn't mean breweries can't raise the price of beers (I have no problem with Westbrook charging $12/bottle this year). What it means is I won't pay $19/bottle when the Black Magic Panthers (barrel-aged, and better than Mexican Cake on taste) cost me less. On the other hand I'll gladly throw down for BAMC at Westbrook's pricing, assuming it's on a Friday like it was last year and not totally outrageous.

I will NEVER skip/call in sick to work for beer, I can tell you that much.

Back