Other Booze Mixed Drink Recipes

Discussion in 'Whiskey, Wine & Other Booze' started by Michigan, Oct 14, 2013.

1. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

You don't want so much that you have extra to dump out unless you plan to drink it. The atomizer is a great method, but just a splash swirled around and then dumped out (into your mouth or another vessel for future drinks, etc.) will do it. You want no more left in the glass than would be had you poured yourself a shot, swirled it around the glass and drank it. It's a thick drink with some serious legs, so you will see it on the walls of the glassware. It's only going in to provide aroma.

Gonzoillini, FTowne and Lognar like this.
  2. Lognar

Lognar

All this. Also try St. George's Absinthe instead of Lucid if you can find it. I've not heard good things about Lucid in Sazeracs. Also try different eyes. I'm personally not a fan of the high proof of Rittenhouse as I feel it's imbalanced in cocktail.

As for bitters, I do 3 dashes Peychauds and 1 Ango.

3. pmoney

pmoney

Thanks for this. I'm starting to think buying Lucid is where I first went wrong. Luckily I only bought the 375 ml bottle. Even so, it was still like $30+ :(

Gonzoillini and Lognar like this.
  4. Lognar

Lognar

Jeez. Sorry to hear it. I usually buy the 375ml of St. Georges at Binnys for like
    $15.

General cocktail notes I've learned - more often than not 3 things are the biggest factors in why your cocktails taste vastly different (shittier) than those at cocktails bars: you didn't use fresh herbs/juices; your dilution is off; and/or you used the wrong brand/proof/variant of spirit. On the last point, Death & Co's book is a huge help on this and they write at length which spirits they use, why, and in what drinks.

FTowne, nanobrew and Gonzoillini like this.
  5. pmoney

pmoney

I'll seek out St. Georges next time I'm shopping. I'm guessing it has a slightly more mild flavor/aroma compared to Lucid. And I just ordered the book - thanks for the tip!

6. Lognar

Lognar

Most welcome. Thanks to cardinalbruintriton pointing me towards it. I also can't recommend Morgenthaler's The Bar Book enough. It's all about technique and it was a game changer for me.

7. coldcrash

coldcrash

Wife came home w 10# of blueberries last week. After the kids ate their fill, after she baked a pie and a pound cake, the rest were mine. I decided to infuse some white rye and white rum.
    [​IMG]

After five days both liquors have picked up a nice violet hue and blueberry flavor. Made a mojito today w the rum and it was quite tasty!

Kirkse, Jb123, BeersMorgan and 4 others like this.
  8. coldcrash

coldcrash

X-posted from Other Stuff MAW BIF:

Smoked Peach Chipotle Whiskey Sour:

[​IMG]

2 oz white rye
    1 oz fresh lemon juice
    1/2 oz 2:1 simple syrup
    1 egg white
    1 tsp Smoked Peach Bourbon Chipotle Preserves

Dry shake, add ice, wet shake

garnish w lemon twist and 5 dashes Angustora. If you're cooler than me you might do some kind of toothpick swirl on those bitters...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  9. Tyrsis

Tyrsis

Final menu for the party this Saturday.
    Not looking forward to squeezing ~60 limes, but whatever

Snarf, GregorySingh, nanobrew and 5 others like this.
  10. FTowne

FTowne

What's a guy gotta do to get an invite?

Snarf, nanobrew and quirk6 like this.
  11. Tyrsis

Tyrsis

a ZJ

Snarf, GregorySingh, nanobrew and 3 others like this.
  12. NRCards

NRCards

Bruto Americano makes a damn good negroni.

13. nanobrew

nanobrew

Tell me about it!

PM incoming ;)

Go to Specialty Produce, they have some great products, including lime, lemon, and orange juice that is really high quality. It is what I use in my sodas most of the time. When I get home I will look up the brand name of the juices. All of their produce is great, and even though their bread and butter is delivering to top quality local restaurants they are open to the public.

Otherwise I do have an electric food juicer and an electric citrus juicer if you need to borrow them.

14. Tyrsis

Tyrsis

I usually go to Pancho Villa, although North Park Produce has been recommended to me. Whatever is cheaper tbh. Actually squeezing them all isn't that hard, just time consuming.

15. nanobrew

nanobrew

Juicing isn't too bad, especially if you have an electric citrus juicer. The thing that sucks is zesting the peels and processing ginger. I love my Honey Ginger Lime soda, but it is a pain to make from complete scratch, and I unfortunately cannot find a lime zest/peel source.

16. Tyrsis

Tyrsis

We should collaborate on cocktails that include your soda ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

17. Tyrsis

Tyrsis

I have a new appreciation for bartenders after hosting this party. I'd estimate we made 60+ drinks, went through 120 limes.

18. tylerk88

tylerk88

Anyone have a go-to website for drink recipes or a favorite cocktail book?

19. Lognar

Lognar

My Go To 3 Books...
    Morgenthaler's The Bar Book - Best book on technique out there. It's solely responsible for upping my cocktail game to a respectable level. Anyone can throw ingredients together, but technique is what makes a good cocktail and this book is your best friend for that.
    Death & Co's Cocktail Book - Top tier recipes and some of the most complex recipes around. It'll help you dream up ideas and get great advice for what specific brand/type of a given spirit to use and why. This is the book that got me thinking about, for example, what white rum I use and why instead of just using whatever white rum.
    Regan's The Joy of Mixology - Cover to cover recipes and blurbs/history for most recipes. I always consult multiple sources when pinning down a recipe because I like to start with the OG recipe as much as possible and this book generally has the "classic" recipe for a given cocktail. It also has really cool cocktail family charts that show how cocktails are related and that's helped me create my own drinks.

PDT Cocktail Book - Skip it. I own it. Don't use it. Between the above 3 I find it unnecessary. It's in the same ballpark as the Death & Co book (i.e. high end cocktails) and Death & Co. does it better in my opinion. The stories and anecdotes are a good read though.

DougOLis, Snarf, bobertkuekn and 4 others like this.
  20. FTowne

FTowne

I want you to make cocktails for me.