Other Booze Mezcal

Discussion in 'Whiskey, Wine & Other Booze' started by mjohnson17, Aug 26, 2014.

1. mjohnson17

mjohnson17

Any Mezcal lovers out there? It's not that popular of a spirit and I don't know much about it other than the basics and that I really love it. Typically when at a bar or restaurant that specialized in Tequilas I try to sample any mezcal they have.

From what I've experienced I know I'm a big fan of the wild harvested maguey as opposed to estate harvested. The wild harvested plants seem to evoke more fruity flavors like mango and papaya that balance nicely with the smokiness to create what appears to be a more subtle and complex drink.

Unfortunately I haven't paid close enough attention to the brands and/or producers which I've sampled so I can't name which ones I've really enjoyed. But i'm going to make a conscious effort to in the future.

Does anyone else have any opinions? Suggestions? Experiences?

2. bathroomlaughter

bathroomlaughter

i have only had a few but what i've had i've really liked. i was fascinated by it for a long time before i had it because of under the volcano and was not disappointed. my first taste was at ad hoc in napa, they had a cocktail made with del maguey (dunno which one), grilled peaches, and bbq bitters that was by far the best cocktail i've ever had. i bought a bottle of del maguey chichicapa and it's fantastic.

del maguey is probably what you've had and that seems to be the standard for good mezcal available in america. this site http://caddellwilliams.com/whiskey-mezcal/ has some interesting looking stuff that i'd like to try some day.

tikk and mjohnson17 like this.
  3. dridge11

dridge11

Mezcal Vago is awesome stuff, I really like the one they do called Espadin. IIRC, on the 3rd distillation, they add a bit of roasted corn that's grown on the property to the mix...just gives it the slightest touch of flavor. Cool stuff.

pkeigan and mjohnson17 like this.
  4. nanobrew

nanobrew

I am a big Mezcal fan. I enjoy going to this festival. I currently have an IPA sitting on some oak and mezcal that I will keg this next week (only on the oak for about 1 week).

Beerontwowheels and mjohnson17 like this.
  5. bearsonacid

bearsonacid

I like mezcal a lot but can't really keep track of the one's I've had. I really love it in cocktails and want to make them at home. Anyone know a good one to use for mixing and maybe drinking by itself that is easy to find?

mjohnson17 likes this.
  6. stxSS07

stxSS07

Singapore Slings, mezcal on the side.

That is the extent of my knowledge, but would definitely like to sample.

GhostOfGaspar, Frank and mjohnson17 like this.
  7. pjl44

pjl44

In the same boat as everyone else...love it but not well versed. I know that I've liked any of the Del Magueys I've tried. I can't find the recipe online, but a bar in the Boston area (Saloon in Davis Square) made two different Oaxaca Old Fashioneds that are now off-menu but available if the right bartender(s) is/are there. For the first, I only remember mezcal and habanero bitters...definitely missing something. The second is a "traditional" one that seems relatively easy to find a recipe for...tequila, mezcal, agave nectar, and mole or Angostura bitters. While they can make both, I far prefer the former.

mjohnson17 likes this.
  8. mjohnson17

mjohnson17

My guess for good mixing mezcals would be just like most good mixing spirits, you probably don't want to buy the really expensive ones. Also probably don't want the anajo or repasado either since it would probably be a waste. I'm thinking some just some blanco.

9. mjohnson17

mjohnson17

Interesting fact a about mezcal that I learned from this bartender who was the most knowledgeable person I've ever met on the subject of mezcal. The worm: is actually moth larva that typically lives on the agave plant. And apparently top-quality mezcal don't contain the worm. This girl knew her stuff.

10. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster

Make Mezcal Great Again.

I was Mexico on vacation part of last week and part of this week. My wife likes to stay at all inclusive resorts so we don't venture into places with more exotic spirit options (or buying opportunities). They had a couple mezcals, unfortunately both pretty cheap (which had me drinking Don Julio blanco most of the trip). I don't remember the name of one but the other was El Recuerdo Joven, which seems like a fairly widespread brand in Mexico. It was reasonably smooth and flavorful for what appears to be about a $20 bottle.

In the Cancun airport there was lots of Tequila (picked up a bottle of Aha Toro anejo) but few really nice mezcals. Picked up a bottle of Xure blanco for $40. Easily the best mezcal I've ever had and I could see it selling for considerably more in the states. The reposado was the same price with the anejo at $50. It was buy two get one free which I almost did except I already had a full basket. The blanco is mellow AF with rich smokiness, lemon, orange and light phenolic spices.

nanobrew likes this.
  11. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

tried this the other day. supposedly made from some rare agave species. crazy butterscotch aspect to it over the usual smoky yuminess. Worth a try but i don't think i would enjoy much more than a little bit in a sitting.

these days my go to is 100% espidin alipus.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  12. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster

That's quite dark for a joven.

13. golden

golden

Picked this thing up last Winter in Pescadero. Delicious chased with both types of salt (worm and cricket) on an orange .