US - Great Lakes Michigan's Upper Peninsula Travel Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by MarcatGSB, Feb 2, 2014.

1. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB

Yah, new website shortly after you were there last year.

The 3rd of July we have a huge Short's tap takeover every year, and it continues the 4th. The hotel is booked the fourth, but I don't think it is the third.
    Camping is allowed on the beach on the fourth if you wanted to say for the festivities. 3 or 4 bands on the fourth, couple tiki bars, 15 Shorts on tap, and $3,000 worth of fireworks. Great party.

At_One315 and adamdd like this.
  2. At_One315

At_One315

Damn, the Short's taps alone is worth coming up and then add everything on top + good food and good company!!! I am already committed to a family gathering for the holiday, otherwise my ass would be planted in a tent on the beach. I think we are going to aim for the 3rd weekend in July, I forgot about some other engagements for late June. Should be booking a room soon.

I think next year I am going to plan on being up there for the 4th!!!

MarcatGSB likes this.
  3. At_One315

At_One315

Forgot to add...the website looks kick-ass!!!

MarcatGSB likes this.
  4. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB

Thanks brotha!

5. Rempo

Rempo

Since this thread doesn't have enough Fitzgerald's Hotel and Restaurant praise, I'll add some. Four nights in July. Wonderful food, drinks, room, service, and atmosphere. Thanks again, Marc!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll get more pics once I upload the rest. Happy to tell anyone I know about this place.

adamdd, At_One315, Sender1 and 2 others like this.
  6. adamdd

adamdd

Just because I like to pile on to all the praise of MarCat, Mike, and the Fitz in general, here is a nice thrillist list of the 10 Best Bars Outside of Detroit. Some usual suspects are included like Hopcat, 7Monks, Crunchy's, and....wait...what's that last place included on the list? Damn straight it's the Fitz.

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/detroit/best-michigan-bars-outside-of-detroit

MarcatGSB, At_One315 and Rempo like this.
  7. At_One315

At_One315

And for very good reason. Marc, Mike, and crew are doing some phenomenal things in an amazing area!!!

Here's a few pics I have taken up there (which barely scratch the surface!)

View of the "side yard"-

[​IMG]

View off the back deck-

[​IMG]

View from our bedroom-

[​IMG]

Lastly, Marc and the smoker-

[​IMG]

Rempo, Gonzoillini, jarrgal and 3 others like this.
  8. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB

Omg look at that mop! That's from last summer Nick!

You guys are too kind. We love what we do, simple as that.

At_One315 and jeblikesbeer like this.
  9. tommyz

tommyz

Ill be heading to the UP sometime during the week of Sept 8-13 And definately stopping by the Eagle river inn..Dont know the days as we are just spur of the moment and we are riding the motorcycle, so im not riding through a driving rain...But im pumped for it MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB likes this.
  10. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB

Might have some BBPT5th on still...

tommyz likes this.
  11. SeaWatchman

SeaWatchman

I'm more of a fan of Michigan's lower peninsula ;)

12. Michigan

Michigan

[​IMG]

gregkoko, Sender1 and SeaWatchman like this.
  13. GRDave

GRDave

Not directly related, but kinda related since it's in the UP, but is anyone heading to the UP Fall Beerfest in Marquette? This will be my first. Heading up with some friends on Friday and staying until Monday. I hear it's way more laid back then the winter beerfest, which I've been to all but one.

14. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB

The Fall Beerfest in Marquette is hands down the best beer fest. I love the Winter Fest, but it's much less people (3500) this year, as opposed to 3,000 the last few...It's on the water, and the brewers love it. It's an actual vacation for them!

Enjoy!

15. GRDave

GRDave

Wow, well that was a trip. I agree MarcatGSB , UP Beerfest is something special. The location, the weather, the attitude, all unique. It was busy though, but I got in at noon with the VIPs. I went up with a couple friends and on Sunday made the drive all the way up to Copper Harbor to check out Brickside (great little place), then drove up to Brockway Mountain and got to see this..

[​IMG]

We're gonna make it a week long trip next year.

BulkCarrier and lambandtunaphish like this.
  16. At_One315

At_One315

Just wait til you go up Brockway during Fall colors....simply amazing!

17. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB

You came all the way up here and didn't stop in to see me?!? Next time.

GRDave likes this.
  18. GRDave

GRDave

Oh I wanted to trust me, but I was with others who were itching to get back to Marquette. We met up with a gent from Ore Dock at Keweenaw Brewing (Joe?) that was also heading up, and hitting all the same breweries on the way. Pretty sure he said that his final stop was to drop some beer off at your place. I'll be bringing the wife next year, and it will be a week long trip. We'll likely plan for at least one night at the Eagle.

MarcatGSB likes this.
  19. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB

Legit excuse! Haha, good to hear man. Yah, Joe T, baby blue eyes with a million dollar smile?

20. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB

When should we do this Talk Beer weekend at The Fitz?, serious question.

I have a four year vertical of BCBS starting in 11, Vanilla, Coffee, and BW 1/6th barrels and a quarter of CBS (among other things). I want to share them with all of you.
    Probably won't crack all of these for the weekend, but would either do the A) Vertical B)Variants C)CBS/KBS/Backwoods and some sort of other surprises.
    Thoughts, concerns, what weekends work best, who's interested, music, Thursday-Sun, Fri-Mon, what what?

In my mind, we pick a weekend, On Thursday shut the dining room down after like 7 o clock, put out a bunch of smoked meats, have someone play some music for us, and drink till the wee hours. Keep the beers on tap all weekend for everyone to enjoy, but still open the restaurant for normal service. We have 12 rooms...each with two beds. So all couples it would 24, couples and friends we could do around 36, if we packed four into every room it'd be 48. So plenty of beer.

Bigtwin, jeblikesbeer, Jobu and 2 others like this.