Moving a cellar cross-country

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 305169

Reaction score
Wife and I are moving from Dallas to Seattle in the next few weeks. Making a couple flights back and forth before the final move, so we'll be able to move the nicest ~150 bottles ourselves. Moving company provided by the relocation service doesn't touch alcohol, so it's time to explore options for getting the remaining ~400 up there.

Shipping a bunch of individual boxes seems inefficient & costly. Anyone have experience with packing everything on a pallet & shipping freight?

Wife and I are moving from Dallas to Seattle in the next few weeks. Making a couple flights back and forth before the final move, so we'll be able to move the nicest ~150 bottles ourselves. Moving company provided by the relocation service doesn't touch alcohol, so it's time to explore options for getting the remaining ~400 up there.

Shipping a bunch of individual boxes seems inefficient & costly. Anyone have experience with packing everything on a pallet & shipping freight?

No experience shipping, but I can help you get rid of a few of those :)

Most moving companies say they won't move alcohol, but if you have them in shippers and the boxes closed they won't ask questions and just load em up.

I did that on my move to Texas a few years ago. It was in the spring though, so I wasn't worried about conditions. Real problem there though is length of time in the truck, not as quick as fedex or whatever.

Have going away party, drink lots of them, ship remaining in unmarked shippers that don't wildly advertise their alcoholic content, start fresh in Seattle, profit.

giphy.gif

Most moving companies say they won't move alcohol, but if you have them in shippers and the boxes closed they won't ask questions and just load em up.
This moving service does all the packing for us too. They said if we pack even a single box ourselves, they cannot insure the move at all. Got a feeling that the phone policy != actual policy when the guys show up, so this feels like the best option.

I did that on my move to Texas a few years ago. It was in the spring though, so I wasn't worried about conditions. Real problem there though is length of time in the truck, not as quick as fedex or whatever.
Time on the truck does worry me. Not sure what I can be done about that, though.

Pallettize a bunch of shippers and ship freight?

Yeah, a few years back one of the teams in the Gang Bang BIF shipped a bunch of boxes and a sixtel keg to their target, and Brandon helped them with the logistics of drop-shipping it all on a pallet. It was either his team that shipped or he walked another team through the process, can't remember.

Yeah, a few years back one of the teams in the Gang Bang BIF shipped a bunch of boxes and a sixtel keg to their target, and Brandon helped them with the logistics of drop-shipping it all on a pallet. It was either his team that shipped or he walked another team through the process, can't remember.

blue_bleeder

This moving service does all the packing for us too. They said if we pack even a single box ourselves, they cannot insure the move at all. Got a feeling that the phone policy != actual policy when the guys show up, so this feels like the best option.

Time on the truck does worry me. Not sure what I can be done about that, though.

Woof. That move I mentioned theyd insure the load, except anything packed by myself.. not insuring the whole load is crazy. What about attic stuff that's in storage boxes? Are they going to unpack and repack those?

Try a different company? If you really want a company to move it. We had them pack and move us, but had alcohol packed in crates labeled something else. They were super against alcohol, but I did it anyways. From another move I just gave them some bottles and was not a problem.

Try a different company? If you really want a company to move it.
Gonna just venture to guess that his new job is paying relocation through a specific company?

That's what happened when I moved from Florida. I didn't get a choice.

I also was able to fit all my beer in the car, cause I'm not cray.

I say take the nicest bottles and throw yourself a going away party with the rest. Not worth the hassle.

Didn't he just rent a u-haul and drive them himself? With a large cellar that might be your most cost-effective option. Just be careful about driving through Utah.

You don't even need a truck -- staged each end using wine storage facilities, got a one-way SUV rental, SeaWatchman helped me load boxes, set the cruise control to 5mph over the speed limit and went around Utah (and crossed into CA around midnight so they wouldn't feel like searching me for agricultural products). Got an audiobook of In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette and drove from Denver to SF in 22 hours flat.

Packed up a bunch of shippers with this plan. Movers arrived this morning, asked what was in the boxes, and politely declined to put them on the truck.

Looks like it's pallet time, biglobo8971

You don't even need a truck -- staged each end using wine storage facilities, got a one-way SUV rental, SeaWatchman helped me load boxes, set the cruise control to 5mph over the speed limit and went around Utah (and crossed into CA around midnight so they wouldn't feel like searching me for agricultural products). Got an audiobook of In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette and drove from Denver to SF in 22 hours flat.

That was actually a really fun day. I have never in my life seen so much old English beer in one place.

Packed up a bunch of shippers with this plan. Movers arrived this morning, asked what was in the boxes, and politely declined to put them on the truck.

Looks like it's pallet time, biglobo8971
If you're going to palatalize your shipment look into LTL consolidators/3PL it is unlikely they're going to accept the usual vaguery used by the community but these would be the cheapest options available. Avoid FOB Collect.

If you're going to palatalize your shipment look into LTL consolidators/3PL it is unlikely they're going to accept the usual vaguery used by the community but these would be the cheapest options available. Avoid FOB Collect.
Eh now that I think about it the FOB collect is completely irrelevant. Strike.

biglobo8971 was clutch! Ended up shipping 30 total boxes (~1000lbs) on a pallet from DAL to SEA for under $400. No chance we could've done this without Brandon's help. What a badass.

Wife and I packed it up ourselves at the origin. Pallet pr0n:
cLaZaNg.jpg

DjYeKo0.jpg

sRsPMrY.jpg

I'll post pics showing its delivered condition when we pick it up Sunday.

TLDR: If you have lots of beer to ship, biglobo8971 is the guy to call.

Back