MMA thread

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by beerandraiderfan, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Thanks to a good suggestion by a fellow BT'r, we now have an MMA thread.

First topic:

How bad is Jon Jones gonna murder Gustaffson this weekend?

That should be some Buster Douglas/Mike Tyson betting lines. Gustaffson does nothing better than Jones. Not even close. He looked terrible against Phil Davis (a relatively one dimensional wrestler, albeit a GREAT wrestler).

Guys I think would beat Gustaffson (other than Jones) at LHW: Dan Henderson, Lyoto Machida, Glover Texiera, Phil Davis (again), Ryan Bader, Gegard Mousasi, Rashad Evans, Chael Sonnen, Lil Nog (not so confident on that one though), Vitor Belfort (assuming still roiding/trt), Anderson Silva, Matt Hamill, Mo Lawal etc. . .

Barao gonna kill Wineland on the co-main event as well.

Not worth buying.

GSP v. Hendricks will be the next card I buy. Discuss?

libbey likes this.
  2. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

No one can compete with Jones at 205. Gustaffson is better than you give credit, but not a chance this weekend.

beerandraiderfan likes this.
  3. libbey

libbey

yup

4. Has he ever stopped a takedown attempt from a wrestler? UFC has been pretty protective of him against style matchups.

You think Cormier would have a chance at 205 (not that I think he can make the cut)?

5. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

He wrecked Matt Hamill, a very competent wrestler.

You're basing too much on his Phil Davis fight. No one looks good against Davis.

libbey likes this.
  6. libbey

libbey

I thought Jone's base was wrestling?
    Greco?

7. Yeah, he caught him with a punch when he stepped in on short notice, after his wife left him, took his child, and ultimately retired. . . Hamill wasn't Hamill at that point in his life, but you got me, I did forget they fought.

Rashad looked pretty good dominating Davis 50-45 on all 3 judges cards. . . I scored it the same.

8. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

He's saying now that he will be at 205 after the Nelson fight.

No, I don't think he can beat Jones. He can slow the fight down for a few rounds, but eventually, Jones' explosiveness and athleticism will shine.

9. Yes then no.

He probably would have been an all-american at Iowa State.

10. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Shad definitely dominated Davis....but he didnt look good doing it.

11. I don't think he'd win either. But he and Machida have the best chance at winning a decision (and yes I know Machida got dumped on his head after standing guillotine). Dan Henderson is the best chance to KO Jones.

12. Maybe not from an entertainment standpoint. . .

libbey likes this.
  13. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

My point is, Phil Davis' game plan is to muck it up, grind you down, and work his submissions. Maybe that's Gus' kryptonite. I don't feel as if many LHWs can duplicate the Davis performance against him.

14. JM03

JM03

The only one who can stop Bones is himself. If he stays focused, no one can match his skill set and athleticism. If his head starts getting too big, anything could happen.

15. stxSS07

stxSS07

Don't see Jonesy losing for a good while. Have to confess that I mainly only keep up on Hwt/205...follow 185 sporadically for da bigger fights.

16. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Eventually, he'll move to HW to pursue the big name fights. There are some interesting matchups there based on size alone. As much as I hate him, he can beat most, if not all, of the HW's as well. His only challenges will be the guys who can test his chin. Even then, its a tough task.

beerandraiderfan likes this.
  17. JM03

JM03

Def a whole new ball game if/when he moves to HW. I agree that he can still beat most/all of those guys too.

The whole superfight with Spider talk is ridiculous. Spider wouldn't make it out of round 1. If this was 6-7 years ago it would be different, but now its not even close.

18. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Jones is a monstrous LHW. Anderson is a tall MW, but as far as weight and muscle mass, Anderson thinks he can hit 175 for a GSP superfight.

JM03 likes this.
  19. I would be interested in seeing how Phil Davis develops over the next couple of years. Jones was training mma while Davis was still winning a national title in wrestling I believe. That would have been an epic wrestling match, I'm sure Penn State and Iowa State probably wrestle each other in the team duals . . .

They have a similar frame, reach, wrestling base, etc. . .

But yeah, he has a long way to go before I think he would have a chance against Jones. But he's the best chance from what I see out there right now, aside from puncher's chance stuff that you get if he found D. Hendo or Cormier/Nelson (although we should stop dreaming about either of those guys fighting at 205).

Time to go home and watch A's/Rangers. Goooo A's.

Imagine the awesome fights Herchel Walker and Brock Lesnar could have been having if they both trained mma from day 1. . .

JM03 likes this.
  20. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

Bellator tonight. Not a great card but eh, its mma.

Blagoi Ivanov has a shitload of potential if he ever decides to stick with MMA full time. Always watching his career with great interest.