NBO: 2018-2019 TalkBeets Fantasy Hockey (Keeper League???)

Discussion in 'Beer-It-Forward' started by Beerologist, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Beerologist

Beerologist

We are about a month out from the start of the NHL season, a few days from opening night, and I am once again procrastinating so I figured I get this rolling.

[​IMG]

Here's the run down.
    10 or 12 teams, priority goes to previous managers., running through Yahoo. Draft TBD once we have all the managers.

The regular season winner will receive a box from last years regular season winner (imfrommichigan I believe)
    Top three receive boxes:
    First place receives four boxes, from teams 10, 9, 8, &7
    Second place receives two boxes, from teams 6 & 5
    Third place receives one box, from team 4
    Boxes will have a 66 oz minimum, 100-ish oz maximum, of great local beer - priority to great beer but I love highlighting under the radar locals if they exist around you. Hockey and/or Beer swag also encouraged.

Details – mostly same as last year:
    This will be a H2H league.
    Skater stats are G, A. +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, Shots, Hits, Blocks.
    Goalie stats are W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO.
    16 starters (2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 2 F, 4 D, 2 utility, 2 goalies), 6 bench spots, 1 IR spot and 1 IR+ spot (day to day, inactive, suspension, etc.).

Ideally we can start this up as a keepers league this year. I’ve been thinking a bit about the logistics of how many players a team can keep (thinking 1C, 1RW, 1LW, 2D, 1G), how kept players affect the following years draft (lose a selection at the kept players previous year draft position) and other rules that would be incorporated (no keeping 1st & 2nd? round picks). As soon as we get all managers on board we can iron out the details.

No fantasy sports experience necessary, but trade/BIF references will be checked. Smack talk is welcome, but don't be a dick.

Last year we had some side boxes going around to the manager with a player that had:
    Hat Trick
    Gordie Howe Hat Trick
    2 Shutouts in a week
    maybe some others...
    Whichever manager was sitting on one at the end of last season will be responsible to start these up again this year.

If you're interested, post here and send me a message with the following info:
    Name
    Address
    Phone #
    Email address
    Shirt size
    Favorite beer styles
    Favorite NHL team

Paging past managers and others that have shown interest: GRDave mjshearer1 Pneill316 pgh_penguins ckoop Kraftster uvm2003 kcherney @SaltyMalty(whoever you are now) imfrommichigan Jackstraw22 dannyw2594 Hopping Tiger

ckoop, Kraftster and uvm2003 like this.
  2. GRDave

GRDave

3. mjshearer1

mjshearer1

I'm out this go around. Appreciate you guys and the league and had fun the past couple of years. Cheers! :)

ckoop, Pneill316, Kraftster and 2 others like this.
  4. dannyw2594

dannyw2594

I'm in and will be a more responsible fantasy coach this season! Im about to be moving but I'll send you my contact info as soon.

ckoop, Pneill316, Kraftster and 3 others like this.
  5. Beerologist

Beerologist

Can’t give this a like. It’s been great having you the past few years. I’ll be in touch if we’re short a team;)

ckoop, mjshearer1, Pneill316 and 3 others like this.
  6. uvm2003

uvm2003

Def in!

ckoop, Pneill316, Kraftster and 2 others like this.
  7. kcherney

kcherney

In in in.

GRDave, ckoop, Pneill316 and 2 others like this.
  8. kcherney

kcherney

Also... could we please include "points" as a stat category? Not including overall points as a category does a disservice to the good teams and creates a lot of additional randomness in the H2H results. I think I posted about it last offseason but I'm still interested in making the change.

If we're concerned about there being too many categories, could we maybe consider removing short-handed points? Or removing PIMs since we already have hits?

Beerologist and Kraftster like this.
  9. Kraftster

Kraftster

In!

Personally not a fan of points category. "Good" teams are relative (to the league scoring system). Category leagues inherently devalue scoring stats by weighting them equal (save for the points that hit twice as g/a and ppg/ppa) to other stats.

I do agree shp is pretty random and not that skilled-based, so not the biggest fan of shp. But just removing a cat then skews the nice skater/goalie balance this league has.

Honestly, I had reservations about the scoring format in my first year, but I think it has created a really nice league that helps maintain a reasonably robust waiver wire despite deep rosters. My vote is to leave as is.

GRDave, kcherney, ckoop and 2 others like this.
  10. Pneill316

Pneill316

Definitely in!

GRDave, Kraftster and ckoop like this.
  11. Beerologist

Beerologist

This is pretty much where I stand as well. I'm not really a fan of double dipping on the stats more than we do with special teams points counting in multiple categories.

If I were to mess with any stat it would probably be PIMs. My view of having the categories that we have is that it allows for different strategies to get a team to the top, with some randomness/luck involved as well - SHP, PIMs, and Shutouts are wildcards on a week to week basis (at least much more so than some other stats).

With that said, although I am organizing the league, if we get maybe 6-7 managers that really want a change (any change) I'm happy to do so even if I'm on the opposing side. We're gonna have a lot to nail down regarding how keepers will work for this year and drafts beyond and I'm all for opening up these conversations to everyone that's involved.

GRDave, Kraftster, kcherney and 2 others like this.
  12. ckoop

ckoop

Back in for year 3!

GRDave, Pneill316 and Beerologist like this.
  13. kcherney

kcherney

Well it appears that the people have spoken and I'm an idiot!

14. Beerologist

Beerologist

We're at 8 and looking for 2 more. If anyone knows imfrommichigan and can point him back here I'd appreciate it. Not sure he's been active recently but would love to get him back on board.

Also the departure of mjshearer1 leaves one spot open to a new manager (Hopping Tiger ???). Lets fill this up and start discussing keeper details.

imfrommichigan and Pneill316 like this.
  15. litheum94

litheum94

I'd be interested in joining if there is room. Not sure what's going on with the other TB league, and I need to be in at least 1 league!

16. Beerologist

Beerologist

You're in, shoot me a PM with everything from the first post.

I'm still gonna give priority for the 10th spot to imfrommichigan until next Monday (Sept. 24th). If I don't hear anything from him by then, that 10th spot is open to anyone thats interested. Even if he doesn't join this year I'm expecting him to send a box to the winner of the regular season this year as the agreed upon prior to receiving it last year.

If we get 2 more on top of that interested in joining, I'm good with 12 teams instead of 10.

17. litheum94

litheum94

18. Lognar

Lognar

This is also me.

Count me as second for the 10th spot.

19. Lognar

Lognar

Thanks brotha!

Pneill316, Beerologist and litheum94 like this.
  20. Beerologist

Beerologist

Done, you're at the top of the list

Pneill316 and Lognar like this.