US - South Nashville

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by jakeox, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Imstillthegman

Imstillthegman

Dammit...you're right! Well, let us know if you find something good!

2. t sizzle

t sizzle

Is everything in fairly up to date? I'll be passing through next month and I'd like to make a couple of stops.

3. harrymel

harrymel

Any updates TheGordianKnot?

Any suggestions on good whiskey selections?

Super dope bbq ribs?

Staying near Vanderbilt in late May. Thanks!

RayP likes this.
  4. TheGordianKnot

TheGordianKnot

So many things have changed in the past 2.5 years since that first write up... There are some new breweries, I definitely recommend checking out Smith & Lentz, Bearded Iris, and Southern Grist; the last two have only been open 2 months now.

My favorite BBQ in town is Martins, there are a couple locations; and Peg Leg Porker (which is right behind Yazoo/Jackalope) is really awesome as well. In addition to BBQ, please do yourself a favor and check out Thunderbird - it is a food truck that is located at Craft Brewed on weekends. Thunderbird is hands down the best chicken I've ever had in my life. Get the thighs and the smoked mac n cheese. The owner is one of the nicest guys around, too.

I'm not the best to ask on whiskey/bourbon, especially at retail; but for one of the best meals/cocktails/spirits selections and overall experience in town you must hit up Husk... seriously

Hop Stop is a newer (wasn't around during my first post) beer bar in Nashville, on the east side. It's probably my favorite one now.

Lastly, if you are making your brewery rounds and happen to hit up Southern Grist Brewing, ask for Jared. That's me... and it's my place. Would love to have a fellow TB'er in and chat, as well as share something nice with you

5. hangdrop

hangdrop

Damn, thanks for this. Driving down from Louisville with a friend on the 16th for his birthday, but hadn't made any plans other than "drink beer." Looks like you're def gonna be the first stop.

TheGordianKnot likes this.
  6. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini

Headed down tomorrow with fear025 and my father for the weekend / Funk Festival on Saturday.

Will be trying to hit Bearded Iris, Southern Grist as a couple of new breweries I haven't had a chance to check out on my first couple of trips, but what is it with the late opening times for almost every brewery in Nashville? Something to do with a city ordinance? Or just a business decision?

I'm used to Chicagoland places opening up on Noon Friday - Sunday.

Will likely be at Yazoo around opening tomorrow and then will be hitting up the New Belgium event at 7 tomorrow night if any fellow TB members will be around.

7. broost3r

broost3r

i'm coming to town tomorrow for the first time, but i'll be staying in franklin with 2 coworkers and only one rental car. any bottle shop and food suggestions for that area? looks like we're a good 20 miles from southern grist but i might try to uber up there and check it out.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  8. TheGordianKnot

TheGordianKnot

Definitely hit up Mantra.. great taproom right by downtown Franklin area; they are putting out some awesome beer. Brewhouse South is close with a lot of taps, most of them are good craft. Lastly, I've heard Casual Pint is awesome, but I moved away from the Franklin area before they opened, so I haven't experienced myself.

Red Dog and The Bottle Shop (on McEwen, right next to Whole Foods) are the two best bottle shops in the area. Cool Springs Wine and Spirits is also good.

Food wise, there is a hot chicken place in Franklin called Big Shakes - if you're looking to try Nashville hot chicken but won't be by the city, this'll do you well. Tupelo Honey just opened a location south of Nashville that won't be far. There are some other restaurants with decent (for the area) taplists if you want more basic food - Brixx for wood fired pizzas is the main one that jumps out.

9. broost3r

broost3r

thanks! had dinner at tupelo honey last night. hot chicken is on the list for sure. appreciate the detailed response.

10. SwoldierBoiTellEm

SwoldierBoiTellEm

Anything new worth mentioning TheGordianKnot? I just got in town and will be around until Saturday. Staying at the Aloft and have a car. I think I'm planning to hit breweries, including yours, tomorrow during the day. Hattie B's and Peg Leg are definitely on the list at some point as well.

Oh, and YITBOS!

thebandit1, michael and Gonzoillini like this.
  11. michael

michael

[​IMG]
    Bump. Gonna be in town this weekend for a bachelor party. Anything different than what's already included in this thread I should know about?

12. Snarf

Snarf

So close-ish and yet so far.

13. michael

michael

Don't think I'm not well aware. One day...

Snarf likes this.
  14. TheGordianKnot

TheGordianKnot

A new brewery just opened up a week or so ago in the vicinity of Smith & Lentz and Southern Grist called East Nashville Beer Works... Haven't had the pleasure of checking them out myself quite yet, but I am going to try to swing by this weekend

Everything else is pretty same 'ol

15. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

Hey guys, my parents are going to Nashville tomorrow through Wednesday. They're big beer people and my dad has mapped some stuff out but where and what should they be drinking? My dad likes everything, my mom is into sour beers more than anything else.

Also, what should I ask them to bring me?

Gonzoillini likes this.
  16. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

Bumping cause I can.

My parents got there yesterday, sounds like they had a good time last night. They went down to Mantra this morning, and they're at Bearded Iris right now. My mom just texted me a picture of a four-pack of the new Chasing Rainbows IPA they're bringing me and single cans of Attention Please, Homestyle and Scatterbrain. Anything else I should have them keep an eye out for? Good bottled saisons anywhere?

17. Snarf

Snarf

Chaising Rainbows is the worst Bearded Iris has canned by a lot. It's bad hazy. Love their other beers. Not much else to look for in cans or bottles. Southern Grist might have cans and does crowlers.

FoudreGuy likes this.
  18. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

That's a bummer. Still excited to try it and the other three IPAs, though.

Snarf likes this.
  19. Snarf

Snarf

I hope it's better from the brewery and the cans had a bad trip up here. Everything else is great. It's nice to finally have some beer that I want to buy here and that it's brewed in TN is even better. Really cool tap room vibe, too. Hope your folks liked it.

FoudreGuy likes this.
  20. trio2shine

trio2shine

Heading to Nashville with the wife in late May. I'm sure she'll entertain a stop or two. Anything outside of Yazoo, Southern Grist, Bearded Iris and Smith and Lentz that would be worth a stop if I'm limited to a couple stops while in Nashville? Staying at the Omni without a car so hoping to walk/short Uber to any available options.

Also any recommendations for an upscale-ish dining option? Tried to convince the wife on the Catbird Seat although she isn't a very adventurous eater so the lack of knowing the menu for that evening made it a no-go. Thanks in advance!

blue_bleeder and Gonzoillini like this.